Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fillings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK...This is going to sound really random, but anyway. At the minute I've got a filling for a small cavity I had last year. I left it for ages til I saw the dentist again, and now he's told me I have to get another one. :banghead:
I absolutely DETEST having the one in my mouth, it feels nasty, I hate everything about it and the fact I have to get another one put in makes we want to puke. I hate the injection, watching all the tools he uses...etc.

I'd much rather he take the tooth out (it's a molar, as is the one with the filling already in it.)

Would I be a fool to suggest he take the tooth out and be done with it, rather than get another filling?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if you didn't mind not having the tooth then I don't see why not ;)

BTW, does it hurt 'cos there's something wrong with it, or will the next one be exactly the same?
    I doubt they would take it out unless there was something seriously wrong with it. I have to get a filling re done and I hate getting them done but just going to do it and get it over with.
    It doesn't hurt, (either of my teeth) to tell you the truth it's probably more of a pride thing because I went through 3 years of brace torture and now I'm ruining it by having nasty looking fillings in my mouth. I'm a weirdo, much rather be missing the tooth (it's way at the back+top of my mouth so noone would see) than have another filling put in. My mum has like 6 and theyre so God-awful looking. :yuck:
    But surely if you can't see it, then the appearance doesn't make a difference anyway, so you might as well have the filling?
    Yea but I've heard of horror stories from friends about their fillings. In fact once I was out with my boyfriend at some Halloween fair or something his came out with a wad of toffee he was eating. Pretty gross. I take it no one would recommend it then? It is just a silly suggestion?
    But surely if you can't see it, then the appearance doesn't make a difference anyway, so you might as well have the filling?

My thoughts exactly.
    If you can feel the filling, I'm going to suggest there was something wrong with the way he did it. I have one from a root canal, don't even know its there. A filling is better than a rotting tooth which will either get so infected it needs that or just to be pulled, eh? ;)
    it's better to keep as many of your own teeth as you can. I have really shit teeth and most of my molars are filled (let that be a healthy eating lesson to you, peeps) but at least they are still all mine and still all there.

having said that, i have to go to the dentist in half an hour, and have all my fillings removed and re-done cause the last dentist did a shoddy job and there are cavities underneath :(

the only thing worse than needing 10 fillings done is having to pay £110 for the priviledge :( :mad:
    kaffrin wrote:
    the only thing worse than needing 10 fillings done is having to pay £110 for the priviledge :( :mad:

*has heart attack* I wish I could get 10 fillings for that :p W/o insurance its about 120-150 for one. Gotta love the UK health stuff.
    NOOOOOOOO do not have it taken out- it will cause all sorts f problems if you do. they have to put a bridge in to stop all your other teeth from shifting around, which then causes the top and bottom teeth not to fit correctly- the bite. If you don't like the injection- don't have one! You don't have to you know? I've had a root canal done twice without anasthetic- hurts like a beeootch but at least you don't dribble for hours after!
    my_name wrote:
    *has heart attack* I wish I could get 10 fillings for that :p W/o insurance its about 120-150 for one. Gotta love the UK health stuff.
    I had one done recently, it cost me about £80 I think (and that was with discount).
    katralla wrote:
    If you don't like the injection- don't have one! You don't have to you know? I've had a root canal done twice without anasthetic- hurts like a beeootch but at least you don't dribble for hours after!

That's insane, please tell me the point of that! You don't like having an injection yet you don't mind lots of pain having a root canal! :shocking:

Yeh if you have it taken out there are going to be consequences, your teeth will start to move around and other problems will arise that will have to be sorted out. If you have the option to keep your teeth, then take it! You do need them you know!
    kaffrin wrote:

Thats quite cheap for 10 can i have your dentist please!
    Hummmn, did it without the anaesthetic because they wanted to kill the nerves comletely- the can tell this when you stop screaming! Although, I did have to have it redone about a week later as one of the pesky nerves still had some root left and was causing me agony! At least I feel hard now, having got through it an that.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I hate needles, so I don't get anaesthetic for fillings. I'd only get it for bigger things.
    katralla wrote:
    Hummmn, did it without the anaesthetic because they wanted to kill the nerves comletely- the can tell this when you stop screaming! Although, I did have to have it redone about a week later as one of the pesky nerves still had some root left and was causing me agony! At least I feel hard now, having got through it an that.

Sounds very Old Skool way of doing it to me! I'm sure my dentist wouldn't let his patients endure unneccersary pain these days, especially how sensitive nerves are! Makes me :shocking: just thinking about it.
    Thats horrible. That actually discusts me a dentist would do that. You don't kill the nerves by drilling, they remove the infected pulp, douse it in antiseptic and fill your tooth with gutta percha or something, followed by the filling.

If I had that happen and then they tried to pull off that excuse, that would be a very quick lawsuit.
    beans wrote:
    Thats quite cheap for 10 can i have your dentist please!

yeah, not bad, is it? they're all the silver ones, but you can't really see them, and the white ones are £30 each :(

my old (alledgedly NHS) dentist charged me £70 for a check-up, and one silver fillings, and everyone was like 'my god, daylight robbery!'

i didn't know any better, so i googled, found this page and decided they were quite right.
    I hate getting the injections so my dentists uses a freezing gel on my gum first to numb it then gives me the injection but does it in a way so I can't see it being done.
    Silver ones are better- they are stronger and last longer. I'd rather have it done once (or about 15 times in my case) than have to go back for refilling because they crumbed away. I guess it depends on how wide you open your gob as to whether you mind.