Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Media coverage of the whale.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Saw this and thought some of you guys might like it.

It did however make me wonder if the media does go too far. What do you think?

Was the story genuinely newsworthy, or was it just another trivial story that belonged at the end of the ten o'clock news bulletin?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I like that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    manickev wrote:
    Saw this and thought some of you guys might like it.

It did however make me wonder if the media does go too far. What do you think?

Was the story genuinely newsworthy, or was it just another trivial story that belonged at the end of the ten o'clock news bulletin?

that's quite funny.

I reckon that it was a trivial story that belonged at the end of news. "Whale swims somewhere". oOOO that's news. But, just like that horse that died a while back, millions of people seem to be obsessed for some reason.
    ROFL, thats hilarious.
    :D:D
    :hyper: Nice! :thumb: :D
    Though i don't take kindly to people trivialising Dianas funeral.

And of course it wasn't newsworthy. News 24 went into 24 / 7 whale watch, the gutterpress had double page spreads about it.

"Whale spotted in water!"

I'm glad it's dead.
    Whale says "I didn't do it on porpoise" :lol:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    im doing a presentation on the whale...wish i cud use that article tho! cant see it going down all that well!
    I'm glad it's dead.

:(

That was hilarious though, "Early reports indicate that it may have been looking for a mate, and spotted John Prescott from about 3 miles away" - HAHA.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    "Whale spotted in water!"

I'm glad it's dead.
    thats a bit harsh. whats the whale ever done to you? he was just having a bit of a swim and got lost.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    "Homeless people wonder why a whale gets more attention than they do"
    To be fair, a whale swimming around London isn't something that happens everyday....
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    thats a bit harsh. whats the whale ever done to you? he was just having a bit of a swim and got lost.
    haha, tell that to zoologist and occasional wildlife commentator Dr. Paul Jepson
    That was good. I was ready for another lame story on the whale. Funny to hear, boring to cover. Just like the writer for the ebay beans, the whale people need to get a new job.
    Far from the highlight of any news/writers career. Its time to quite.
    i would of prefered the title "whale had a whale of a time"

LoL
    I don't think this is entirely fair. As Renzo pointed out, a whale swimming into London is not a regular occurence - indeed, this hasn't happened since 1913. One also has to bear in mind that this was the story people were talking about. Can you seriously imagine going down to the pub on a Saturday afternoon and having a conversation about the difficulties in Iraq?
    Yes. And it just goes to prove how people seem to be obsessed with all the wrong things.
    Yes. And it just goes to prove how people seem to be obsessed with all the wrong things.
    What would you say that people should be "obsessed" with, to put it like that? :)
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What would you say that people should be "obsessed" with, to put it like that? :)

Nothing. Not whales, not beans, not celebrities or any of that. You can be interested, but reporting on it for a week straight, and the sad people with nothing better to do than sit and watch it is just going overboard.
    Well, not whales, for a start. :thumb:

If people showed half the passion or just even payed half the attention for important stuff, as they did some whale that got lost, then i'm sure we could all make some sort of difference in helping to improve the world.

Basically, i'm saying peoples time shouldn't be occupied by whales, just like it shouldn't be fashion magazines, celebrities or reality TV, because when it comes down to it, we can all do something much more constructive and rewarding.

So yeah, i'm glad it's dead.
    That's just like the movie "Wag the Dog", which is brilliant.

Here it is for you who haven't already seen it.
    There's a huge difference between thinking it got too much blanket media coverage, and being glad it's dead. I think that's a strange and cruel thing to say.
    Well, not whales, for a start. :thumb:
    If people showed half the passion or just even payed half the attention for important stuff, as they did some whale that got lost, then i'm sure we could all make some sort of difference in helping to improve the world.

Basically, i'm saying peoples time shouldn't be occupied by whales, just like it shouldn't be fashion magazines, celebrities or reality TV, because when it comes down to it, we can all do something much more constructive and rewarding.

So yeah, i'm glad it's dead.
    That's not a very nice thing to wish on anyone. The only time I'm ever glad of someone's death is if that person was a mass murderer - Harold Shipman for instance. That whale didn't do anyone the sort of harm he did.

But yes, we are too pre-occupied with some trivial things. But when people feel so alienated in the political process, can we really blame them?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That's not a very nice thing to wish on anyone. The only time I'm ever glad of someone's death is if that person was a mass murderer -
    It's not an anyone or a someone it's a whale!!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm glad it's dead.

What a completely bone thing to say.
    Weekender Offender 
    I kind of agree with photo, I'm not glad its dead but it was awfully retarded. Darwins law.
    Thats quality
    That's hilarious :D
    'The BBC is not responsible for fucking up whale rescues'

So does this not count as news then? Ok, the 24 hour coverage was ridiculous but it's 17 metre long whale in the Thames! That doesn't happen everyday. Should it be ignored because it hasn't happened abroad and it doesn't involve politics?

(I know what I mean,but I'm too lazy to find links or whatever)
    Though i don't take kindly to people trivialising Dianas funeral.

Thank God I managed to sleep in on that day.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    HAHAHA!

I loved the bit "Kind of like Diana's Funeral."

Totally ace.
    00001428.jpg