Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Qualifications at home?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Qualifications at home? For one reason or another i dont think i will be going to uni like i had planned after this gap year that i am currently on.
Am i right in thinking that some companies provide material so that you can study for qualifications at home? If so.. are these worth doing e.g. do workplaces recognise them? Also, can you do degrees?
If anyone does know anything about this i would be really grateful.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well, there's open university for a start... Open University is recognised, established, bloody hard work I'd say- you'd have to be very self-disciplined! There are quite a few things you can do that don't mean committing yourself to three years of torture and £15 debt (uni). Some short courses are really valuable for going straight into work, if that's what you want. Have you thought about a book-keeping course? I know peeps do these and then work on a self-employed basis doing the books for companies or other self-employed people. Anyway, there's stuff out there. Google is your friend...
    Or, take a calculated risk. Identify a niche market, create a business plan, forecast and start-up budget -- from this you can .... blah blah blah
    I have decent computer quallifications but I am studying from home in order to increase my employability. I am taking a Server+ cert (basically to prove I can use different server setups, do SCUZZY and RAID ect) its pretty good actually but I'd research what these qualifications are actually worth in the real world before jumping onto a course.

And course fees are bad. OU is without a doubt the best for home study, but is frickin expensive. I shell out £65 a month for mine.