Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why are models so skinny?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    When it comes to runway models and such, I dont understand the "fashion" at all. They are always just these hideous things that don't even resemble an outfit.

Whats this
    or this
    god forbid this
    Thats what makes children cry. I dont understand the "fashion"
    Fantastic outfits. where can I get them from? :lol:
  • Options
    why do they want clothes to hang though? i though the idea of clothes was that they fit to suit your shape?
    i agree, runway models look so unreal, really dead looking. and alot of fashion designers must be high on crack when they came up with those outfits above!
  • Options
    If the woman was realllllyy fit, as someone said before, ppl wouldn't pay much attention to the clothes. i know i wouldnt anyway :P
  • Options
    people who are 10 are like a bag of bones so even skinny than that is digusting. i think size 12-16 is fine nice an cluddy and im a girl by the way
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    people who are 10 are like a bag of bones so even skinny than that is digusting. i think size 12-16 is fine nice an cluddy and im a girl by the way
    yeh, make yourself feel better ;)
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:

haha people who are a size 10 are a bag of bones? i'm an 8..so does that make me non-existant right?
  • Options
    well im a 10 and i wouldnt call myself anywhere near a bag of bones tbh.
  • Options
    People often miss the point with fashion and couture designs. The designers don't make them for people to wear; they're not thinking 'ooh, will people buy this on the high street' when they design the clothes. It's a form of art - they explore themes and ideas and concepts through clothing. The fact that Topshop and places like that use couture designs as a basis for their high-street everyday clothing isn't related; you're not supposed to think it'd look good on you.

As for the models, they're not meant to be pretty. People hear the word 'model' and think of catalogue models and supermodels, who are meant to look attractive - high fashion is about interesting faces in an artistic way.

It's all AAAHT, daaahling!
  • Options
    I'm a size 8 or 10 depending on the shop. I'm an 8 in Next, Topshop, M&S and places like that, but a 10 in Newlook and other shops designed at the younger shopper. I'm not a bag of bones, but I'm not fact either.
  • Options
    Well the last few posts make me feel bad. I'm an 8, which I think is like a 12 or something and it seems like thats just fat to you. God forbid :\ I wouldn't say the lesser is a bag of bones, but I'd hardly consider saying that a 12 is fine is "trying to make yourself feel better"
  • Options
    but the thing is about models that ive seen (i.e. at the clothes show) they were all ugly, or at least average. Not one of them were good looking!!! they all looked moody+hungry.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Well the last few posts make me feel bad. I'm an 8, which I think is like a 12 or something and it seems like thats just fat to you. God forbid :\ I wouldn't say the lesser is a bag of bones, but I'd hardly consider saying that a 12 is fine is "trying to make yourself feel better"
    don't feel bad, i was just being mean because she came out with a ridiculous statement that 10 is like a bag of bones when it really isnt. and then said that anything lower than that is disgusting. there wasnt any need for it.
  • Options
    i'm a size 8, but im not skinny at all, im quite fleshy and curvy
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    don't feel bad, i was just being mean because she came out with a ridiculous statement that 10 is like a bag of bones when it really isnt. and then said that anything lower than that is disgusting. there wasnt any need for it.

Ah I get ya the infection has gone to my brain apperantly :p Yes though, when it gets to a size 00 and your like 5'7 I'd call that a bag of bones. (or runway models hehe, oh i'm bad)
  • Options
    I'm a 10-12. I've never found catwalk models attractive - they look like the zombies in the Lucozade ads. As long as I have boobs I don't mind the arse and a tummy coz the tummy can always be toned up a bit.
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:

Go away monocrat.

As for the original question- its mostly because the big fashion names are either homosexuals or paedophiles.

The clothes hang better on skinny people because they are designed to hang better on skinny people. There's no other reason than that.

I wouldn't say that slim, or even skinny, people are "mingtastic". If you are the weight you are meant to be then you are as attractive as you can be. Those with EDs don't tend to look hot just as those with fourteen chins don't, but a lot of women are naturally very slender just as some are naturally curvy.

Clothes will never hang right on everyone, so I guess a skinny model is as good as any to choose. partly for the cynical reasons I mention, and partly because of the cynical reasons kaff mentions.

I would like to give a special shout out to Lagerfeld. I hope you fall under a bus and don't die.
  • Options
    How tall do you have to be to be a model? And what is an ED? And its good to see that no one actually likes anorexically skinny women
  • Options
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    How tall do you have to be to be a model? And what is an ED? And its good to see that no one actually likes anorexically skinny women
    You have to be at least 5ft 8.
    ED = eating disorder.
    Some people do like really skinny women.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    lisalashe wrote:

Ok - this is far from true as a few have you have already said - but lisalashe is blatantly not monocrat!