Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Surgery on the NHS?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would I be able to get my ears pinned back on the NHS? They're one of the reasons I'm most unhappy with myself. I know that I'd have to ask my doctor but then I'd have to claim I got bullied for them etc which i didn't (I got bullied for other things that I know can't be fixed with surgery).

My ears aren't really one of my main concerns. I'd just like to have normal ears. I have become a bit paranoid recently about the number of people who say they are quite big. I dunno, you decide.
me.JPG 60.3K

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Only if it is seriously affecting your psychological health and not simply because they don't look that great.
    well i don't think it'd be really fair on other people on the waiting list to 'claim' that you got bullied 'cause of them. if you did want to, you'd have to go through all sorts of psychological tests to make sure it's what you really want.
    i remember seeing a programme called 'cosmetic kids' and a girl had her ears pinned back on the NHS
    i dunno if its different for kids though...
    Yeah, you have to have a pretty good reason to get non-essential surgery via the NHS
    I actually know a lot of people who had their ears pinned back on the NHS (mostly when we were in early Secondary school). Incidentally, as Ballerina mentioned, it may well be a very different situation for a child and an adult.

If it's making you very unhappy then I don't see why you shouldn't at least talk to your doctor about it and let him know your feelings and the impact on your self-esteem etc; [having been a victim of] bullying is one of criteria but not the deciding factor.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i had mine done when i was 15. my gp never really questioned why i wanted it done, i just said they made me feel different. she explained that she didnt feel that they were too bad, and not to keep my hopes up, but all the same referred me to the consultant who took one look at me and said ill book you in for may! (about 9months) so then i was convinced they were hideous!! haha! i had no psycholgical tests and nor did i need them. eventually i had the op in the january, and i have never looked back since. i dont think i would be who i am now if i hadnt had them pinned. it bloody hurt, but id recommend it to anyone who felt insecure due to their sticky out ears. and no one who hasnt had them will ever understand the need to cover them up or wish them to be smaller and flatter. so Jazza go and speak to your GP and explain the way you feel. (oh and u will love the turben u have to wear afterwards...so sexy!)