Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ingrowing Hairs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right Im not to up on what to do about ingrowing hairs and wondered if any of you guys could explain to me what to do about them.

Ive only got a couple but they are bugging me.

Please someone put me out of my misery and tell me what to do!

Cheers!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scratch the skin and make it pop out so it grows in free air or so you can remove it.
    Bathing it in hot water might help to raise it a bit so you can grab it.
    ^^ Yes. I get them alot when I wax stuff. Just take a hot bath then get the tweezers out ;)
    i find the best thing.. well my gf does on mine is using a pin and pulling the dead skin around it and pulls the hair out,
    A pair of slanted tweezers... just dig in route around and out it'll come...

Ilora x
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    A pair of slanted tweezers... just dig in route around and out it'll come...

Ilora x

Yes tweezers are definitely the best tool to use, but just be careful as if you start digging around then you may be prone to scarring or infection. The advice about using warm water first is also good, and you may find it helps to dab a little tea tree oil afterwards if the area is red or inflamed.
    Sorry to hijack. What causes ingrown hairs? I only get them when I wax the down below area, but I always get them, 2 or 3 each time. Can they be prevented.
    Exfoliating is supposed to help prevent them.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    my_name wrote:
    Sorry to hijack. What causes ingrown hairs? I only get them when I wax the down below area, but I always get them, 2 or 3 each time. Can they be prevented.

Ingrown hairs are caused when short curly hairs grow back on themselves, it's the fact that they are not straight which causes them to ingrow. I'm surprised that you get them after waxing as people most commonly get them when they shave due to a remnant of hair being left behind.

Have you tried using hair removing cream instead? And yes, exfoliating is supposed to help prevent the problem.
    my_name wrote:
    i was advised after my brazillian to exfoliate every other day in the shower (i use a tea tree oil sensitive exfoliating cream) and to use either a tea tree oil moisturiser daily or dab on some tea tree oil solution if i get one.
    my_name wrote:

Ah so you wax then :thumb:
    Ingrowing hairs can be a reaction to the folicle being damanged, overtight clothing, dry skin that can block the folicle.

There are different types too:

A flat thread growing along beneath the surface of the skin can be removed by finding the tip and then piercing with a sterile needle. Free the tip and leave it in place so the folicle can heal around it.

A coiled ingrowing hair looks like a black spot or dome on the skin. You need to gently squeeze it and roll between the fingertips using a tissue. It will release the coiled ingrowing hair and hardened sebum. If the hair doesn't fall out you should leave it in place.

An infected ingrowth is usually red and then an infected white dome shaped pustule develops. Release the trapped tissue and cover the affected area which may bleed or leak tissue fluid with a sterile non allergenic dressing.
    If you wrote that yourself then I'm impressed :D
    Don't be. I'm studying beauty therapy and got it from my textbook :blush:
    Rachael wrote:
    Don't be. I'm studying beauty therapy and got it from my textbook :blush:

I KNEW IT! :p Good info though!
    lipsy wrote:
    i was advised after my brazillian to exfoliate every other day in the shower (i use a tea tree oil sensitive exfoliating cream) and to use either a tea tree oil moisturiser daily or dab on some tea tree oil solution if i get one.

Is this tea tree oil an ingredient in certian products, or a product itself? I've never heard of it.
    I KNEW IT! :p Good info though!

Cheerz :p
    my_name wrote:
    Is this tea tree oil an ingredient in certian products, or a product itself? I've never heard of it.
    well we have a range of tea tree oil products which are used to stop spots.
    i'm sure there are other products that contain the oil though.
    So just read the ingrediants and look for that?

If its used to treat spots, I usually (tmi coming up) wash with http://www.cleanandclear.com/products/facial_clean/cont_control_wash.shtml and http://www.cleanandclear.com/products/astringents_toners/deep_clean_sensitive.shtml then moisturize afterwards, wouldn't that work the same?

Sorry for the dumb questions :p
    my_name wrote:
    So just read the ingrediants and look for that?

If its used to treat spots, I usually (tmi coming up) wash with http://www.cleanandclear.com/products/facial_clean/cont_control_wash.shtml and http://www.cleanandclear.com/products/astringents_toners/deep_clean_sensitive.shtml afterwards, wouldn't that work the same?

Sorry for the dumb questions :p
    i don't know, i was told to use tea tree oil. tea tree oil is a natural anitbacterial agent from australia. if a product has it in it, then it will probably be the main selling point.

i would think that if you just wanted to use clean and clear to exfoliate then it would be fine.
    lipsy wrote:
    i don't know, i was told to use tea tree oil. tea tree oil is a natural anitbacterial agent from australia. if a product has it in it, then it will probably be the main selling point.

Oh I see, I"ll keep a look out for it, thanks.
    **Helen** wrote:
    Ingrown hairs are caused when short curly hairs grow back on themselves, it's the fact that they are not straight which causes them to ingrow. I'm surprised that you get them after waxing as people most commonly get them when they shave due to a remnant of hair being left behind.

I'm sure I got told just over a year ago (when I had an ingrowing hair which later became infected) that doctors diodn't know what caused it and it was nothing I did/didn't do...
    There's a product on the market called tend skin which is designed for helping prevent ingrown hairs. I used to use it and it worked with me. Ran out and forgot to get more. Think you can still get it from http://www.hqhair.com/