Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PTSD...again??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A couple of years ago i was diagnosed as having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I thought i got better but then it turned into depression. I decided against taking the medication for it and told myself i would get better. And i thought i was alot better...
But i had a car crash, and some other weird emotional stuff happened which i thought i was ok with, but now all my same symptoms and illnesses are coming back which i suffered with before.

Am wondering whether i should go back to the doctor, although all they will do again is give me anti depressants.

Any advice, know u guys are all normally helpful :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If a Doctor offers to prescribe you anti-depressants and it's not a treatment you'd like to explore you can say "no thanks, I don't want to go down the anti-depressant route. Are there any other treatents you can offer?" You don't have to swallow their pills, and they do seem to hand them out as a fix all. I suspect the doctor would make you a referral to some kind of talk based therapy or something. Try the doctors and see.
    I asked the doctor for other methods and he said until i cannot leave my house because im physically or mentally too ill, then the only form of treatment is anti depressants!
    Very helpful doctors i go to! and that was after seeing a 3rd doctor!!!
    Very frustrating!!!
    You could also try calling an independent organisation for a second opinion. Sane have an amazing database of information about treatments:

Saneline - Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems.
    Web: www.sane.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 767 8000