Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Opening New Account

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I know very little about banks as I have only ever needed to open one bank account and that was nearly 5 years ago.

Anyways, I have been with Bank of Ireland for nearly 5 years. I don't have any majoy problems with them, only that they refuse to give me a debit card because I am in debt with T-Mobile. Told me I have to clear that first and wait another 6months or so before I can apply for one with them. Though I was told to just open an account with another bank.

If I do, which one do you suggest?
And do you know if they check your credit history first?

Comments

• Options
    I *think* they only check your credit rating when you are applying for a credit card or overdraft. So if you only want a debit card i suggest you open an account at another bank. I dont see why if you want a simple debit ccount with no overdraft why you have to clear your T-mobile debt first? *shrugs* :yeees:
  • Options
    I had a friend denied for a bank account because she was in debt to another bank. When I checked my credit rating it showed that my bank did check it when I signed up, but it has virtually no meaning to it.

ALso, with T-mobile, they may not even be on your credit rating. I never pay that bill on time but I know that they do not report to the credit thing, for me at least.
  • Options
    Well when I pay me T-Mobile bill. It's through the Post Office. Dont have it as a direct edbit thru my account. Only one I have at the moment, is my course and I've never had a late payment on that. Just I also had a cheques that bounced as well, would that go against me?
  • Options
    Possibly, but unlikely. As long as your not currently in debt with another banking estalishment, I'd say its highly unlikey you'd get rejected for a bank account. I've had bounced checks, bad tmobile stuff and all the rest in the past and never had a problem getting a new bank account, in my epxerience at least.
  • Options
    There are three different agencies in the uk that hold your 'credit record'. You can apply for the details they hold about you and I think they have to offer a cheapo version at £2 a hard-copy. If a bank does a credit check on you, they will probably only use one or two of these agencies and are likely to tell you which if you ask them. Every time your credit gets checked by trying to open an account etc, including being rejected for one, they note this in the records and it looks bad if you apply for a lot in a short period of time. The best thing to do if you actually are worried about your credit is to get copies from the agencies and see if there is anything bad on there...
  • Options
    Oh, and I would consider them not giving you a debit card a poor deal! especially seeing as if that's your only debt- they're being v.tight. As soon as you get another account, withdraw and close the one with them and tell them why too- consumer rules and it's your 'money' they have!