Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Intermittant beep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My pc Intermittently makes a beep sound! It's kind of like the sound you get that accompanys a warning message, like when my batterys are going dead in my mouse and up pops a message saying telling me so and it makes this beep sound. I definetely know it's not the mouse though as i just changed the batterys. Neither is it a virus as i did a complete scan of the pc for virus' / trojan's / adware /spyware /malware etc etc ..

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Options
    Beep from where? The Motherboard or the Speakers?
  • Options
    my gfs brother had this problem, turned out to be some very nasty spyware. i had to blitz his whole machine very thoroughly to get rid of it. that sucks mate!
  • Options
    Look in windows task manager and see what processes are running. There will be a number of them, delete anything that looks suspect or anything you know you're not using.
  • Options
    i tried all that, ran numerous spy ware finding tools, uninstalled all progs one by one, re-installed windows, in the end i had to format however...
  • Options
    Nothing in the process list i dont recognise, used processlibrary to check the running process'. I dont believe it could be anything nasty, i have so much software for preventing / detecting all that shit if there was something nasty i would know.

I'm just wondering if maybe it is, for example, something like the battery warning level except theres no message popping up. Ah, i dont know really.
  • Options
    are all your fans spinning properly? and the metal bits behind them not choked with dust?
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    are all your fans spinning properly? and the metal bits behind them not choked with dust?

I'll have to check that actually. Gave it a clean not too long again, though i can see that would be a possible cause.
  • Options
    So the beep is coming from the motherboard>?
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to answer your question! No it's coming through the speakers . .

ETA: it hasnt happened for a while now, since i made this thread in fact.
  • Options
    What does the beep sound like?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The motherboard battery may be running low... (just a suggestion)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Is it not that theres only a battery on motherboards in Dell pcs
    There is a battery on EVERY motherboard =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    There is a battery on EVERY motherboard =\
    Although on many it is built into the RTC module, so there's nothing that looks like a battery
  • Options
    It's only done it twice yesterday, it's very odd.

As for what it sounds like. Under sounds and audio it's called " asterisk ", have a look on your computer to listen to the preview of it and you'll hear the sound i get.

Like i said it has only happened twice yesterday. I've never experienced it before. if it were a warning fo a battery for the clock in the pc, well i'd imagine i'd have heard it sooner than now because it's never been changed sinc ei got this pc and that was a good few years ago now.