Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

odd question about HIV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
could 2 people with HIV have sex safely

just popped into my head

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well theyre not gonna catch HIV twice, so in that sense they may as well, and I believe a lot of HIV+ people do choose other HIV+ partners, but obviously not all.
    If there were other STDs though, then the HIV+ people would be more at risk from it than anyone else because of their compromised immunity, so I would say that safe sex would still be ideal/
    Could it depend on if they have different strains of the virus?
    my_name wrote:

There are various strains of the virus that have differing levels of virulence (how well they damage the host). I'm pretty sure that having more than one strain can't help, but I don't think it would make that much difference (as the difference in virulence is not really that much).
    One of them could have [another] STI too...
    Yeah, should have thought of that really (d'oh!).
    my_name wrote:

:yes: Cos different strains have the potential to be more or less aggressive...when you find out you're HIV+ they determine your levels of immunity before determining what level of anti-virulent drugs you need to start. Some people have a less aggressive strain that may need very little intial treatment...so if they then have unprotected sex with someone with a different strain...or an STI which will only further compromise your immunity