Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

finding phone numbers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasnt sure if this should be in Comp net and tech but... Say you have a missed call from a landline, is there any way of finding out who it's from? I know how to find out what part of the country the caller was calling from but is there anywhere you can type in the number to see who it actually was - if they're in the phone book? ive looked on bt.com but cant find it. they only seem to have something where you can type in a name and find a number, not the other way around. obviously i know i could ring the number back and see but if i didnt want to do that is there any way i can find out?

Comments

• Options
    1471 is the number to dial for the last call to your landline phone, but it only stores that one number. Also, if the number is ex-directory or private, it will just say 'you were called today at 7.34. the caller withheld their number' only with more pauses than that.
  • Options
    the thing is, i know the actual number.. i just dont know who it belongs to... and i dont really want to phone it back and see, so i was wondering if there was any way you could find out?
  • Options
    Google it?
  • Options
    Ring it back and find out. I think that's the only way.
  • Options
    No, for data protection reasons you cannot find someone just from their telephone number.
  • Options
    ok thankyou :) i guess i'll have to ring it back then..
  • Options
    Why don't you want to ring it back?

It may've just been a wrong number...
  • Options
    theres no real reason for not wanting to call it back, just the fact that i dont know who it is and i feel a bit funny about ringing a number when i have no idea who they are.. its a manchester number and ive had a couple of missed calls in the past from it so im not sure.. i dont think i know anyone there. but maybe i'll give it a ring tomorrow and see who answers. its either that or never knowing!
  • Options
    If they've got the right number and still want to speak to you, they will call back, just wait until then :)
  • Options
    or do 141, wait to see who answers and hang up if you change your mind