Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

recipes for the Stressy SG.....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I recon it tastes all sugary. blurgh.
    what do you do with tinned tuna?- explain in sloooow simple terms please.
    if you're feeling adveturous, you can make some

cheese sauce

just add to cooked pasta!

you need:
    flour
    butter
    grated cheese

in a pyrex jug (easiest as it has pint measurements on it) or microwavable glass bowl (you can also do this in a saucepan on the hob if you want) add

*big spoon of butter/olivio spread/butter substitute
    micro wave for a couple of seconds to melt the butter

now add
    *white flour, same volume as the butter you put in
    stir it vigorously till it's a nice big lump

add
    *small amount of milk, i'm talking teeny bit here
    stir vigourously to make a white paste

add
    *another teeny bit of milk
    stir vigourously to make a runnier white paste

now, slowly while stiring more, fill the jug up to about 1/4 pint (plenty for one person)

stick it in the microwave for a few minutes, stiring every so often till it starts to bubble nicely. Then take it out of the microwave, don't worry if it's a bit lumpy! now add the cheese & the lumps usually magically disapear ;)

now cover whatever food stuff you like in it :thumb:
    katralla wrote:
    what do you do with tinned tuna?- explain in sloooow simple terms please.

easiest thing:

open tin, drain off water (tastes better in spring water than in brine/oil)
    chuck in a bowl (anything will do, pudding bowl,glass bowl...)

add a couple of spoonfulls of mayo to your liking
    mix in some grated cheese
    stir it up with a fork till it's a nice mush

stick the lot on top of a hot baked potato (after the butter)
    I have eight tins! was on offer in tesco. ok, jacket and tuna mayo- good one, thank you. what else can i do with it?
    tuna napolitana!! :yum:

you can buy the mix from supermarkets and it says what to do on the back of the packet. really easy to do and yummy.

tuna and cucumber sandwiches?

tuna and pasta bake?
    have it with cheese spread and pasta. thats what i do ALL the time. or tuna and beans and pasta. tuna and cheese on toast too.
    ooh, and I came across a great desert idea by accident with my too cold fridge. Take a couple of over-ripe bananas, one spoon of brown sugar, one or two glases of milk, blend together. Drink a glass- yum. Freeze the other glass for later- yum yum.
    can't have them with tuna though. :yuck:
    some people put banana in curry. maybe a tuna and banana curry would taste good?
    katralla wrote:
    some people put banana in curry. maybe a tuna and banana curry would taste good?

interesting combo...

try it and tell us ;)
    i think not!

tuna and cheese melt paninis would be good.

but my #1 recommendation is tuna napolitana. all you need is tuna (duh!), the packet mix, butter, milk and tomato puree. don't think i missed anything there. you could add some grated cheese on the top (and grill under the oven for a bit if you fancy) but that's optional and more fatty.
    I thought napolitana was an ice cream? Ah well, almost chuckled out loud in the supermarket today at the thought of pork medalions around somone's neck! The best recipes alwys start- open the packet! lol
    katralla wrote:
    pork medalions around somone's neck!

:lol:

oh, you can also mix a tin of tuna with cooked pasta & the cheese sauce I mentioned earlier :yes:

eat it as it is, or stick it in an oven dish, grate some more cheese over the top, maybe add a couple of slices of tomato, stick it in the oven for a bit and you've got yourself a pasta bake :thumb:
    Replicant wrote:
    easiest thing:

open tin, drain off water (tastes better in spring water than in brine/oil)

Denied! Much Much tastier in oil.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Denied! Much Much tastier in oil.

but surely, oiley & gloopy? :p
    Pasta + mayonnaise + sweetcorn + tuna.

Seems to be a regular lunchtime meal here!
    cheese sauce is nice on white fish as well as pasta.

cottage pie is easy - brown some beef mince, add an onion and a tin of vegetable soup then put in an oven proof dish and add mash potato on the top, and put in the oven for 15mins
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote:
    I thought napolitana was an ice cream? Ah well, almost chuckled out loud in the supermarket today at the thought of pork medalions around somone's neck! The best recipes alwys start- open the packet! lol

Neopolitan is ice cream - chocolate, strawberry and vanilla - mmmmmmm :yum:

Napolitana is a tuna dish :yuck:
    Shop at Iceland. They have really really good deals and this includes healthy food! I shopped at the beginning of January and spent £40. I'm still living off all this food and have loads left yet. I've always shopped at Iceland since I've come to University and I spend on average £15 per week. I buy fruit and veg from fruit shops though as you cannot many in Iceland.
    *bump*

honey and mustard chicken serve with veg.

buy chicken tonight honey and mustard sauce, read instructions and follow them......
    Crispy cod things. Except I use quorn fillets, as I'm veggie :p

Put cod fillets in an ovenproof dish. Cover with a tin of campbells condensed mushroom soup. Sprinkle with crushed crisps-ready salted are good. Top with cheese, put in the oven for about half an hour.

Serve with veggies.
    pasta, tuna, vinegar and olive oil.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you can follow recipes then just get one of those student-y recipe books. There are loads around.

However, you could just buy any cookbook and follow the recipes. I used to make all sorts of fab things as a student and they didn't cost the earth. Once you have the basics then it's cheaper to cook from scratch.

Take tonight for instant. I am making a chicken korma (from scratch) but we had most of the ingredients already so all we needed was the chicken. Get into the habit and you shall be fine. Oh, and as long as you can follow instructions too.

Everyone has cooking disasters so don't worry about having them ;)
    :yes: and everyone can learn how to cook too!
    has stir-fry been mentioned? because that really is cheaper and cheap and can be adapted to your own tastes: noodles, beansprouts, mushrooms, carrots, sweetcorn, peppers, carrots, chicken, peas.... basically anything you like. or you can buy stirfrys already made up that you just chuck in the frying pan or wok (although that will cost more). Can also exchange the noodles for rice.
    i made the best noodles ever when i got home from work yesterday and was starving

you need 1 packed of tesco value mild curry supernoodles (8p). cook noodles, drain and mix with seasoning (provided), grated cheese, small spoonful of mayo and lots of black pepper. mix until everything is melted together. yummy cheesy creamy noodles! eat sandwiched between bread and butter if you're more hungry

for about 10p a serving its much cheaper than buying takeaway after the pub and the noodles only take 3 mins to cook!

oh also if you're runnin low on money the noodles are good to use with a stirfry instead of the expensive chinese ones, just throw away the seasoning and add some soy sauce
    For a cheap tea we just had a full Sunday roast.

A nice lamb shoulder joint, plenty of gravy, roast tatties and veg. Easy as heck to make, and very very filling and tasty.
    kangoo wrote:
    i made the best noodles ever when i got home from work yesterday and was starving

you need 1 packed of tesco value mild curry supernoodles (8p). cook noodles, drain and mix with seasoning (provided), grated cheese, small spoonful of mayo and lots of black pepper. mix until everything is melted together. yummy cheesy creamy noodles! eat sandwiched between bread and butter if you're more hungry

for about 10p a serving its much cheaper than buying takeaway after the pub and the noodles only take 3 mins to cook!

oh also if you're runnin low on money the noodles are good to use with a stirfry instead of the expensive chinese ones, just throw away the seasoning and add some soy sauce
    OMG noodle sandwiches - a taste sensation. I used to live on those.

Ive also used noodles from those packs in a stir fry and theyre fine, although usually id prefer a medium noodle for that rather than fine noodles, but they do the job if youre skint.
    Kat_B wrote:
    stir-fry

:yes: in the uni shop (cost-extortion or whatever) a stirfry pack is £1.25, perfect size, add some noodles and you're well away!
    I never eat that much veg usually because I can never be bothered to make them and you don't exactly think 'ooo I must make some veg' when your cooking up a tasty chop with some spuds..

I know that this isn't very healthy. I've started to buy bananas hoping to sort out my lack of nutrition. Anyone any ideas on how I can improve my diet and any good/novel ways of cooking or incorporating vegtables?