Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

War in Iran

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to a US poll (CNN or MSNBC, cant find it now...) 60% of Americans favour war with Iran to stop it acquiring nuclear weapons. What do you think?

Personally, I reckon the only thing more hazardous then letting Iran gain nuclear weapons would be to try and stop them by force. The manpower is not there for a US invasion, the UK cant even contemplate helping (as they've quietly made clear) and Iran is far tougher than Iraq, with much better terrorist connections.

However, Iran getting nukes will probably cause Iraq to implode. I can see al-Sadr making deals with the Iranians and declaring a breakaway republic in south Iraq, under the Iranian nuclear umbrella. Israel will also have a fit and already have plans to carry out bombing raids like they did against Iraq in the 80s. However, the Iranians probably have several facilities hidden in the desert, if not an outright parallel military nuclear program.

So whats to be done? Iran getting nukes may stabalize relations with Israel (bi-polarity in the region, threat of nuclear use lessening threat of regular conflict) but will certainly up the problems in Iraq and possibly bordering countries. I still feel that there has been too much of the stick and not enough carrot in our diplomatic efforts, but what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    As Iran is going to switch from the dollar any day now for selling oil, the yanks have no choice but to at least decapitate the leadership and replace it with something more "US" freindly (again).

Otherwise, that bankruptcy from the 30's will finally hit home and annihilate their economy.

So any reports of nuclear weapons etc are more than likely half truths made up by both Iran (in the hope of being a big enough threat to stay safe) or the US (to demonise Iran so they can use force to remain solvent, Again).
  • Options
    The Petro-Euro oil bourse has been scheduled for unveiling in Tehran in March of this year, Klint.

We shall see what we shall see when it finally is put into operation.
  • Options
    Oh fuck.

Best go buy some more gold. Haven't heard any plans to ban it's ownership on this side of the pond yet, although there are plans for Dept of HS people to raid deposit boxes US side come the crash.

Oh and while I am out I'd better get a wheelbarrow to take my thousands of paper notes to buy a loaf with. ;)
  • Options
    America will become mincemeat if they pick a war with Iran. I don't want to see them get nuclear capability, but what is our right to police the world?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As Iran is going to switch from the dollar any day now for selling oil, the yanks have no choice but to at least decapitate the leadership and replace it with something more "US" freindly (again).

Otherwise, that bankruptcy from the 30's will finally hit home and annihilate their economy.

So any reports of nuclear weapons etc are more than likely half truths made up by both Iran (in the hope of being a big enough threat to stay safe) or the US (to demonise Iran so they can use force to remain solvent, Again).
    and this crash will be nightmarish!
    gone are the days of the waltons ...the days of neighbourlyness ...gone are the family farms ...gone is the american manufacturing base.
    the thirties won't be at all comparable.
    how long does it take for a modern city to run out of food?
    every man for himself ...violence death and destruction.
    not heard about the gold snatching plan?
  • Options
    not heard about the gold snatching plan?

Last time round the US govt. Sealed all deposit boxes and would only let stuff like title deeds and heirlooms out of the banks. They would also only let depositers take out a maximum of 30% of their cash once the banks re-opened.

Have a link about the gold market -

http://www.austincoins.com/Austin_Report.htm

Have a link about when the US government plans to stop reporting about it's financial affairs and I mean completely :shocking:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

Um, when was Iran planning on dropping the dollar again? March wasn't it......

And a quote from last time -

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S."
    - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

The patriot act gave similar powers to the DHS
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Actually, I've spoken with a couple of economists on that issue. They seem to think that the US will make up for dollar devaluation in exports and the overall outcome will be neglible, unless there is a panic in markets (as can happen now and then). I'm no economist, I'll admit, but the guys I spoke to are generally politically neutral and teach it at University level for a living, so I'll trust their judgement unless there is evidence otherwise?

Also, Iran has been saying it doesnt want nuclear weapons, just energy. But they are very insistent about keeping the uranium enrichement inside their territory, even before the Russians showed themselves willing to cut off power for political points. That and they see themselves as Allah's representatives on Earth, surrounded by enemies and with Israel and its nuclear weapons snickering in the distance. In that situation, I personally would be going all out to get nuclear weapons, as a safety garuntee. It has to be admitted that a country swimming on top of oil would be so insistent on nuclear power is odd.
  • Options
    The only thing that gives the dollar it's world currency status is that it's the only currency you can buy oil in from the middle east. Once that goes, everyone who buys oil (i.e. absolutely everyone) will ditch the dollar and go for the euro instead.
  • Options
    Wasn't it on the news last night that OPEC have rejected an oil deal offer made by Iran? Something to do with Currecny changes from the Dollar to the Euro, but i missed half the report, so im not too sure.

America could probably take Iran in much the same way it took Iraq with serveral key differences;
    Increased Air bombing campaign
    Strategy revolving around Iranians all been opposed (I.E. a shoot on site, "take no prisoners" strategy.)

Basically, they are going to have to adopt a Nazi Blitzkreig strategy and be willing build camps with gas chambers! If they wanted to be successful...Won't happen...Or will it?

As for developing nuclear weapons, Iran just will not, Israel will bomb any reactors or development facilities out of existence.

Though if they did develop nuclear weapons, the bi-polarity of the region would be interesting...either a mini-Cold War or the beginning of World War 3.

Maybe...
  • Options
    Of course Israel attacking another sovereign state will go without a shred of condemnation, because it's Israel after all (the always justified perpetual "victims" no matter how many they attack, dispossess or slaughter decade after decade).

Ah the double standards indeed.
  • Options
    The problem with bombing their supposed nuclear facilities is that they're apparently built under mountains. A land invasion would be necessary from my understanding, and that's something i would imagine would only take place after mass bombing (with Iraq looking like a picnic in comparison).

Unfortunately, that's the only course of action i can see being taken - there appears to be no other choice.

Also...war on iran will have little political opposition in the US if the dollar collapses.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Unfortunately, there appears to be no other choice.

any bets being taken on a strange and new epidemic sweeping through iran soon?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Shows just how ignorant and uniformed hte American Citizens are... brainwashed masses... and we are heading the same way here.
  • Options
    Helps to have a national media in the hands of two major arms contractors (GE and Westinghouse) and either Disney or Murdoch as the only dominant rivals all saying exactly the same thing overall.

Sanitised drivel devoid of any real historic contextualisation whatever the report may be.

And, don't forget, a diversionary word from our sponsor every 5 minutes so you hardly have time to ask for more detailed information before the kids are screaming for that new x-box game or sugar cereal.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The only thing that gives the dollar it's world currency status is that it's the only currency you can buy oil in from the middle east. Once that goes, everyone who buys oil (i.e. absolutely everyone) will ditch the dollar and go for the euro instead.

Saddam was going to try that and look what they did to him :crying:

Even if Iran got rid of all their nuclear sites they would just come up with another excuse :chin:
  • Options
    He didnt try, dave. He did switch to the Euro in late 2000 and THAT was the actual reason Washington was determined to invade regardless of international law, UNSC disapproval or world protest.
  • Options
    America will become mincemeat if they pick a war with Iran.
    ... is our right to police the world?
    I wouldn't give a nuke to Pat Robertson, and I wouldn't give one to Cheney (although the voters of America seem to be cool with it), I wouldn't give it to any other religious nut, and that fucking includes Iran. Our right to police the world you ask? And your alternative is....?
  • Options
    I wouldn't give a nuke to Pat Robertson, and I wouldn't give one to Cheney (although the voters of America seem to be cool with it), I wouldn't give it to any other religious nut, and that fucking includes Iran. Our right to police the world you ask? And your alternative is....?

As far as I see it, if we let Kim Jong Il have nukes, what reason do we have to oppose Iran? We just show our Hipocracy again.

And it's not like anyone will ever use a nuke ffs.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    As far as I see it, if we let Kim Jong Il have nukes, what reason do we have to oppose Iran? We just show our Hipocracy again.
    Weren't we having talks to keep/get him to get rid of, his nukes? And since when do two wrongs make a right?
    Frankly I wouldn't want to give anyone the option. Course it's a little late for that.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Why wouldn't anyone ever use a nuke?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    i disagree.
    tactiacal battle field nukes are being developed to make it easier to use them.
    i believe a couple of old fashioned kinda nukes ...hiroshima mark 2 types ...WILL be used in the not to distant future. in the middle east.
    americas only chance of staying anywhere near the top of the ladder now is ...war.
  • Options
    Weren't we having talks to keep/get him to get rid of, his nukes? And since when do two wrongs make a right?

You think Kim would disarm? WE should disarm him first, THEN Iran... He ACTUALLY has them, it will take Iran years. Kim is the madder one anyhow.
    Frankly I wouldn't want to give anyone the option. Course it's a little late for that.

I would agree, all nukes should just de destroyed imho. NO ONE is trustworthy with them... Nuclear weapons are the worst weapon invented. Terrible things. Hiroshima is nothing to a modern nuke. Think the Radiation of Chernobyl... with the kindof explosion that could have happened were it not for the self sacrifice that disaster saw...

Tactical Nukes, are just as bad. The are around them, radiated, poising of soldiers.... hasn't the past wars taught us? Such weapons are bad for the men... our men too... gulf war syndrome, people from Vietnam having all sorts of conditions bought on by chemical warfare.

Stick to guns and explosives. Or even better, stop fighting pointless wars altogether.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

hasn't the past wars taught us? .
    no.
  • Options
    no.

It is becoming painfully obvious, that. :(