Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lack of blood (+dairy products)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My arms have been feeling a little weak lately, and I feel as if it's because of a lack of blood. I feel a little powerless and as if I am about to get pins and needles in my arm (what is that called? :P ).

I was talking to my friend about it when it suddenly hit me that it might possibly be linked to me consuming an outrageous amount of dairy products. I've read about too much dairy consumption being linked to iron anemia and the more I think about it, the more I think I should cut back on the dairy.

But, here's the catch. I've tried before but always end in the same pattern. Most of the 'easy' foods I buy is dairy, and I have a strong tendecy to go for those 'easy' foods. Another thing is that I've weaned myself off most bread, and am having a bit of a hard time replacing that. Some of the ingredients in most common types of bread irritate me to the point of me wanting to throw up. And because of my lack of imagination, that doesn't leave me with a whole lot of things to eat.

Do you think the dairy could be the culprit for this lack of blood? Any suggestions as of what I could replace dairy with? And from what foods do I get iron? Should I possibly rather take some supplements that contain iron?

All help would be muchly appreciated. This on top of my back problems is making me realise how much I am neglecting my own body and health, and that has got to stop.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, the body maintains homestatic mechanisms - you don't have a lack of blood unless you are profusely haemorrhaging.

Pins and needles are caused by nerves being stimulated some how, possible by pinching or awkward position.

I don't know about the dairy intake, best bet is to go to your doc.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It sounds like what you're actually talking about isn't a lack of blood, but rather a lack of red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body.

I've never heard/read anything about too much dairy causing anaemia - it is often related to what is missing from your diet rather than what you already eat.

If you think you might be anaemic it would be a good idea to go and see your doctor. Have a look at this information about it on the bupa website and note the foods which contain high iron - including (among other things) red meats, leafy vegetables such as spinach... and even cornflakes.

Also have a look at the section on iron supplements - it's important to be aware that they can have side effects.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care ;)
  • Options
    What I read about the dairy link isn't a direct cause, it's the side effects that can create the iron deficiency. I've read that a few times, although in most cases it's connected with children.

I'm starting to think my best course of action would be to go and talk to my doctor. I'm also going to re-think my diet.

Thanks for the replies. :)