Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this fair?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just asked my mum if i can go and visit my bf in the summer when my exams were over. She said no straight away and said i'm 'not old enough.' What? I'll be coming up to 17, i will be about to start my A-levels. I'll be a young adult and not allowed to go and visit my boyfriend! Why can't she give me some more freedom? She thinks im going cause i want sex. Thats not the case! I want to go and meet his family and friends and go and see places etc. I don't think its fair to stop me, its not like im irresponsible or immature. Any tips on convincing her? I just want to proove i can be responsible.
I asked what is 'old enough' and she said another year or so. She also said 'just because you're old enough doesn't mean i have to give my permission'. But i don't need permission to have sex with him! I don't fancy losing my virginity in his room, we want it to be somewhere special. So i won't be having sex. Its just not fair for him to have to keep coming up here and paying for petrol etc when i can get free rail travel to go see him!

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    At 16 you really should be able to go where you want.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    At 16 you really should be able to go where you want.

My sister is 16 and her freedom is very limited.

I guess it varies from family to family.
  • Options
    well why don't you let her talk to your boyfriends mum who will be able to reassure of sleeping arrangements.

but if it was me i'd put my foot down. its the only way to do it when your parents think you're still their little baby. when i was 17 my mum wouldn't let my boyfriend stay over so i said 'fine, i'll go stay at his then. it's legal and you can't stop me'.
    depends what type of person you are :p and whether you still do what you're told.

eta: you're going on the pill and now you're going to stay at your boyfriends. of course she's thinks you are going to have sex! if you are truly not going to then share that with your mum.
  • Options
    This is the theory. And it works for everyone. When I was a young teenager I had to be in by 9:30. I got home 9:25, 9:20, 9:27, 9:29, but NEVER even one second after 9:30. I had a pager, I NEVER ignored it. When I asked to stay out til 10, the answer was yes. When I asked to stay at my mates (who was known to be a terrible influence on me, and in fact took me to a gig at a pub that night aged 15), the answer was yes. When I was told to be back, I was never late. When I asked to take the car the answer was yes. And when I "crashed" the car (ie scratched it or dented the bumper a little bit) the first thing I did was ring my dad. The answer is still yes to borrowing the car.

I'm 20, my dad told me to be back at 10 over the summer holidays, my first reaction was "what?! why?" I got no reason, but I guarentee you now I was BACK at 9:59.59. It was a one off.

I am allowed to drive halfway across the country in my dad's car without having to check in. I don't have to tell him where I'm going, and I only need a vague indication of when I'm going to be back. Because he trusts me, because I PROVED I could be trusted.

You want her trust, you do what she says, if it's really unreasonable, say you think she's being unfair, but DO IT ANYWAY. It's not about what you have the "right" to, you'll get nothing that way.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I don't fancy losing my virginity in his room, we want it to be somewhere special.
    What? Like a Travel Lodge or something? :thumb:

Obviously if you want to prove you're responsible then don't do anything stupid like going anyway, when she's asked you not to. That goes without saying. Perhaps you could talk to his parents, and ask them to give assurances to you mum that you'll be sleeping in separate rooms or something. My cousin's 16 and when her boyfriend stays over, he sleeps in the loft room. Could you suggest to them that you go with a few friends instead?
  • Options
    i'm not going on the pill...she wouldn't let me. but really...i'll be about to start my a levels, its legal for me to have sex if i like but she said 'because its legal doesnt mean i have to give my permission' i dont need permission. i just need the freedom to show that i can be responsible. how can she see that i can be responsible if she doesnt give me a chance?
  • Options
    Actually, as far as I know the law on sex is that it's legal WITH parental permission, much like the one for marriage between the ages of 16 and 18. TBH I don't see you respecting your mothers judgement here, so why should she respect yours?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Well i'm not planning on having sex when i go anyway. I'm just asking for some more freedom to prove that i can be responsible.
  • Options
    Ballerina mate, it goes the other way prove responsibility then get freedom. It's easy enough.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I am responsible, i don't go out drinking, i'm in the top 1% at school, i never get into trouble. If she wont let me prove that i can be responsible then how am i going to get the freedom? I can see why shes worried but she can't keep me locked up forever.
  • Options
    Yeah, I hate to say it but they're right. Due to my parents work hours, I started proving my own responsibilty when I was 9, by getting myself to school and back and safely locking all the house and making my breakfast etc without mishap, instead of going to my nans each day. When I did that, at 10 I was allowed to go into town with friends, as long as they dropped me off and picked me up. I was also allowed to go out til 8:30, not one minute later, and I stuck to that. It slowly increases, but eventually, when you've proved your responsible, you earn their trust. Now, at 17, I can do what I want to do... but anything new has to go by their terms.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I want to go and meet his family and friends and go and see places etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but how far away does your boyfriend live and how did you meet him if he lives so far away?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I am responsible, i don't go out drinking, i'm in the top 1% at school, i never get into trouble. If she wont let me prove that i can be responsible then how am i going to get the freedom? I can see why shes worried but she can't keep me locked up forever.
    When was the last time she asked you to be back at a certain time? What was that time? and when did you get back?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    but if it was me i'd put my foot down. its the only way to do it when your parents think you're still their little baby. when i was 17 my mum wouldn't let my boyfriend stay over so i said 'fine, i'll go stay at his then. it's legal and you can't stop me'.
    depends what type of person you are :p and whether you still do what you're told.

:yes:

Calmly tell your old dear where to go.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Well I think it's a bit riduculas to be honest.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't really go out as such. Not at night anyway. But when i do go somewhere we always arrange times and i always stick to it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Knobbbly wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but how far away does your boyfriend live and how did you meet him if he lives so far away?
    He lives 200 miles away. I originally met him on the net a few years ago and we met in person summer 04.
  • Options
    i agree, it's totally ridiculous...but the last thing she wants is to piss her mother off completely. what is needed is compromise and understanding, not a falling out, that won't help ballerina's situation at all.

Well said. It's no point just saying "well shes 16, she should be allowed" for all we know, her mum might have personal feelings on the matter.

Ballerina, are you the oldest/youngest/middle/only child in your family? (Yeah, alot of options I know, sorry :))
  • Options
    Try and compromise, tell her what you told us. If she doesn't budge, tell her straight. that's she's being unreasonable
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's just the way parents are. I'm 19, and when i'm back from Uni and go out, they still stay up and wait for me to come in, even if i'm in at 3 or 4 in the morning.

To be honest, at 16 i don't think it's entirely unreasonable. My girlfriend is also 16, and i'm not sure that her parents would let her come and stay with me, even though i get on really well with them, and she has lots of freedom in other ways. I think it is alot to ask, even though you are obviously responsible.
  • Options
    i honestly don't see the problem....
    i'm responsible, i can get myself places and its not like i go out drinking or sleeping about like alot of girls my age
    i get good grades and im a star pupil at school
    i always stick to times to be back and stuff
    my parents have known him for ages, they get on well with him and really like him
    it'll be the summer holidays so exams will be done and it would be a mini-holiday for myself because im working so hard
    so whats the deal?
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Well said. It's no point just saying "well shes 16, she should be allowed" for all we know, her mum might have personal feelings on the matter.

Ballerina, are you the oldest/youngest/middle/only child in your family? (Yeah, alot of options I know, sorry :))
    i'm the oldest
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Maybe this is a long shot... but this is a re-write of a situation I was in that I used to convince my mum, so it might work...

If she's so dead against you going down there, maybe see if he could come to you for a couple of nights first? Make sure you stick to all the rules, and sleep in seperate beds etc, so that she cans ee you are being responsible. Then, if she agrees obviously, you can go back to where he lives with him for a few days. Maybe if she can put her mind at rest over how you are going to act in the situation, she'll feel better?

It's worth a shot, just make sure you ask calmly :)
  • Options
    P.S Oldest kids usually get it the roughest. Your parents aren't used toa daughter/child of your age yet. Once they've tested the waters with you, its the setting for all your siblings, and they'll get it alot easier.
  • Options
    is anybody else feeling deja vu?

I was thinking the same thing.