Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Next England Boss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Surprised that this hasnt appeared yet

Who would you like as the next England boss?

Personally i would like Big Sam or a combined partenership of Stuart Pearce and Paul Jewell. Experience isnt vital look at klinsman or van basten. These didnt have experience before taking up there job at the Germany and Holland. What is vital though is the manager needs to be English
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was going to start a thread like this but to tell you the truth I'm unsure as to who I want to replace Sven. Sure Svens done some stupid things and a lot gets written about his personal life etc. which may/may not affect the team but IMO he's the best manager England have had since I can remember and from a personal point of view if we don't win the World Cup I would like him to carry on for at least one more tournament.

That said he is leaving so he needs replacing. I would like an English manager but I don't think theres anyone up for the job to be honest. Pearce has laughed at being linked with the job and quite rightly so, he has a total of 1yr manager experience, I think he's one for the future.
    I think Allardyce & Mclaren are the top English candidates but am still unsure if they have what it takes but if they get appointed only time will tell. I wouldn't cause an uproar if we hired another foreign manager because as Sven has proved he's done a better job then most of the English bosses.

So to wrap it up I really don't know :)
    Martin O'Neill :chin: :p
    An englishman who has won a major competition as a manager? (does such a person exist?)
    I think Allardyce would be a bad choice for entertainment value because Bolton are often very dour, though effective if that is all you want.

Pearce is too inexperienced.

McLaren isn't good enough.

I would go for Curbishley, very effective and experienced, loyal but ambitious and Charlton play some decent football. Worht a shot I reckon and certainly preferable to some mercenary like Hiddink......
    Put is this way, if we don't think that they would be good enough to manage Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Manchester United then they simply are not good enough for England.

There isn't a single English manager who, IMHO, fits that criteria.

We really need to look at Capello, Hiddink, Hitzfeld for example if we are to be the best...
    Out of interest, does the tax payer pay for the £5m a year Sven gets?
    Put is this way, if we don't think that they would be good enough to manage Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Manchester United then they simply are not good enough for England.

We really need to look at Capello, Hiddink, Hitzfeld for example if we are to be the best...
    The Imperial Lord Ferg could well be free of commitments after May...
    Mark Hughes had no experience before managing Wales and did an ok job.... experience doesnt mean they will be good. Personally i think Englands national team should have an English manager.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I think Allardyce would be a bad choice for entertainment value because Bolton are often very dour, though effective if that is all you want.

Pearce is too inexperienced.

McLaren isn't good enough.

I would go for Curbishley, very effective and experienced, loyal but ambitious and Charlton play some decent football. Worht a shot I reckon and certainly preferable to some mercenary like Hiddink......
    Well it's hard to make a team play quality football with £1m a year to spend on players and a team with about ten different nationalities on the pitch at the same time. He wouldn't make England play like Bolton. At the end of the day, Sam Allardyce has achieved the most of all the English managers, and so should be given a shot. Stuart Pearce shouldn't be given the job, cos he's Man City's manager, and they're more important than England. :thumb:

Well Mclaren p[robably will be Man Utd manager........ :p
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well Mclaren p[robably will be Man Utd manager........ :p

God no. :no:

I think England need to look foreign as well. What is this obsession with having an English manager? Sven was great, his record is second to none.

Capello, Scolari or Hiddink would be my choices. Probably Scolari if I had to choose.
    carrot12 wrote:
    An englishman who has won a major competition as a manager? (does such a person exist?)

Yeah. He's called Howard Wilkinson.

D'oh.

If Allardyce becomes manager I'm supporting Germany. It'd be a trip back to the dark days of Taylor with that hoof-ball merchant.

Jewell would be a good candidate- his teams play good football, he knows how to motivate, and he knows how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Fuck knows how he kept us in the Premiershit. Same applies to Curbishley.

Pearce would be good too, but I don't think he'd want it. Not yet.

McLaren's achieved more than Allardyce, but I don't know if I'd want him. A continuation of Sven, which has its advantages, and he's an excellent coach. The reason why ManYoo have gone downhill is because he left.

Not Hiddink.

Nailing my colours to the mast, then I wouldn't look past Jagger. But then I am biased, because Sir Paul of Jewell is a God round these parts.
    Kermit wrote:
    D'oh.

I'd forgotten he'd won the Premiership with Leeds! (in my defence I didn't really watch footy back then). What's he been doing since he left Sunderland? Some kind of role with the FA?
    Kermit wrote:

D'oh.

If Allardyce becomes manager I'm supporting Germany. It'd be a trip back to the dark days of Taylor with that hoof-ball merchant.

Wilkinson - I just hope he stays tucked away in his cushy little FA job and never gets the chance to bore us with his dour brand of football again.

Whenever I think of the possibility of Allardyce becoming England manager, I just get visions of the Mike Bassett movie :lol: He just comes across as that kind of character!!!

Guus Hiddink is the man with the record of getting results with teams - but he has never done it on the scale of England.

Not really sure, but feel Jewell, Allardyce, Curbishley or Pearce don't have the experience to take the England team that step further and actually win things, and they seem to be the only English success stories at the moment.

Just keep your fingers crossed it's not Sourness!!!!!!!!
    manickev wrote:
    Whenever I think of the possibility of Allardyce becoming England manager, I just get visions of the Mike Bassett movie :lol: He just comes across as that kind of character!!!

He is.

One of the happiest days of my football-watching career is when we made him cry as manager of Blackpool way back in 1996. Hilarious fun.
    Guus Hiddink is the man with the record of getting results with teams - but he has never done it on the scale of England.

Souith Korea were jammy.

Hiddink's not a bad manager, but he's no better than what we have in England.
    Not really sure, but feel Jewell, Allardyce, Curbishley or Pearce don't have the experience to take the England team that step further and actually win things, and they seem to be the only English success stories at the moment.

Klinsmann doesn't either, really, and I really quite fancy the Germans this time. And Pearce in particular has the playing experience, certainly.
    Just keep your fingers crossed it's not Sourness!!!!!!!!

Nah, it won't be a Jock. Not even the FA would be that retarded.
    Trevor Brooking.
    Kermit wrote:
    Pearce would be good too, but I don't think he'd want it. Not yet.

I'm sure I read somewhere on the internet that Pearce said that he wouldn't want the England job for the next ten years or so? And ven though he's done a good job (so far, imo) with City, I really don't think he's experienced enough.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Trevor Brooking.

I really hope not. He seems a nice guy, and was a fair player in his time, but just don't think he's got what it takes.

His only managerial experience was a forlorn effort trying to stop West Ham getting relegated a couple of seasons back.

I think, following Sven, the next manager has to be somebody who can handle the press extremely well, in addition to being able to improve the good work Sven has done on the pitch. You can't really fault the team, where Sven has let himself down is off the pitch. We definitely don't need a manager who will be harangued immediately by the press, or not be able to deal with the media's sometimes unbearable scrutiny.
    manickev wrote:
    We definitely don't need a manager who will be harangued immediately by the press, or not be able to deal with the media's sometimes unbearable scrutiny.

All England managers will be harangued by the press.

The reason why the press vilified Sven was because he could bear the media, and played them at their own game.

The only person not harangued by the press was venables. And if that thieving Mockney villain gets anywhere near the job, I'm gonna support the faroe islands, as they'll be more successful.
    Kermit wrote:
    And if that thieving Mockney villain gets anywhere near the job, I'm gonna support the faroe islands, as they'll be more successful.

:lol:

(You are joking, right?!)
    Kermit wrote:
    The only person not harangued by the press was venables. And if that thieving Mockney villain gets anywhere near the job, I'm gonna support the faroe islands, as they'll be more successful.

I always thought El Tel was OK. I was sorry to see him go when he left after Euro 96, because we seemed to have a team that could go places.
    Gus Hiddink please. South Korea apart he guided Holland to the World Cup Semi's in '98, Australia to the finals this time around whilst managing PSV to the top of the Dutch league and the knockout round of the Champions League (AT THE SAME TIME!).

Plus if he speaks anything like Martin Jol, whats not to like about him?
    manickev wrote:
    I always thought El Tel was OK. I was sorry to see him go when he left after Euro 96, because we seemed to have a team that could go places.

If you actually look at his competitive record, we were largely shite. The Holland demolition aside, of course, although even then Holland weren't exactly a huge scalp at the time, what with the horrendous in-fighting. The Scotland win was horrendously lucky, what with the McAllister penalty and one bit of fantastic skill from Gascoigne.

An abysmal draw against Switzerland, and a draw against Spain where we should have lost by two or three. And all at home.

Hoddle did as much as Venables would have done I reckon- we won a group with Italy in it, which was some achievement.

Venables showed his true class at Leeds.
    England needs a manager who has the experience of taking a team to a World Cup Final and winning it.

A man not afraid of new ideas and a willingness to work with people.

Someone whose present club will not stand in his way if he wants to take up the position.

Step forward Sir Clive Woodward. :thumb:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    BlackArab wrote:
    Step forward Sir Clive Woodward. :thumb:

You got to be joking.
    Weekender Offender