Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

credit cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a credit card but kind of went a bit mad on it and now paying the price. I want to switch card and transfer my old balance onto a new one that offers free balance transfers for a certain period of time. Does anyone have any suggestions'? Just so you know I am 19 and earn about £9,500 a year. (just mentioning that becuase with a mint card you have to earn over £10K).

Comments

• Options
    You could try egg.
  • Options
    i work at egg. if you apply now we are doing 0% apr until 01/10/06.
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    i work at egg. if you apply now we are doing 0% apr until 01/10/06.
    Look at that, straight in there with a plug. D'you get commission if he gets one now? :D
  • Options
    i wish! they have to apply online though if you want one. im at work now.........
  • Options
    Have a shop around, apply for one. If you get declined, don't make the mistake of going and applying for six more.

try capital One or MBNA for a 0% deal. They'll give cards out to anyone. If you don't have a credit card through your bank, try them too.

I'd also suggest going and talking to your bank about a possible loan.
  • Options
    I'd also suggest going and talking to your bank about a possible loan.

An interesting point about credit cards is that they don't lend you money.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    An interesting point about credit cards is that they don't lend you money.
    What do you mean? You buy stuff and pay for it later with interest (unless you pay it off straight away). Sounds like money lending to me.
  • Options
    No money is lent it's all imaginary.
  • Options
    Egg is a good one and I managed to get one when I was a student, I also got one from Virgin too. I've got a halifax one at the moment which is 0% for 10months.
  • Options
    What do you mean? You buy stuff and pay for it later with interest (unless you pay it off straight away). Sounds like money lending to me.

Because the banks word is treated as good as money by most people, they just write down that they have the money when they really don't. As money is just paper with a promise written on it, they can make more of it at will. And they do. You promise to pay them, they promise to pay the central bank, the central bank promises to pay the retailer or whoever.

Since the 30's that promise has been unredeemable, so the whole thing is fraud. No one gives a shit though, so don't worry about it.

Same with mortgages. The bank takes your title deeds and hypothecates the money (that is creates it from nothing) adds it on to it's total debt and keeps the fraction of the total that it really needs for day to day use.
  • Options
    So what you're basically saying, is that if we all got a bit bored, and one day decided to empty our bank accounts, we could financially cripple the country.

Ace.
  • Options
    Oh no, it's much better than that.

The way the robbing cunts have it structured, if only about 10% of us went and asked for all our cash on the same day, the whole thing would go tits up.

This is the reason that you will see haefty penalties or even attempted refusals if you try to take out large amounts of cash from a small local branch.

They purely and simply do not have the money they say they have. And they still make "loans". It's pretty obvious if you think about it, we are a trillion or so in debt and if that was actually printed and lying around the place, we'd all be knee deep in moolah. Every flat surface would be covered in it.
  • Options
    So what you're basically saying, is that if we all got a bit bored, and one day decided to empty our bank accounts, we could financially cripple the country.

Ace.

Good lord, *everyone* knows this. It's plainly obvious that there's not really actual gold to cover the printed money. However, since we don't all walk around with pockets of gold, and, if you tried to pay someone for their services in a quantity of solid gold nuggets they'd probably look at you like you were on another planet, I think that we can safely say that the money that the banks print does have a value, because every normal person says it does.

Please don't encourage klintock's inane ramblings.
  • Options
    Good lord, *everyone* knows this. It's plainly obvious that there's not really actual gold to cover the printed money. However, since we don't all walk around with pockets of gold, and, if you tried to pay someone for their services in a quantity of solid gold nuggets they'd probably look at you like you were on another planet, I think that we can safely say that the money that the banks print does have a value, because every normal person says it does.

What ARE you talking about?

Printed money doesn't entitle you to gold. It doesn't entitle you to anything except a promise for another promise and hasn't for 60 or so years. It has a perceived value, mainly created through your ability to stop being terrorised through the government by giving it to them.

I am not talking about printed money either. I am talking about the bank just writing "we have £300,000" on a computer screen and then acting as if it's true. When they do this, is any money "lent" to you?

If you still think that "money" is a promise to get you anything e-mail the bank of england -

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/history/index.htm

Lists how they did the fraud in the past and how they do it today.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/contact.htm
  • Options
    I have tried to apply for an egg card twice online and everytime I do it says it can't process my application at the time.
  • Options
    Try phoning them. My sister had a similar problem, and phoned egg, and they gave her 0% until November, similar to the offer further up this thread.
  • Options
    I have applied for a virgin card.
  • Options
    Nice one. Before you get to the end of your 0% period, it would be wise to start shopping around for another and transferring again. Most companies will now let you do this.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    Nice one. Before you get to the end of your 0% period, it would be wise to start shopping around for another and transferring again. Most companies will now let you do this.
    Actually, the credit card companies are clamping down on the rate tarts and applying charges for balance transfers.

The best advice is to cut up your credit cards and not spend beyond your means in the first place.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The best advice is to cut up your credit cards and not spend beyond your means in the first place.

I'd definitely agree with that - was just advising on what to do if you already have a balance.
  • Options
    Cut up your cards but don't close your accounts: if you have say, 4 credit cards with a total allowance of 1000, but only use 250, your credit rating is better than if you closed two of those accounts and had a total allowance of 500 and still use 250.
  • Options
    I have done this with an overdraft,and am getting charged interested every month because its not an agreed overdraft! would it be worth me putting that on a card!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you spoken to your bank about arranging an agreed overdraft? As a student it is probably better to get an agreed overdraft then to start using a credit card.