Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are the Lib Dems going to totally destroy themselves?

Simon Hughes has now admited that he has had relationships with both men and women (who cares?) because the Tabloids were hassling him about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4649266.stm

Whatever you think of the Lib Dems, having three active parties is good for debate, democracy and politics.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes having more then just 2 dominating parties is good for debate and democracy.

However, the Lib Dems are totally done. It is weird, you think Lib Dem supporters would be the people who like drinking, fornicating, drug using types and not be concered, yet they seem to be.

Is it not weird that that David Cameron Cocaine shame barely lasted a week, yet the Lib Dem collapse keeps snow balling on and on.
    Is it not weird that that David Cameron Cocaine shame barely lasted a week, yet the Lib Dem collapse keeps snow balling on and on.

I am pretty certain that if it was desirable, you could find out something on almost every member of the human race. The party leadership must have known, if it was me investing years of my life on other people's reputaion I would have them checked pretty damn carefully.

The question is, why are the Lib Dems currently being targetted?
    Whatever you think of the Lib Dems, having three active parties is good for debate, democracy and politics.

This might be a clue......
    Or they could be targetted because they are yellow! No one likes yellow!
    I really don't understand why the media hates the Lib Dems all of a sudden. Perhaps because they want to suck up to Cameron?
    THe Lib Dems are a joke Renzo, why cant you see it?

Beards and sandals do not make a party of government.
    THe Lib Dems are a joke Renzo, why cant you see it?

Beards and sandals do not make a party of government.

I would have thought you would been in agreement with the Orange Book crowd.
    You know as well as I do that they are just a few MP's in Westminster (who might start jumping ship to the Lib Dems soon).

THe vast majority of Lib Dem members and MPs can be described just so : beard and sandals.
    What is really sad is that in this country being homosexual apparently can be detrimental for a life in politics. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Continuing prejudice and discrimination is a small price to pay for improved newspaper circulation, and a few laughs. "Another one bites the pillow" was apparently a sub-headline in The S*n today.

How wonderful.
    \
    Id expect to hear some Libdem jokes coming out (Oh look theres one, behave) soon.

With much of the world being Homophobic, Asia Africa and South America, id prefer we didnt have a gay prime minister, it could be embarising and might be detremental to us at summet G8 type meetings. Not to mention the abuse we'd get as tourists. Althrough a few in the cabinate wouldnt be much of a problem.
    Its got nothing to do with being homosexual.

Its got everything to do with them being a bunch of shameless buffoons with no wish to become a proper party of government.
    Oh really?

Are you sure it's not to do with the first past the post system?

Because if we had PR, the Lib Dems would have humiliated the Tories into 3rd place a great many times already.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    What is really sad is that in this country being homosexual apparently can be detrimental for a life in politics. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Continuing prejudice and discrimination is a small price to pay for improved newspaper circulation, and a few laughs. "Another one bites the pillow" was apparently a sub-headline in The S*n today.

How wonderful.

It is a shame... I thought we were psat this primitive stage? Sigh...

It seems you must be perfect man to stay in Politics these days. Or Very Corrupt!
    I got the impression that it was not that he was gay that was the problem but that he lied about it when questioned (though yuo could ask why he should be questioned about it in the first place)

I think adopting a Cameron style policy oif refusing to comment is the best way to go, it worked well for him whereas if he openly admitted or denied it (allegations of drug use) there could have been trouble
    Yeah I agree with that... a 'no comment' stance is probably best. Though you more or less will guarantee a lifetime of questions, jibes and comments.
    \
    Its got nothing to do with the men been homosexual or bi-sexual, its to do with them been "In the closet" about it. I bet they would be left alone after a couple of days if they came out and admitted their true sexuallity.

Also, if they say no comment and that they are taking a stand to not resign the media usually gives up and finds an easier target. It happened with the conservatives, they had resignation after resignation until eventually one MP refused to resign, i forget who he was but that was like the end of the tabloids chasing stories to get resignations for the party for quite a few years.

Also, if we had Proportional Representation, meaning total votes nationwide, the Conservatives would have loads of seats. In the last election i saw they got more votes overall then Labour, because generally Tory constituencies have larger populations and take up larger areas. Thats why to win an Election the Tories have to gain over a one third more votes then labour just to tie with them.
    Why should anyone's sexuality be anyone's business but there own?

This is gutter journalism at its worst and a clear example of how tabloid smear campaigns become the standard to which even the BBC will gladly lower itself to manipulate public opinion in support of the status quo.

Ive come to view the BBC as no different than any other mainstream "news" source. Hell, BBC World runs corporate ads as well. Tell me they dont spin and sanitise like the rest of them.

Stick to indy press, the last bastion of any real investigative newsworthy journalism.
    There's even a poll on Teletext asking whether it's ok for politicials to be gay.
    I really feel sorry for Mark Oaten. He was my local MP and a really cracking constituency politician. I think private life should stay private and as long as it never affects their work, what's the issue?

Fucking tabloid press have ruined another career.
    I really feel sorry for Mark Oaten. He was my local MP and a really cracking constituency politician. I think private life should stay private and as long as it never affects their work, what's the issue?

Fucking tabloid press have ruined another career.

Most of the public would like to know if their MP is claiming to be a ‘family man’ except is really lying to their family and secretly paying for sex.

I wouldn’t want to be represented by somebody that dishonest. I don’t know if this is necessarily true, although say Mark Oaten only married and had children to aid his political career and give him an attractive family-friendly image to voters. If that is the case that’s definitely deception and many people wouldn't want to be represented by someone that’s so ashamed about their sexuality that they cannot be open about it.

With regard to Hughes, it’s disappointing that he wasn’t more open about things and it’s a shame that he has sought to hide his sexuality for political gain. However, he hasn’t misled a wife and family nor paid for sex which make Oaten unfit to be LibDem leader imo – Hughes, while being selective with the truth hasn’t really misled people on the scale that Oaten did. (And most people thought Hughes was gay anyway it seems). Hughes would still make an excellent leader, definitely better than Campbell.
    the new tory boy had it right ...probably by accident but he had it right.
    i aint telling ya ...
    sod off ...
    what the fucks it got to do with you?
    so what!

in other words yes but ...all the above.
    some might not like it that the newboy is a stoner but ...a lot of fuddy duddies have been impressed with his attitude ...makes you wonder why they would though dunnit!
    Ive come to view the BBC as no different than any other mainstream "news" source. Hell, BBC World runs corporate ads as well. Tell me they dont spin and sanitise like the rest of them.

Thats a completely different company, it isnt the BBC as we have it here because the BBC doesnt use the licence fee to broadcast abroad. Thats why they have to have ad's.
    Its prob also worth noting that Hughes ran one of the most homophobic campaigns in political memory when he was standing against Tatchell in the early 80s (in Bermondsey)
    NQA wrote:
    Its prob also worth noting that Hughes ran one of the most homophobic campaigns in political memory when he was standing against Tatchell in the early 80s (in Bermondsey)

A Straight Choice - a headline often used by Hughes in his campaign.
    at the end of the day ...they are proving themselves to be as inept and stupid ...as dishonest and fucking stupid ...as useless and fucking stupid ...as the rest of the stupid people who seem to offer themselves to 'serve' us.
    Don't you mean "preside over us", MR?
    Don't you mean "preside over us", MR?
    never let facts get in the way of the truth ...you should know that!
    Aladdin wrote:
    What is really sad is that in this country being homosexual apparently can be detrimental for a life in politics. :rolleyes: Continuing prejudice and discrimination is a small price to pay for improved newspaper circulation, and a few laughs. "Another one bites the pillow" was apparently a sub-headline in The S*n today.
    This perspective might interest you then. The Independent's got the interview with him.
    1374486.jpg
    Mind you, this is the same newspaper that ran an interview about Charles Kennedy saying on a Saturday that he wasn't going to stand down. And what happened later that afternoon? You only need guess.