Home Politics & Debate

Micro$hite

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot 🤖Posts: 8,667 Automated Account
Micro$hite might get a daily fine of £1.4M from the EU...

I'm just so happy to see all the cash Micro$hite have to cough up
for taking the piss for so long I had to share it...

BBC Link

More fine links

To IBM

To RealNetworks

Who else is happy to finally see Micro$hite in so much troubles recently?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hope Microsoft win thier appeal.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They can easily afford it, if I was them I would just pay it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    Damn EU.

    Damn any government or anything like it really...

    But might point is just Micro$hite might cough up and I don't care who do
    it I just enjoy it :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    They can easily afford it, if I was them I would just pay it.

    Yeah they can, I wish they made them cough up much more...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think it is sad when a business that has been patently thrashed by a competitor uses the law to help its position in the market.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    i think it is sad when a business that has been patently thrashed by a competitor uses the law to help its position in the market.

    Lack of competition is not only bad for competitors, its also bad for the customer and Microsoft too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    i think it is sad when a business that has been patently thrashed by a competitor uses the law to help its position in the market.

    I think it's sad how Micro$hite have been allowed such methods as they used
    to be able to control the market. If competitors need to use laws to make they stop and pay for what they did, I say go for it. It is still peanuts to them...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Lack of competition is not only bad for competitors, its also bad for the customer and Microsoft too.

    There was no lack of competition, especially in real network's case.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    There was no lack of competition, especially in real network's case.

    Exactly, given consumers cant shop around for an operating system there is no competition, this means Microsoft wont do its best and therefore the customer gets a poorer quality good.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, given consumers cant shop around for an operating system there is no competition, this means Microsoft wont do its best and therefore the customer gets a poorer quality good.

    Totally agree with you on that one...

    I wouldn't have any trouble with them if they were providing us with efficient, stable and secure OS and software, but they don't. It's a shame, they have more money than any other company and CAN provide us with perfect solution, they just choose not to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think Microsoft have earned their possition. Do you see third world countries trying to fine developed countries just because they are more developed and thus are more sucessful? Nope.

    Any kid sitting in his parents garage can put them out of business, just watch the film Antitrust.

    And if I were Microsoft I'd refuse to pay the fine, they can afford not to. Even threaten to stop bussiness in Europe - can you imagine the devestation that would occur if Microsoft withdrew here? - We'd fall behind other countries, stuck in the 2000-2005 stoneage. With no tech support or updates we'd be forced to scrap >>everything<< and buy new OS and software and retrain to use it. If they did have to let third parties use their code I'd make them pay a royalty to Microsoft for doing so (and secretly code the next OS to run non MS slower Mhahaha).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We'd fall behind other countries, stuck in the 2000-2005 stoneage. With no tech support or updates we'd be forced to scrap >>everything<< and buy new OS and software. If they did have to let third parties use their code I'd make them pay a royalty to Microsoft for doing so (and secretly code the next OS to run non MS slower Mhahaha).

    Europe already is, the UK especially. Europe failing to integrate IT technology into businesses is why America continues to have such a huge lead in productivity over all its rivals.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, given consumers cant shop around for an operating system there is no competition, this means Microsoft wont do its best and therefore the customer gets a poorer quality good.

    There is plenty of competition. The realnetorks case wasnt about operating systems anyway. They were upset at microsoft being able to give its software away for free. If they cannot differentiate thier product enough to make people buy it then its tough shit, they shouldnt be able to cry to the government over the matter.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    Europe already is, the UK especially. Europe failing to integrate IT technology into businesses is why America continues to have such a huge lead in productivity over all its rivals.

    Is that why the US has such a big budget surplus?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yer partly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think Microsoft have earned their possition. Do you see third world countries trying to fine developed countries just because they are more developed and thus are more sucessful? Nope.

    Good point. Excellently put. :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    manickev wrote:
    Good point. Excellently put. :thumb:

    going off topic here but i don't think it's a very good analogy, because if you look at how developed countries have enslaved the developing ones and continue to do so through various economic policies you might see it differently.......this book provides some explanation of what i'm talking about, worth a read......

    as for how microsoft have gained such an edge in the market, it's mainly because they were the first to develop an easy GUI based OS for home users, imo......
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    real networks stuff was crap anyway, however theres other competition thats been screwed over by microsoft so hope they lose
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Find all the Prem league football players and shoot them in the kneecaps. The EU has got to level the playing feild so competition is fair.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    real networks stuff was crap anyway, however theres other competition thats been screwed over by microsoft so hope they lose
    :yes: Not that the money would even affect Microsoft, on principal they shoud lose for trying not to destroy the competition with better software, which is what they SHOULD be doing.

    Real Player is a pile of cock, mind.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah they can, I wish they made them cough up much more...

    Reading this made me think in a logical way, so sorry if im going to become a smart ass here :chin:

    Microsoft were the 1st people to invent PC's i think.

    People who work for microsoft probley left over the years and started Linx for e.g so if you think about it, they have made a good impact on our history and what our life with computers are like today.

    Sorry for being smart ass just had to say it :eek:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IBM developed the PC (there were computers before - but they were huge things) and Microsoft developed the software to go with it. DOS 1 in 1980 and Windows 1 Nov 20 1985.

    But what you say is basically true. Windows has shaped computer and related industries dramatically. The world would be a much different place without windows.....

    shanty_towns_150_150x180.jpg
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    O what a nice picture... :chin:

    Think about the long term affects, No IT in schools, No Computers for people to work on.

    With out Computers we would not evolve like some of the tv programs we see i.e Furture ones
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Using paper to calculate long division..... Using telegram for long distance messaging..... Using two sticks to make a fire.... Using Macs to do your work...

    What an ugly vision.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ms dont make the best software these days, their monopoly on media players and IE comes from fact its shipped with windows
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it bad Microsoft are so good at what they do?

    I mean it is not their fault they are so superior to all cometitors is it?

    Apple had their chance to steal technology from Microsoft, they didnt take it but when Microsoft had the same opportunity they took it. They are better businessmen, better at marketing and provide a superior product...sometimes.

    Point is, the other guys lost, so they should stop been cry babies and using monopoly laws, which clearly are not credible in new tech development projects, and suck it up!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    subject13 wrote:
    Is it bad Microsoft are so good at what they do?

    I mean it is not their fault they are so superior to all cometitors is it?

    Apple had their chance to steal technology from Microsoft, they didnt take it but when Microsoft had the same opportunity they took it. They are better businessmen, better at marketing and provide a superior product...sometimes.

    Point is, the other guys lost, so they should stop been cry babies and using monopoly laws, which clearly are not credible in new tech development projects, and suck it up!


    microsoft do make generally alrite software, basically despite huge problem their software seems to tick by ok

    they don't outdo their competition though, and in terms of media players and browsers theres far better ones out there which is why firefox is increasing its share REALLY quickly now, the only reason most people use them is cause its bundled with windows, and because of that its abusing its position with its monopoloy on windows (which personally i find alrite, and relatively customisable compared to linux and mac osx)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Micro$hite is not good at what they do...

    Their OS are crap and all they did is copied the Mac interface that
    was the same as windows since Mac launched their first system...

    As I said I have no problem with them providing browser and media player, cos it is an OS I think anyone who got a system and install an OS want to be able to play CD and surf the web straight away... If they don't provide Internet Explorer, how can we go and download Firefox... It would be neat if they were providing us with multiple browsers to choose from like Linux often does tho...

    My main problem with them is there methods, even for MS-DOS which make their success, they kind of fuck over IBM which they were dealing with at the time and this is the main reason why IBM have been after Microsoft since then...

    Micro$hite steal technology from smaller business and personal developer without even paying the licensing fee for most of them and by not providing source code and the rest of shit to other developer it is a way for them to protect themself as people might find more script they have stolen...

    I remember a case that was 1 or 2 years agao, where a personal developer sued Micro$hite for having stealing his work and not having paying the licensing to him... They ended up paying him something round $540M if I remember well...

    That because of stuff like that and for their inability to provide us with stable and secure envirnment that I am happy to see them pay, I don't care who does it or for which reason or how they do it, as long as they are after them I am happy...

    They did do some good by bringing home computer to the public, but they are taking the piss and should provide with good products.

    Why do you think so many windows users get their system hacked, or get virus and others, when linux like OS users do not have as many trouble.

    Micro$hite don't care about users and there is way too many security issue is there software, they way windows have been design and work is awful, it is not a wonder it is never stable...

    If they finally decide to provide with perfect OS and pay all technology and other developer work they used I would have no trouble with them.

    But I don't think it will ever happend...

    It will maybe takes ages, but I'm sure they will go down one day...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    microsoft do make generally alrite software, basically despite huge problem their software seems to tick by ok

    they don't outdo their competition though, and in terms of media players and browsers theres far better ones out there which is why firefox is increasing its share REALLY quickly now, the only reason most people use them is cause its bundled with windows, and because of that its abusing its position with its monopoloy on windows (which personally i find alrite, and relatively customisable compared to linux and mac osx)
    Exactly my point, they are superior businessmen at Microsoft!
Sign In or Register to comment.