Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How much money?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
OK I have just calculated that I will have 4195 per year for uni from 'public funds'.

1700 in tuition fees
2239 in student loans
1409 in bursary

if i live in edinburgh, how much including tuition fees will i have to spend per year. Is it more that what the gov. is giving me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure but don't forget you can add about £3,000 a year to your income by working over the summer holidays (even if you can't work during term time- which a lot of students, myself included, manage to do)
    I know I can work - I already have enough savings to get me through Uni - but how much will it cost me per year? Just curious. I did look for other threads on this but couldnt find any in this section.
    only you can work that out

work out what all your outgoings are
    depends - will you be living at home or in halls? how many books and equipment for your course will you need? how much will you be going out? then there's food etc... id guess you will be spending more than the government are giving you as most people cant survive on that alone but im not sure, as you do seem to be getting a fair bit.
    Well accom will probably be about 70

Food (Innocent smoothie budget included) 40

Book etc shouldnt be too much as most of
    the philosophy books I have already so mebby 10

Extras at the mo fifty plus drinking 70

So 190? Plus Tutor fees. That is a very generous guesstimate of course.

So in a year - 8 months would be..... wow 6 grand no way ok redo budget.

right ok i can get it down to 150 should be ok. I will have a part time job, plus the money I made this year.

so that is.... 4800 much more like it plus 1700 is lets say 6500. Not too bad, so I just need another 2 grand a year.

Hahaha only 3 more grand and I will have enough to pay my way through uni - all without my parent's help!!!! :yippe:
    Why the fuck did I just put that in a post????!!! :confused:

Sorry for my ramblings guys.
    talia wrote:
    Well accom will probably be about 70

Food (Innocent smoothie budget included) 40

Book etc shouldnt be too much as most of
    the philosophy books I have already so mebby 10

Extras at the mo fifty plus drinking 70

So 190? Plus Tutor fees. That is a very generous guesstimate of course.

So in a year - 8 months would be..... wow 6 grand no way ok redo budget.

right ok i can get it down to 150 should be ok. I will have a part time job, plus the money I made this year.

so that is.... 4800 much more like it plus 1700 is lets say 6500. Not too bad, so I just need another 2 grand a year.

Hahaha only 3 more grand and I will have enough to pay my way through uni - all without my parent's help!!!! :yippe:
    Buy a hand blender for £15. Make your own smoothies. If you are self-funding and need to cut down your outgoings the get the £40 a week on food down to £25.
    £40 a week on food?!?!?!?!?!?!

i can feed myself on £10 a week.
    me too. i only have about £50 a week to live on anyway so if i actually couldnt spend that much on food!
    And what on earth are you "extras plus drinking" that are going to cost you £70 a week?
    well you can always work something like 8 hours a week, or something like that, which gets you £40 ish a week (random maths!) and it also keeps you away from being able to spend money while you are at work
    Randomgirl wrote:
    And what on earth are you "extras plus drinking" that are going to cost you £70 a week?

I was wondering that myself. Also, from my experience books tend to be a lot more than you expect, especially if you have to buy them new.
    talia wrote:
    OK I have just calculated that I will have 4195 per year for uni from 'public funds'.

1700 in tuition fees
    2239 in student loans
    1409 in bursary

if i live in edinburgh, how much including tuition fees will i have to spend per year. Is it more that what the gov. is giving me?

you have to pay tuition fees, it isnt something where you get money
    MrG wrote:
    you have to pay tuition fees, it isnt something where you get money

some people get theirs paid for them.

i wouldn't recommend buying books before you go. wait and see if you can manage without. i bought 4 books costing around £100 for all of them and i never use them.
    Well I live in scotland, so my tuition fees are paid for me by the very generous devolved gov. we have up here :razz:

Food, I tend buy good quality (exspensive) stuff, especially fruit - mangoes etc. Although honestly I have no idea how much it will cost. Although I made a meal for me and two other friends, and it cost me £15. If you survive on a tenner a week, what do you actually eat? Also there are certain supermarkets that I refuse to shop in on principle - m and s, tesco, and asda. ALongside being a vegetarian, and buying stuff from a smaller pakistani shop (which imports REAL asian food, it kinda adds up I think. Although perhaps I am just a food snob?

The extras mean train fairs etc. Like to visit my family for a weekend it would cost me £25 in travel alone. Also if I need a new coat or something. As for the books, as I am doing philosophy already, and my parents have most of the most 'done' uni books £10 per WEEK i imagine should be enough? WHat courses do you guys take that it costs so much for books?

Thanks for all the help btw :)
    Enough spare for a new coat or something everyweek? Blimey.

Wish I could have my fees paid when I go to uni :(
    Its just a guesstimate. I dont actually intend to spend that much money if I can possibly help it. At the moment though, I am spending £30 a week, but only going out once, for lunch or to the cinema or something. But I suppose everything is slightly cheaper when you are a student. At the moment it costs me £7 just for a cinema ticket!
    talia wrote:
    Well I live in scotland, so my tuition fees are paid for me by the very generous devolved gov. we have up here :razz:

Food, I tend buy good quality (exspensive) stuff, especially fruit - mangoes etc. Although honestly I have no idea how much it will cost. Although I made a meal for me and two other friends, and it cost me £15. If you survive on a tenner a week, what do you actually eat? Also there are certain supermarkets that I refuse to shop in on principle - m and s, tesco, and asda. ALongside being a vegetarian, and buying stuff from a smaller pakistani shop (which imports REAL asian food, it kinda adds up I think. Although perhaps I am just a food snob?

The extras mean train fairs etc. Like to visit my family for a weekend it would cost me £25 in travel alone. Also if I need a new coat or something. As for the books, as I am doing philosophy already, and my parents have most of the most 'done' uni books £10 per WEEK i imagine should be enough? WHat courses do you guys take that it costs so much for books?

Thanks for all the help btw :)

if you can afford to spend that much on food a week then go for it. but you really don't need to. well if you don't like tesco, asda or m&s then why not somewhere like morrisons? and yes i think you may be being a food snob! i thought i was, but you're worse! when you're at uni you may find you have to cut back on a few of your posher foods. you don't need to buy the most expensive things all the time (i don't mean buy cheapy stuff like tesco value).

i tend to eat a pasta dish of some sort (maybe spag bol or carbonara or something) once a week. maybe a jacket potato (dirt cheap and really filling). then other days i try to eat a meat of some sort with some veg..dunno really can't think! but it's never cost me more than £15.
    (i don't mean buy cheapy stuff like tesco value).

Although, in mine and my friends experience.... ASDA smart price range is nicer than other brands!

When we went camping we had more than enough to buy all the expensiver stuff, yet we bought EVERYTHING smartprice and saved the rest of the money to buy a posher tent. And we ate like KINGS, we really didnt feel like we'd sacrificed... Our favourite was the SmartPrice equivalentr of SuperNoodles, 8p instead of 40p, and theyre NICER!
    the best tesco value thing has to be their midget gems!

generally i just spend the extra bit and buy the normal supermarket brand.
    the best tesco value thing has to be their midget gems!

generally i just spend the extra bit and buy the normal supermarket brand.

NOt that experienced in Tesco Value (our stores only been open a few months) but I know the sweets are meant to be good... the boyf is obsessed with tesco.
    if i could afford to, id love to shop for all my food in M&S but i just cant.. i like nice food but you dont have to pay to get that. right now because im totally skint im buying practically everything from smartprice type ranges and its not bad... i eat a lot of pasta and veg and toast and noodles. you can also get very cheap meat if you look at the ones that are just about to go out of date. buy/make some sauce to go with it and there you go!!

you'll find once you start uni you'll soon get into budgeting because if you dont, you really wont manage. after a few months you'll realise how much you really can afford to spend on food, how much you'll need for going out etc. its just a case of trying to think before you buy and asking yourself if its really necessary.
    Well I will see what happens at uni i suppose. I wont spend as much as others, because I dont eat anything like ready meals - ill just need fruit, veg, rice, noodles, spices that sort of thing, which may bring the cost down. I would say I am quite good at budgeting, I have managed to save 70% of the money I have earned this year, without a proper budget, which I will draft up for UNI.
    talia wrote:
    Well I will see what happens at uni i suppose. I wont spend as much as others, because I dont eat anything like ready meals - ill just need fruit, veg, rice, noodles, spices that sort of thing, which may bring the cost down. I would say I am quite good at budgeting, I have managed to save 70% of the money I have earned this year, without a proper budget, which I will draft up for UNI.

you're being very organised!
    unless you have a car you kinda have to shop at wherever is closer, or wherever your housemate with a car goes