Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ska Music??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What is ska music? I have read it in a book but didnt really no any and it was the first time i have ever heard of it lol
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What is ska music? I have read it in a book but didnt really no any and it was the first time i have ever heard of it lol
    the most commercial band i can think of ...from the seventies was ...'the specials'.
  • Options
    popular music of Jamaican origin that combines elements of traditional Caribbean rhythms and jazz

Though in the more popular sense, bands such as Sublime and such would fit into the catagory.
  • Options
    Jamaican music originating in the 50's. A precursor to reggae. An emphasis on the offbeat and jazzy horns. Good stuff. :cool:
  • Options
    Ahh.....Is there many bands around like that now?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Jamaican music originating in the 50's. A precursor to reggae. An emphasis on the offbeat and jazzy horns. Good stuff. :cool:

Though most people now think of ska as Two Tone and Ska Punk.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    the ordinary boys song has elements of 80's ska as in madness and two-tone record label.. no doubt's early stuff has a ska-like sound. less than jake and rancid do the ska-punk kinda thing.

ska songs.. hmm... the liquidator by harry j allstar...the israelites.. a message to you rudy... pressure drop by toots and the maytalls.. i can't think of any others, but my dad likes it. :P
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Though most people now think of ska as Two Tone and Ska Punk.

They'd be wrong though.

I don't get this current vogue for ska punk. Culture Shock did it much better back in the 80's.
    </old git>
  • Options
    ska-core / ska-punk ... some decent bands.. Farse, capdown, sublime.. though if you listened to some old ska and then these you might nto notice the similiarities...
  • Options
    Bad Manners spring to mind. Madness were a kind of commercial shite version of it. Like what Poison were to rock and roll.

Less Than Jake have ska elements to them and are a fucking ace live act.
  • Options
    Thanks people :D I understand it atlast!! :p
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote:
    the ordinary boys song has elements of 80's ska as in madness and two-tone record label.. no doubt's early stuff has a ska-like sound. less than jake and rancid do the ska-punk kinda thing.

:yes:
  • Options
    Madness are probably the most famous example of two-tone/whatever u call it.

ska-punk you're lookin at Less Than Jake, CapDown, Streetlight Manifesto, Minions Of Jeffrey
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    Madness are probably the most famous example of two-tone/whatever u call it.

ska-punk you're lookin at Less Than Jake, CapDown, Streetlight Manifesto, Minions Of Jeffrey

haha, no way did you name the Minions :) good band they are, for Bolton anyway.

I really like Less Than Jake, I thought that was ska but apparently its ska-punk... but I'm not sure about other stuff, I've not heard much really. But LTJ, mint.
  • Options
    i thought i'd give my buddies a shout out !!
  • Options
    to the original poster: find the website for MoonSka Records. They put out a load of skapunk/generally ska orientated music that is a pretty good intro into the music.
  • Options
    to the original poster: find the website for MoonSka Records. They put out a load of skapunk/generally ska orientated music that is a pretty good intro into the music.

Yeah... they also make most of their bands split up :)
  • Options
    This is a better introduction
    http://www.trojan-records.com/