Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

just say no ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

8stageshead4hb.gif

FIRST STAGE: Characteristic euphoria, or feeling of unnatural well-being and lightheadedness.

SECOND STAGE: Intellectual excitation, dissociation of ideas, and exaggeration of emotions.

THIRD STAGE: Illusion in regard to time and space.

FOURTH STAGE: Intense auditory sensibility, where ever musical sound is distorted.

FIFTH STAGE: Fixation of ideas, which are derived by the suggestibility of near-by stimuli.

SIXTH STAGE: Overbalancing emotional disturbances.

SEVENTH STAGE: Culmination of the sixth stage, where the overexcited and distraught subject may commit violent irresponsible acts due to irresistible impulses of suggestive origin.

EIGHTH STAGE: Hallucination, varied and often terrifying.

" . . . During these [early] stages the will power, the inhibitions, and the restraints have been destroyed. One in this state may, at a moment's notice, become dangerous; for there is no censor in his consciousness to help him accept the good and reject the bad suggestions and stimuli. The criterion of right and wrong he had been taught from childhood up has been lost during intoxication.

The later stages, commencing with the fifth phase and becoming progressively worse until the eighth, produce the anti-social tendencies. Acute mania often occurs, wherein the subject will leave in his wake revolting crimes."

Source: On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness by Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell,
Pacific Press Publishing, 1939.

Another excerpt from On the Trail of Marihuana, the Weed of Madness:
"We now know that marihuana --

Destroys will power, making a jellyfish of the user. He cannot say no.
Eliminates the line between right and wrong, and substitues one's own warped desires
or the base suggestions of others as the standard of right.
Above all, causes crime; fills the victim with an irrepressible urge to violence.
Incites to revolting immoralities, including rape and murder.
Causes many accidents, but industrial and automobile.
Ruins careers forever.
Causes insanity as its specialty.
Either in self-defense or as a means of revenue, users make smokers of others, thus perpetuating the evil."
[italics were not added, they appeared in the original source]

Source: On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness by Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell, Pacific Press Publishing, 1939, p. 33

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First to fifth stages are decent descriptions...but the fact that modern cannabis law can still be based upon the bullshit that follows is truly mind-boggling.
    Rev. Robert James Devine, Assassin of Youth: Marihuana
    1943 ". . . THE DOPE begins its DEADLY WORK of arousing SEXUAL PASSIONS . . . with no restraint as to COLOR or RACE!"

Federal Bureau of Narcotics Chief Harry J. Anslinger
    1948 "MARIHUANA leads to PACIFISM and COMMUNIST BRAINWASHING!"

Newsweek
    August 14, 1937 "A California man DECAPITATED HIS BEST FRIEND while under the violent spell of the smoke!"

The Keynote
    Jan/Feb 1941 "Some of the so-called ‘jazz hounds’ who think that their talents show off best when ‘high’ should take a trip to Eloise Hospital and see the WRECKED HUMAN BEINGS there, GIBBERING IDIOTS . . . Now they CAN’T THINK AT ALL!"

The American Scholar (Phi Beta Kappa)
    Winter 1938/9 "Children of addicts are said to be inferior; in parts some of India, where hashish has long been used to excess, whole communities are IMBECILIC AND MORALLY DEGRADED!"

Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell, On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness
    1939 "Under [MARIHUANA’S] influence, PRISON INMATES FALL DESPERATELY IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER, just as they would with women outside prison walls!"

Harry J. Anslinger
    The American Magazine
    1938 "If the hideous MONSTER FRANKENSTEIN came face to face with the MONSTER MARIHUANA, he would DROP DEAD OF FRIGHT!"

Harry J. Anslinger
    1929 "REEFER makes DARKIES think they’re as good as white men."

The Christian Century
    June 29, 1938 "In some districts inhabited by Latin Americans, Filipinos, Spaniards and Negroes, HALF THE CRIMES are attributed to the marijuana craze!"

Scientific American
    May 1938 "Marijuana is ‘a more dangerous drug than heroin or cocaine . . . ’ The drug is adhering to its old word traditions of MURDER, ASSAULT, RAPE, PHYSICAL DEMORALIZATION, and MENTAL BREAKDOWN!"

Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell, On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness
    1939 "MARIHUANA is sometimes used as a means to WHITE SLAVERY . . . the sheriff raided the disreputable houses of the city and found the missing girls ‘working’ there . . . their stories revealed MARIHUANA as the bait and cause of their downfall!"

Col. Levi G. Nutt, head of the Narcotics Division of the US Treasury Dept, quoted in Hearst newspapers nationwide
    Dec 8 circa 1929 "I’d rather see MY CHILDREN up against a wall and see them SHOT DOWN BEFORE MY EYES than to know that any one of them was going to be A DRUG SLAVE!"

New York Times
    Sep. 16, 1934 "Users of marijuana become STIMULATED as they inhale the drug and are LIKELY TO DO ANYTHING. Most crimes of violence in this section, especially in country districts are laid to users of that drug."

Annie Laurie’s column, Hearst newspapers nationwide
    date unknown "Was it marijuana, the new Mexican drug, that nerved the murderous arm of Clara Phillips when she hammered out her victim’s life in Los Angeles? . . . THREE-FOURTHS OF THE CRIMES of violence in this country today are committed by DOPE SLAVES - that is a matter of cold record."

And more recently:
    Ronald Reagan
    1974 "Permanent brain damage is one of the inevitable results of the use of marijuana."

White House Drug Czar Carlton Turner
    1986 "Marijuana leads to homosexuality . . . and therefore to AIDS."

Presidential Candidate Bill Clinton
    1992 "Marijuana is ten times more dangerous than twenty years ago."

Presidential Candidate Bill Clinton
    1992 "I didn’t inhale."
    Reminds me of the drug convention part in fear and loathing in las vegas.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Marihuana the Weed of Madness

Heheheheeee! the name alone is classic.
    thing is ...not much has realy changes has it.

White House Drug Czar Carlton Turner
    1986 "Marijuana leads to homosexuality . . . and therefore to AIDS."

I think this is the most interesting of the quotes and hilarious. They use to think that marijuana use leads to homosexuality and AIDS.....
    if that was true, there'd be a lot more homos scurrying about the streets...

...anyway, I loved the Frankenstien dying of fright quote; this was always one of my favourites because it just sounds so sarcastic, although at the time they were hardly effing around...
    if that was true, there'd be a lot more homos scurrying about the streets...

...anyway, I loved the Frankenstien dying of fright quote; this was always one of my favourites because it just sounds so sarcastic, although at the time they were hardly effing around...
    Very true that is a very good quote.... i also found it interesting that the majority of the quotes of people dont even know how to spell what they are trying to talk against.