Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Windows Live group

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i know there was a recent thread about Windows Live Messenger but i thought i'd make a thread for the group of services. The reason i brought it up in the first place is i just received a mail beta invite and was about to sign upto it when i thought, hey what if i dislike it, how do i go back to the normal old hotmail, so i'm asking that question onto of opening a discussing about this new group of services from Microsoft.

What beta invites have you tested out or are using currently? What do you think of it/them? Can you see them becoming popular amongst the masses in general ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can opt out of Live Mail if you don't like it, there's an option in one of the menu's i believe. I quite like it, bit of a step up from Hotmail.

I'm on Messenger too, plus a few other Microsoft Betas. Free stuff, nice.
    Ah thanks for that. I'll opt in for the mail invite then, i fancy givingit a try, it was just that one thing that at the last minute i thought about and didnt want to get stuck with it.
    Yep just checked again, if you want to opt out click the Options link and the 'Beta opt-out' link.
    Opted in, started using it right away. I have to say i hate the way you muliple delete messages, it was so so much easier to click the box above the mail and it selected them all at once, rather than this pissy slow difficult way of clicking each mail seperately whilst holding down Ctrl. Although i did find a shortcut with pressing the " Delete " key.
    Click top message, hold shift, click bottom message, hit delete, or drag to bin (or even right click and select delete).
    I was on messenger live but i had to come off it because it uses too much ram for me so, but funny enough ive brought more ram (not for windows live) I just needed it because i run alot of programs im also on Mail Live aswell, looks very much like Outlook...

I liked the multi delete option... :impissed:

By the way what Live options do you have? & What are they like?
    Thanks for that Rich-E. Totally forgot about the hold shift and drag option.

CoolMe, i had messenger live installed but went back to 7.5, id have ran them together but at the time didnt know however now i do and am working towards having them both installed at the same time. Now i'm also using mail.

I like the look of Windows Live Mail but i tink it's too condensed into the screen, i liked it before without the preview pane ( i havent yet read if i can get rid of that though i am assuming it is part of the mail so wont be able to do what i want )

Live messenger was really quite good.
    I've got all the usual live options, whatever's at http://ideas.live.com really. Nothing special tbh.

I too went back to Messenger 7.5, they're doing ok with Live Messenger, but i'm still not a fan of it enough to move over just yet.
    How does one go about getting an invite? Or do you just have to wait?
    How does one go about getting an invite? Or do you just have to wait?

I got my live email invite from microsoft themseves but got the invite for live messenger from someone on here. I have 5 invites for messenger if you want one? Currently none for email though.
    You can try this link for the mail invite - http://www3.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us

As for Messenger, I've got about 10 invites or so left.
    Having sat and used the Windows Live Mail for only 1 day now, i have to say i hate it. I hate the preview pane, i hate it's layout. I hate what i see is the centered " smallness " of the whole thing. Obviously it is a beta and so isnt a final version but i cannot get used to this, were it a final version it might just be enough to force of to stop using hotmail. I find it difficult to navigate, multiple deletion should always be done via tick boxes not ANY other way. White is ok but it is just so plain, we have colours in the world so use them, even just a light colour instead of this bland white with black border. It's dismal tbh. Hell every time i open it i want to read and/or delete email as quick as humanly possible and close it. It is not a joy to use.

Am i the only one using the mail beta who thinks this ?
    I agree with you, ive sent in feedback about the style and how small it is, i like the fact that its abit more clear and there are no adverts at this time, but like you said this is not the final version.

If they do not make it bigger in the final version ill just use a email client to recieve my emails. :sour:
    I don't fancy the orange in the new messenger though.
    You can change it to many many colours...
    CoolMe wrote:
    You can change it to many many colours...

You can? How?
    Theres a little paint bucket at the top left hand in the Orange section
    CoolMe wrote:
    Theres a little paint bucket at the top left hand in the Orange section

I would never have noticed that on my own.

Thanks!
    Also, you may already know this but you know the Tabs? That stick out?

You can remove them by going to options and looking for a option and tick the box that says this is a shared Pc..
    CoolMe wrote:
    Also, you may already know this but you know the Tabs? That stick out?

You can remove them by going to options and looking for a option and tick the box that says this is a shared Pc..

Done, thanks again.
    Any other questions? Im on fire tonight!! :lol:
    CoolMe wrote:
    Any other questions? Im on fire tonight!! :lol:

No.

[/boring post]
    Microsoft just sent me MORE invitations for the whole Windows Live Messenger try out, so i've got 20 to give away. Well i'm not going to use them, so if anyone wants one, PM me or post here.
    I think i've still gone my 5 [lol] for windows live messenger.

I gave up with the email though, i just couldnt take it. It's so so horribly crap, it is horrific, and if they stay with it as it is i will not use it again. If they listen to people, and change it to what it used to be like, maybe it wont be so bad.
    Yeah I can understand that, not to everyones tastes! I rarely use it to be honest, I can still (somehow) run my hotmail account through Microsoft Outlook, so I deal with everything through there thank god.