Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

another quick eye question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so my right eye's not having the best of luck this month. just need a wee bit of advice.

on thursday i deveoped this weird eye/head pain (it's hard for me to specify where it is). it only really hurts when i move my eye, if i keep it still it's barely noticeable. i took a couple of paracetamol, which made pretty much no difference, but i was really tired, and figured it was just something to do with that, and went to bed as soon as i got home. sleeping it off is generally my cure-all.

friday morning it was still not quite right, but felt quite a lot better, so i didn't really worry too much, and figured if it was still hanging around on monday i could just quickly nip to the doctors then.

over last night and this morning it's come back with a vengeance, and the vision in that eye is getting a bit squiffy.

i feel ok generally, and this whole eye business is more annoying that crippling, so i'll wait til monday if it's ok to. the only thing is that i quite like being able to see, and i'm not sure when i should start to worry.

anyone knowledgable about eyes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would ring nhs direct for advise.
    Tweety wrote:
    I would ring nhs direct for advise.

my experience with NHS direct and non-run of the mill ailments is that they'll get a nurse to ring me back, who'll advise me to get in touch with the out-of-hours service. i'll roll up to the out-of-hours doctor, who'll tell me it's probably an allergy/virus, and i should take anti-histamines/paracetamol and speak to my GP on monday if it's not better.

i'd rather deal with my GP next week, but obviously i don't want to wait that long if my face is going to explode in the meantime :p
    yeah maybe but then they might be able to advise if its urgent. Can't you phone the out of hours to speak to a doctor then?
    Don't mess around with eyes. If you can get to an optician today, do so. Otherwise see your GP on Monday or go to a hospital with an Eye Casualty if your vision gets worse.
    i'm holding on for monday morning, i think. it's not got any worse, seems to be a coming and going type thing. if it gets worse, i'll go see someone sooner.

i'd like to see my own doctor cause i have a feeling it might be to do with all the other stuff that's going on (they keep asking me if i have any eye troubles) and he knows the back story and whatnot.
    I think you should go and visit the out-of-hours clinic to be honest. But if you're having a lot of eye trouble as part of other treatments and ailments I wouldn't.

Are you eyes red and swollen? Is there any discharge?

If the muscle just hurts I'd hang on, probably. If your eye is discharging, or is swollen or red, get it checked out now.
    Kermit wrote:
    Are you eyes red and swollen? Is there any discharge?

no, it looks normal. the only thing is that it looks a little like the pupil is off-centre, but i don't even think that's possible, and it's probably just because i'm squinting a bit to avoid hurting it and it just looks like it is.

the reason they ask me about my eyes is because apparently some of the things that might cause the inflammation in my finger joints can also cause inflammation in the eyes. and cause they've taken me off the steroids which were controlling all that, various parts of my body are going tits up.