Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what do you think....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to open relationships? anyone been in one?

Comments

• Options
    Dinted wrote:
    not really that maningful a relationship imo
  • Options
    i agree, kinda goes against a lot of the principles of a relationship. It's just a casual thing in that case
  • Options
    The "open" part sort of takes away the meaning of the relationship, IMO.
  • Options
    not been in one. I prefer monogamy.
    I dont necessarily think its `wrong`, but i would never be able to handle it, especially if i loved the other person.
  • Options
    not been in one. I prefer monogamy.
    I dont necessarily think its `wrong`, but i would never be able to handle it, especially if i loved the other person.
    Indeed. I would be intensely jealous of any other women my bf was with.
  • Options
    I've never been in one, personally I perfer monogamy, but thats just me. If both parties are happy to be in an open relationship, then I don't see any reason why it would not work. But personally I believe that I would find it difficult to be in an open relationship.
  • Options
    if i loved the other person there is absolutely no way i would let anyone else near her
  • Options
    whatever floats your boat and all that, but i don't see the point.

if you want to sleep around, why not just sleep around?
  • Options
    whats the point?
  • Options
    i dont want to sleep around, we both like each other but dont want to be tied down. we get on really well but dont want commitment. and i am enjoying meeting other people not to sleep with but for a snog etc. we are i guess kinda in one already. its a hard situation and am just considering whats best really....
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    i dont want to sleep around, we both like each other but dont want to be tied down. we get on really well but dont want commitment. and i am enjoying meeting other people not to sleep with but for a snog etc. we are i guess kinda in one already. its a hard situation and am just considering whats best really....
    i'm in the exact same position as you at the moment. :/
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i dont think i could handle knowing that my bf was out sleeping with someone else. the jealousy would be too much to bear!
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

why be in a relationship though? you can still spend time together if you are both technically single. i don't see why have the hassle of a relationship, when you could be single, hook up with the person you like, hook up with other people you like, and not feel guilty/get into a terrible emotional tangle.

for me, an open relationship is a bit like saying 'i like you, but i don't like you that much, so is it ok if i just get off with someone else whenever i'm bored of you?'
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i'm in the exact same position as you at the moment. :/
    oooh share the details....
  • Options
    Open relationships, an excuse to shag about with the guarantee of a shag at home at the end of the night.
  • Options
    I agree with most people in this thread, For me it just wouldn't feel 'right'. I get jealous when my girlfriend says other guys are hot or whatever, so, the thought of an open relationship isn't a pleasant one.
  • Options
    no point!

if you want to sleep around, be single!
  • Options
    In my opinion open relationships are only an excuse to have someone to sleep with when you can't find anyone else to sleep with.
  • Options
    if i liked someone quite a bit then i wouldn't be able to be in an open relationship with them because i wouldn't ike the thought of them shagging about with someone else and likewise i'm sure.
  • Options
    The prospect of the physical (and to some extent, emotional) side of a relationship without full-blown commitment, as such, is quite appealing.

I don't think I'd be able to manage it though, for me it'd probably end up being a breeding ground for jealousy and insecurity. Though, I suppose you can't say until you try it...
  • Options
    I'm in one at the moment although my gf doesn't know about it :p JOKE
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

They only work if both people (Or all four or however multiples are involved) are fully aware of what is going on and fully agreed on the 'rules'.

As far as I know someone usually ends up getting hurt.
  • Options
    Been in one for few months...

But was nothing like a "proper relationship"...

It was more based around sex than anything else...
  • Options
    Open relationships, an excuse to shag about with the guarantee of a shag at home at the end of the night.

And ain't that the truth.

The physical equivalent of having your cake and eating it.

Fair enough if both people are happy with the arrangement, commitment-free regular sex is great until something better comes along, but I don't think you can be open and in a relationship.
  • Options
    i agree with what most other people have said, there is no point. my best mates in one at the moment but when she finds out hes been with someone else then she'll go out and do the same, then he'll find out and do the same. they treat it like its some sort of competition...
  • Options
    No such thing tbh its just bullshit from america as usual
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    for me, an open relationship is a bit like saying 'i like you, but i don't like you that much, so is it ok if i just get off with someone else whenever i'm bored of you?'
    how about "I love you so much, and trust you, that I'm OK if you love other people too"
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    how about "I love you so much, and trust you, that I'm OK if you love other people too"

my personal opinion is that if you love one person enough, you don't want or need anyone else.

that's why i said 'for me'.
  • Options
    I'm jealous enough of the fact that the guy I like is liked by me and another girl, and likes both of us. I would never be able to handle an open relationship.

Just be single, it's exactly the same if you want it to be ffs.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Just be single, it's exactly the same if you want it to be ffs.
    What about love? how do you have love if you are single?
    goes against a lot of the principles of a relationship
    a lot? surely at most just one of them; and as I see it if "only having sex with this person" is a large part of a realtionship, then that relationship isn't built on much.
    kermit wrote:
    until something better comes along,
    would we have a joint mortgage if we were simply waiting for something better to come along?