Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

11 year old girl treated for heroin withdrawl

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
been following this for the past few days, surprised no-one has posted it.

BBC News: Girl, 11, being treated for heroin withdrawl

also see the supplementary article;

BBC News: How do you treat an 11 year old addicted to heroin?

imagine, this girl is considered too young to have methadone aided withdrawl treatment (supplementary article explains why) and will have to do this rattle unaided...at 11 years old...poor little thing...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That is crazy that an 11 year old girl could be addicted to heroin... but then again i guess that is where some of our societys are going. Its really sad that someone that young could be addicted to heroine. I wonder whether her mother was a drug addict.....
    That is crazy that an 11 year old girl could be addicted to heroin... but then again i guess that is where some of our societys are going. Its really sad that someone that young could be addicted to heroine. I wonder whether her mother was a drug addict.....

I wouldn't even wonder that, theres like a 900000000000000000000000000000000% chance her parents/guardiens are addicts/users.

Edit: Actual statistical analysis :yes:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    been following this for the past few days, surprised no-one has posted it.

Check out Politics mate. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    All the more reason heroin should be taken out of the hands of nasty dealers and given to GP's and doctors.
    Apparently there are 40-50 Pre-teens (pre high school) heroin users in glasgow alone (where this happened) and that was a few years ago I think that staticstic was from.

I've been following it losely/Kind of following it as it's near where my gf lives and friends of mine, I'm pretty certain her parents are users and she must live in the area where heroin is widely used and avaliable if she thought it was the norm.
    Unfortuntately its not that unusual.
    I guess now maybe the goverment or atleast scotish goverment will do something about pre-teens and drugs instead of ignoring it.
    what can they do?
    Make it illegal?
    Hellfire wrote:
    I guess now maybe the goverment or atleast scotish goverment will do something about pre-teens and drugs instead of ignoring it.

They have been trying to do something, its just a shame they have been trying it for years and it continues to fail.
    perhaps the fact theres sod all to do for kids to do these days? getting moaned at for hanging out or their parents not letting them outside cause of overprotectiveness
    Blagsta
    Unfortuntately its not that unusual.
    i was afraid someone of your experience would say as much...
    Hellfire wrote:

It's about time the government properly addressed poverty which is the root cause. These stories of pre-teens banging smack at playtime all have a common denominator - poor social background.
    I totally agree, Alot of the drugs problems and pre teens on drugs come out of poor homes, but alot of the poor homes are caused by parents using smack themselves, if the parents got of it there kids would have a less chance to get into it.
    Hellfire wrote:
    I totally agree, Alot of the drugs problems and pre teens on drugs come out of poor homes, but alot of the poor homes are caused by parents using smack themselves, if the parents got of it there kids would have a less chance to get into it.

True...it's a cycle. Seems to pass from generation to generation as well (not necessarily from parents to their children) as most of the people i know with drug problems have alcoholic/smackhead uncles etc.

Handing it out free on script to smackheads would help children of addicts. Decriminalise the 'scene' and much of the trouble goes. Can't see that happening in the near future though.
    I dont agree with that at all. In fact rich people are doing drugs (I have found), just as much as poor people. I went to a private school and basically everyone had a lot more spare cash, so spent it on drugs.

I mean in a small town of maybe 3000/4000 people, the only ones rich enough to do cocaine and the like were the ones from the private schools.
    yes.. then they get hooked, keep blowing all there cash and there fucked,

Look at pete doherty in about 5 years he'll be flat broke, living on a council estate spending all his money on Smack.
    talia wrote:
    I dont agree with that at all. In fact rich people are doing drugs (I have found), just as much as poor people. I went to a private school and basically everyone had a lot more spare cash, so spent it on drugs.

I mean in a small town of maybe 3000/4000 people, the only ones rich enough to do cocaine and the like were the ones from the private schools.
    the rich consume MOST of the illegals in the western world.
    thats not the point though.
    i doubt there 11 year olds are up to their eyeballs in it.
    plus ...the rich can afford time out ...treatment etc.
    Hellfire wrote:
    yes.. then they get hooked, keep blowing all there cash and there fucked,

Look at pete doherty in about 5 years he'll be flat broke, living on a council estate spending all his money on Smack.
    not if he's talented and hard working.
    look at many a 60's rocker ...still going strong ...still jacking it up.
    Is it possible to be hard working on stuff like heroine? I mean eventually doesnt the drug take control of your life. In the end most people die of it or get off it.
    I wouldn't even wonder that, theres like a 900000000000000000000000000000000% chance her parents/guardiens are addicts/users.

Edit: Actual statistical analysis :yes:

Yeah thats exactly what i figured. It was extremely likely that her mother/parents/guardians are also addicts or users.
    Might not be her parents but perhaps siblings
    talia wrote:

Doing drugs doesn't equate to being a heroin addict with your own children being hooked on smack at a ridiculous age.

All these stories i've heard involve deprived backgrounds. So, that's where the root cause evidently lies. "Tackling drugs" bullshit as some people suggest shouldn't even be mentioned.
    talia wrote:
    heroine? .

heroin!
    believe it or not yes it is possible.
    do you know the reporter 'will self' ?
    KIETH RICHARDS OF THE STONES?
    MANY A SURGEON AND BANK MANAGER.
    WHEN IT WAS HUGELY POPular around the first world war and through the nineteen twenties many proffesionals were openly addicted.
    cleaner stuff of course.
    Ok sorry that was a genuine question was not rhetorical.
    talia wrote:
    Ok sorry that was a genuine question was not rhetorical.
    when you think that poor addicts can be having to find five hundred quid a day ...robbing selling their arse or their soul ...everyday ...they aren't exactly sleeping all day are they.
    the main problem is the law.
    it creates filthy heroin ...disease ...corruption ...crime and so on.
    it's almost as if the drugs laws are designed for two things ...raisnfg the level of crime and raising billions of pounds in untaxed redies.
    it doesn't achieve anything good.
    recreational drug use has a long and well recorded history ...come the twentieth century and we try a big experiment by making these things illegal ...it failed.
    it's still failing.
    heroin!
    WHEN IT WAS HUGELY POPular around the first world war and through the nineteen twenties many proffesionals were openly addicted.
    cleaner stuff of course.

Yeah in the early 20th century heroine was something that was a huge problem and a lot of people were addicted to it. This came about especially with the invention of the hypodermic needle. Also, opium was quite big back then especially over in asia.
    Yeah in the early 20th century heroine was something that was a huge problem and a lot of people were addicted to it. This came about especially with the invention of the hypodermic needle. Also, opium was quite big back then especially over in asia.

Not really, opium was somewhat of a problem, but heroin did not become the large social problem it is today until the Misuse of Drugs Act was brought in.
    It's spelled heroin. A heroine is a female hero. :banghead:
    Weekender Offender 
    See you got an av there bong, what'd you use to make it?

I've never even seen it, I have them turned off.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I've never even seen it, I have them turned off.

It's a bloody good AV. I assume Jim is responsible.
    Weekender Offender