Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Restore my faith....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last august I moved in to a house, sharing with 2 blokes who are from India but work around here. When I first moved in, things were ok but after a month or two I became pretty unhappy.

Firstly, the place fucking stinks of curry and spices, 24/7. I have cable and tv in my room so I spend all my time in here but the smell gets in to my room and I'm afraid my clothes will end up stinking of it like theirs do.

I bought a George Foreman grill and kept it in the kitchen. I did some steaks in it and the Indian guys watched with interest, they'd never seen one in action before. A few weeks later I moved the grill and noticed the cooking surface was caked with burned on meat. They'd obviously been repeatedly using it and not bothered to clean it once. The grill is now ruined and I threw it away.

If I leave milk or cereals in the kitchen, they get used. When I moved in, I brought a fridge with me and kept it next to theirs in the kitchen. I now have some of their food in there. Nobody asked if they could store things in there.

They are up every morning at 7am prompt. One always knocks the other up (they take it in turns) by banging on the door and shouting which always wakes me up too.

I've often gone to have a bath or shower only to find my towel in the bathroom is wet - yep, it's been used.

I spoke to a mate who used to go out with an Indian girl and he told me in their culture they are usually very 'community' based - if something is brought in to the house it is pressumed it's for the house and not the individual - can anyone confirm if this is true?

I'm not able to move right now - I'm not going in to the reasons but I'm stuck here for at least another 2 months. I can't go on offence against them as they could easily throw me out (I don't have a tennancy agreement but in any case, this is not the issue at hand). If I ask them to just leave my things alone, I risk offending them if it's in their culture.

Advice please - I'm sure not all Indians are like this but I have to say, these guys are pissing me off more and more as each day passes. They always seem to be fairly chatting and pleasant but their actions make me so mad.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just sounds like two normal blokes to me.
    nah my flatmates the complete opposite, he still leaves an utter tip but he just naturally has to ask to use anything and makes up for it

naturally if you need to borrow anything he's a utter bastard about it, so i don't ask :p
    turlough wrote:
    Just sounds like two normal blokes to me.

I consider myself to be fairly normal and I would never treat someone else's property like that.
    I consider myself to be fairly normal and I would never treat someone else's property like that.

Maybe you're being a bit too over-protective of your stuff like. I mean, we should always share what we have. Just tell them if they want to use your stuff ask for permission and to use it properly. Or just use all their stuff yourself.
    turlough wrote:
    Maybe you're being a bit too over-protective of your stuff like. I mean, we should always share what we have. Just tell them if they want to use your stuff ask for permission and to use it properly. Or just use all their stuff yourself.

I'm not over protective at all - it's common decency to ask if you're going to use someone else's property, especially if you're going to eat their food..

Using their stuff myself is not an option either - 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    \
    I'm not over protective at all - it's common decency to ask if you're going to use someone else's property, especially if you're going to eat their food..

Using their stuff myself is not an option either - 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I know that when I'm at uni and I come home drunk I'll eat other people's food, but I'll tell them the next morning and over them some off mine. You just need to get the two guys into a room and sort it all out together.
    If you don't get on with your housemates why don't you move?
    turlough wrote:
    I know that when I'm at uni and I come home drunk I'll eat other people's food, but I'll tell them the next morning and over them some off mine. You just need to get the two guys into a room and sort it all out together.

As I've asked above - what if it's in their culture to do this sort of thing?
    NQA wrote:
    If you don't get on with your housemates why don't you move?

Read the whole post.
    As I've asked above - what if it's in their culture to do this sort of thing?

Not sure about that one, but if it is...just tell them they're not in India anymore and stuff like that isn't practised here.
    Damn hippies.
    turlough wrote:
    Not sure about that one, but if it is...just tell them they're not in India anymore and stuff like that isn't practised here.

In an idea world yes, but it was I who joined them - I don't think they'll change their ways - I just want to know if that is their culture.
    Two questions:

1. Where's the politics?
    2. Where's the debate?

Why is the fact they are Indian of any relevance? It isn't. So why mention it?

Are you trying to imply that white men don't leave things in a state? That white women don't leave things in a state?

It's nothing to do with culture. Have you never lived in student digs?
    Kermit wrote:
    Two questions:

1. Where's the politics?
    2. Where's the debate?

Are you trying to imply that white men don't leave things in a state? That white women don't leave things in a state?

It's nothing to do with culture. Have you never lived in student digs?

I think what he wants to know if there is something in Indian culture that makes people use other people's stuff without asking for permission. It just looks like two normal students to me.
    Kermit wrote:
    Two questions:

I counted 7.
    Kermit wrote:
    1. Where's the politics?

So threads in this section HAVE to be political?
    Kermit wrote:
    2. Where's the debate?

Whether or not this is their culture.
    Kermit wrote:

I don't know of anyone who eats nothing but Indian food. Plus you've obviously not read my post otherwise you'd have notice where a friend of mine who used to go out with an Indian girl (and therefore presumably has experience of their culture) claims it's how they usually do things. I now want opinions of those who have equal or similar experience.
    Kermit wrote:

Again read my post properly.
    Kermit wrote:
    It's nothing to do with culture.

That's not what I've been told.
    Kermit wrote:
    Have you never lived in student digs?

No. Never.
    turlough wrote:
    I think what he wants to know if there is something in Indian culture that makes people use other people's stuff without asking for permission. It just looks like two normal students to me.

Only they're not students.
    id tell them to quit nicking your food, or else keep your food in your room.
    Id also consider keeping your towels in your room until you need them, and if they wake you up in the morning, shout at them to keep the fucking noise down.

I cant see the politics or debate of it either. This should have gone in anything goes, or the racial generalisation forum
    So threads in this section HAVE to be political?

Whether or not this is their culture.

Perhaps you misread the forum title.

It is POLITICS AND DEBATE- not, in case you didn't notice, POLITICS AND DEBATE AND MORONIC DRIVEL.

I lived with a deaf girl who slammed doors and washed up in cold water.

DO ALL DEAF PEOPLE SLAM DOORS AND SULK A LOT? OMFGZ mI m8 s3z d4t dEy dOoO!!!1!!one!1!
    I don't know of anyone who eats nothing but Indian food.

Perish the thought that a man from India would eat Indian food!

What a disgrace! They should be eating burgers like the rest of us!
    Plus you've obviously not read my post otherwise you'd have notice where a friend of mine who used to go out with an Indian girl (and therefore presumably has experience of their culture) claims it's how they usually do things.

Yeah, I did read that.

Had fuck all to do with the price of ghee though.

hence the question, have you never lived in student digs?
    Kermit wrote:
    Perhaps you misread the forum title.

It is POLITICS AND DEBATE- not, in case you didn't notice, POLITICS AND DEBATE AND MORONIC DRIVEL.

Ok, my apologies, I'll be sure to run all my future posts by you before I post them, twunt.
    Kermit wrote:
    I lived with a deaf girl who slammed doors and washed up in cold water.

DO ALL DEAF PEOPLE SLAM DOORS AND SULK A LOT? OMFGZ mI m8 s3z d4t dEy dOoO!!!1!!one!1!

Grow up doofus and take your agenda to someone else's thread. Either shit or get off the pot. Can you help or not.
    Kermit wrote:
    Perish the thought that a man from India would eat Indian food!

I said only eat Indian food. Shit do you permanently go around looking for arguments?
    Kermit wrote:
    What a disgrace! They should be eating burgers like the rest of us!

Bollocks
    Kermit wrote:
    hence the question, have you never lived in student digs?

Evidently it's not only students who live like that.
    Ok, my apologies, I'll be sure to run all my future posts by you before I post them, twunt.

What exactly are you debating?

Nothing.

If you want a borderline-racist whinge, then fine. Go to Anything Goes and moan that all Indian people are selfish bastards who don't clean up after themselves.

But what the hell does this have to do with politics OR debate?

Twunt? Please? That wasn't funny in 1998.
    Grow up doofus and take your agenda to someone else's thread. Either shit or get off the pot. Can you help or not.

An agenda?

Seeing as you are too cretinous to get it, no, Indian people are not selfish people who don't wash. And they don't smell either.
    I said only eat Indian food. Shit do you permanently go around looking for arguments?

I know what you said.

And heaven forfend that an Indian person would only eat Indian food! What a fucking disgrace!

I'd write to your MP if I were you.
    Kermit wrote:
    What exactly are you debating?

Nothing.

If you want a borderline-racist whinge, then fine. Go to Anything Goes and moan that all Indian people are selfish bastards who don't clean up after themselves.

I would, only I don't think that.
    Kermit wrote:
    Twunt? Please? That wasn't funny in 1998.

Whatever.
    Kermit wrote:
    An agenda?

Seeing as you are too cretinous to get it, no, Indian people are not selfish people who don't wash.

I've not said that they are. if you're going put words in my mouth then at least make them believeable.
    Kermit wrote:
    And they don't smell either.

I'm not saying that either. I said their clothes do. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE read my posts correctly instead of only the bits you want to see.
    Kermit wrote:
    And heaven forfend that an Indian person would only eat Indian food! What a fucking disgrace!

Ah grow up. Who cares what they eat? The issue is it makes the whole house smell, and I don't want my clothes to.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd write to your MP if I were you.

And I'd STFU if I were you.
    Wow! Are you really that ignorant? Like, I've got a question, there's this thick ignorant person, on a British message board I use and, like well, they're a bit of a dick and offensivly ignorant. I've heard tales of 'chavs' and 'cunt faced twats' posting on British boards. What do you think? Are British message board posters all llike this? I mean, is it like, in their, u know, culture?
    I said their clothes do. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE read my posts correctly instead of only the bits you want to see.

Ah grow up. Who cares what they eat? The issue is it makes the whole house smell, and I don't want my clothes to.

You said they smell, and they make the house smell.

Oh noes, your clothes might smell a bit of cooking? You poor dear. Have a cookie.

You're not monocrat are you? You certainly seem very familiar.
    katralla wrote:
    Wow! Are you really that ignorant? Like, I've got a question, there's this thick ignorant person, on a British message board I use and, like well, they're a bit of a dick and offensivly ignorant. I've heard tales of 'chavs' and 'cunt faced twats' posting on British boards. What do you think? Are British message board posters all llike this? I mean, is it like, in their, u know, culture?

Ok this for you and the other people who have decided to not read my post.

Before I moved in here, I didn't properly know any Indian people. These guys do things which I consider to be anti-social. I mentioned it to a mate of mine who I consider to know a bit more about their way of life than I do. He says they tend to be very community orientated, in the way that each member contributes to the home 'unit'.

I don't anyone else who has experience of the Indian culture so I'm asking you lot if you do.

Only now it seems like more trouble than its worth.
    Kermit wrote:
    You said they smell, and they make the house smell.

No, I said what they cook/eat makes the house smell. Enjoy putting words in my mouth? No it's ok, ignore this part of the post as it catches you red-handed.
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh noes, your clothes might smell a bit of cooking? You poor dear. Have a cookie.

Grow up. Some people object to their clothes smelling of cigarette smoke, I object to smelling of curry and spices.
    Kermit wrote:
    You're not monocrat are you?

You're not a frustrated teenager are you?
    Christ, just tell them to fuck off and leave your stuff alone.
    If they leave currified plates hanging around for washing up, break them over their respective heads (but don't leave owt of yours in the pile).

Tell them that the house isn't a fucking community, and that the more they piss you off, the more chance they have of being stabbed or their heads ending up in a grill.

They sound like a fucking pain, commie culture or not. Get out as soon as you can.
    I object to smelling of curry and spices.

Then move then.

It isn't anti-social to cook food that you like.

No, Indian people are not selfish- no more than anyone else.

We've read the post perfectly. We read it as generalised, borderline-racist drivel. Just because we think that (yet again) you're posting shite doesn't mean we can't read.

Still, if you wish to continue to illustrate your abject lack of intelligence, continue. It's amusing me.
    Ok this for you and the other people who have decided to not read my post.

Before I moved in here, I didn't properly know any Indian people. These guys do things which I consider to be anti-social. I mentioned it to a mate of mine who I consider to know a bit more about their way of life than I do. He says they tend to be very community orientated, in the way that each member contributes to the home 'unit'.

I don't anyone else who has experience of the Indian culture so I'm asking you lot if you do.

Only now it seems like more trouble than its worth.

Doh! An like, I seriously only joined ths one board so... I don't know if it's true of all British posters to be dicks. What do you think?
    I really fancy curry now.

Id suggest maybe you eat some of their curry when they make it and if they dont mind, then youll know its because its a community thing, rather than them being liberty taking food robbers.
    Kermit wrote:
    Then move then.

Interesting - see below.
    Kermit wrote:
    It isn't anti-social to cook food that you like.

That's not what I'm calling anti-social.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, Indian people are not selfish- no more than anyone else.

And I've not said that they are.
    Kermit wrote:
    We've read the post perfectly.

Now this is what I'm talking about - if you had then you'll know I'm not calling them anti-social for cooking curry. You'd have read that I've not called them selfish. You'll also would have noticed that I said I cannot move for another 2 months or so.

For your benefit I'll go over it again.

I have been told that it is in their culture to be 'community orientated', very much having a 'sharing' attitude when it comes to those within their domestic 'community'. This would mean that all those within their domestic set-up contributes together.

There - did you get it then? Shall I use even more simplified language for you?
    Kermit wrote:
    We read it as generalised, borderline-racist drivel. Just because we think that (yet again) you're posting shite doesn't mean we can't read

"We" - so now you speak for everyone who uses this site? Wow you really ARE up your own arse.
    Kermit wrote:
    Still, if you wish to continue to illustrate your abject lack of intelligence, continue. It's amusing me.

Excellent - I'll be appearing at the Apollo on the 3rd.