Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying a vehicle you haven't seen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it completely stupid? Ive been offered an excellent condition suzuki gs500 (the bike I was after) for £500 - the reason its so cheap is its 1990, and was a bit crap but the guy has redone everything as a project and is now selling it on to get a new project. But as with most enthusiasts, hes in theory, left no stone unturned. The guy is quite reputable, so Im not worried about being conned as such.

However, one thing that does concern me slightly is that hes in accrington which is about 3 hours drive away! Just to see a bike is probably not worht it, so I might just buy it, get a good bike firm I know to pick it up and deliver (55p per mile + £25, not too expensive; some charge £1 - £2 per mile!) and then for around £600 I can have the bike delivered to my doorstep.

Or is it not worth it / too risky?

Your thoughts.

Rich

Comments

• Options
    Think it depends how much you want it. I've no idea of the value, so no clue as to if it's a bargain or not. Has the seller got full sertvice history/details of the work he has done????

Just bear in mind- If something is too good to be true, it usually is ;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's not so bad with bikes, but with a car I would say it's a definate no.

It's a gamble. Go for your life.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You'd rather pay an extra £100 for a bike that you haven't seen or tried but are unwilling to travel (3hours) to see it. How much would you spend on fuel to get there and back. I bet you it ain't gonna be £100 AND if the bike is dodgy then you haven't forked out another £500 on something that you potentially couldn't sell.

I would personally go visit and see if it is exactly what I'm after.
  • Options
    Thing is about the bike, I cant legally ride it yet :p but will be able to do so soon. However, in the summer, as with supply and demand, Id expect to see the bike get snapped up easily. Now is the best time of year to buy, which is why I am buying now. My local dealer is selling one of the same year which hasn't recently been renovated and has a higher mileage for £750.
  • Options
    You would have no comeback on the seller if things did not work, unless it is specifically advertised as being in a certain condition. Even then you'd have trouble, as a general rule motor vehicles are bought as seen.

I think it would be a mistake to not go and check the bike before buying. Hire a trailer, and go down with a cheque. If you don't like the bike, don't hand over the cheque.