Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Accident over an accident

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Owned.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:

Tripping over papers, how dumb was she? :no:
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:

wel i suppose they probly had a box full of flyers in the office with a phone number on that she could use, asking if she has had an accident in the last 3 years
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Tripping over papers, how dumb was she? :no:

That's why these sort of people feel the need to sue, because they want to try to cover up for their own stupidty.

"I slipped on the floor at work because it was wet" really means "I fell over on the floor because I'm too fucking stupid to look where I'm going, so I'm going to sue someone for it"
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    That's why these sort of people feel the need to sue, because they want to try to cover up for their own stupidty.

If you have an accident at work there nothing wrong in claiming back lost earnings.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ha ha! the irony! but i agree with skive, no problem getting some money back if you couldnt work coz something the employer is to blame for - even if not directly.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If you have an accident at work there nothing wrong in claiming back lost earnings.

In some ways I agree, however in other ways I think that a lot of people just try it on to cash in on their own stupidity.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    In some ways I agree, however in other ways I think that a lot of people just try it on to cash in on their own stupidity.

Yes and no, in large part the 'compensation culture' is a myth, the payments given out and the percentage of people who win is a lot lower than most people think.

Take this case, the woman has been (the court accepted her evidence) in pain for three years and she gets under £5k, thats not very much, especially when you take loss of earnings into account.
  • Options
    haha, the irony..love it!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes and no, in large part the 'compensation culture' is a myth, the payments given out and the percentage of people who win is a lot lower than most people think.

...But that doesn't stop people trying
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    ...But that doesn't stop people trying

Of course not, but the 'where there is blame theres a claim' thing is far more complicated than people think.

Would you think £5k is enough for three years of pain?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Of course not, but the 'where there is blame theres a claim' thing is far more complicated than people think.

Would you think £5k is enough for three years of pain?

luckily I don't decide such things.
  • Options
    She tripped over papers. Paper! How the hell did she get so injured that she had lost wages and pain for three years :\ Thats what gets me. It was probably her damn stack of papers too
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    She tripped over papers. Paper! How the hell did she get so injured that she had lost wages and pain for three years :\ Thats what gets me. It was probably her damn stack of papers too

The company demands its employees print off all forms, it does not give them proper storage, they ask for storage, the company doesnt want to because they are trying to cut costs. Person carrying files trips and falls, injuring leg and ankle. Its simple really and can clearly be the fault of the company.

If the company is paying you to be there, then you have the right to expect the place not to be dangerous.
  • Options
    Yeah yeah yeah, I get all that, my thought was, how is somebody dumb enough to actualy get that injured on papers.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah yeah yeah, I get all that, my thought was, how is somebody dumb enough to actualy get that injured on papers.

So I'm guessing you have never tripped over something?
  • Options
    I love Irony.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So I'm guessing you have never tripped over something?

Not anything that actually injures me to that point, its tripping, a stubbed toe at best. especially paper :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Not anything that actually injures me to that point, especially paper :rolleyes:

It doesnt have to be one peice of paper, it could have been a box of papers, or a stack of files.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It doesnt have to be one peice of paper, it could have been a box of papers, or a stack of files.

I've tripped over those several times at work, broke a nail once when I hit it against a cabinet. It takes skill to trip over something and injure yourself so seriously.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've tripped over those several times at work, broke a nail once when I hit it against a cabinet. It takes skill to trip over something and injure yourself so seriously.

Not really, just bad luck, or maybe she had brittle bones, or maybe she caught the edge of a metal cabinet....
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:

No it doesn't.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Tripping doesn't necessarily come with an injury, although it can happen. I mean, if she hit her head in the desk, hard, she would probably classify as "injured seriously" - or?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

skill? it's not like they do it on purpose!

well they might sometimes to claim compensation but they tend to be called accidents for a reason.
  • Options
    Miss Riley, from Newburgh, saidshe had suffered pain and loss of earnings since falling while at work in the company's Perth office three years ago.

We will probably never know if that statement is true.

How does someone realise they were injured three years ago? :lol:
  • Options
    they don't just get given the money willy nilly!! my mum's had compensation for a car accident before and she had to have regular medical assessments etc/
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

If they can pull it off, excellent. I wish I could earn £5k everytime I tripped up :)
  • Options
    If they can pull it off, excellent. I wish I could earn £5k everytime I tripped up :)

Like the woman who burnt her lip on a pickle from a fast food place then sued, if I can remember correctly she sued for the pain and something along the lines that it hindered her marital relations with her husband.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Once I tripped over something and I got:
    • A broken toe
    • A bone-deep cut on my knee
    • And a bruised elbow.
    I had to walk funny (and hardly) for a week or so.
    Granted, the thing I tripped on was a metal grid, but still... :p