Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thinking of chucking it all in and going abroad!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I am seriously thinking of chucking everything I have here (which isn't much) and going abroad.

this is my 2nd attempt to post this, first time I had neraly finished then AOL fucked up and I lost the whole thing so forgive me if the tone of this message is a little sharp!

I graduated uni last year with a 2:1 and am finding it really hard to find a job. All the grad schemes are geared towards subjects I didnt take an djobs I dont wann do. The one that was rejected me and looking for jobs in other places, they all want impossible amounts of expierence. The job I did this week was 3 days envelope stuffing. 17 years of education for that.

I have friends but they are few and live not near me so I don't see them loads and go out when they do, which is unpredictable and not that often. I am chronically single and can't seem to find any decent girls. Pulling in clubs is mystery to me and while I have been with girls I always end up with some1 who is crazy, using nme, inappropriate and who hurts me. I could always go to a new part of the UK but whats the point when I am already in one of the biggest and most vibrant places in the uk.

I am thinking of just going abroad. A psychic/tarot reader said it would be great for me. But then again I probably just wasted my money there.

I would love to work with wild animal sin africa or south america or something liek that but everything I looked for said you had to pay them £2000 a eek for the privilage so thats out. I was thinking of asia, but then its a dnagerous place and not sure if I'd like it. My matesays he is gonna travel to australia, I was born there great but with people there I dont wanna see and not sure if he ever would travel and even if he did if he'd wnat me to go, puts a dampner on that.

I'd love to see more of the USA. I went to LA in 92 and would love to see more of the USA. I have been talking with a girl in St Louis recently and even tho she is with some she really likes me an dis into me soI am tmepted to go there and see what happens with her. But then when I made enquires before I was told its really hard for people in the uk to go to america and get visas and stuff for any length of time. I am australian by borth so could go in green card lottery (however you do that) but I doubt I'd get it.

Has anyone else just cut loose and gone abroad? where di you go? how do you do it? where do you go? Would this be good for me or would I be best sticking it out in the UK???
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    Going abroad is not going to mysically make all your problems go away, no matter what some psychic says about it.

Fair enough, if you want to go abroad to sample another country, then do so, but it won't be any easier than living over here. You won't suddenly find a fantastic girl, or walk in to your dream job, just because you are living somewhere else.

If you're not finding a job that matches your skill set, then you're probably aiming too high. Employers generally want experience for a reason, and you might have to work your way up like other people.

Moving away isn't going to get you a free ride.
  • Options
    Its reeeeally tempting to think that if you get out of this country and go to another one everything will be different and all your problems will go away. I think it all the time.

I kind of did it too, in Summer 2004, but not really as drastic. I'd just split up with my boyfriend of 3 years and was finding life really crap so I got myself a job as a childrens rep and went to live abroad for 7 months and it was the best decision of my life! It didn't make all my problems go away but it helped loads. But they don't go away completely!

Thats really different though because I came back, I didn't go away forever. Maybe you could consider something like that, going working abroad see how you like it and then see how things are when you come back? The working with wild animals things sounds good, I know you have to pay for placements like that but I'm sure its not that expensive, £2000 a week. Check out Gapyear.com they have loads of things you can do with animals, on most of them it seems like you pay a fee to go and then you can earn a small wage but it definitely sounds like something to consider!

I say...dont be drastic and think about moving to another country altogether because things won't automatically be different. I know that because I tell it to myself every day.
  • Options
    The British Pound is one of the highest rated currencies in the world ..

If you have saving then take your money and go live in Asia for a while, in countries like India, Tailand, etc your pound will go very far.

Most travellers I've met from Europe all come to the UK to work.

They work and save for 6 months and travel for 6 months in Asia.

I think they have a very well balanced life.

I think having a break from the UK is a good idea.

I don't find on a day to day basis the UK is a great country to live in, certainly not in London. You basically leave the house, spend hours in traffic, go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch TV, etc

When I lived in Africa you did the same thing but like no traffic and afte work you could simply go out to eat quite cheaply, get an ice cream, etc Same in Canada too.

If you have savings then go abroad for 4 to 8 weeks, if not then go to a temping agency and get some money behind you.

In places like India you could live quite happily for less then £5 a day including a room to stay in. And if you go somewhere like Goa, at least 85% of the people there will speak English and you'll be right by the sea.

BTW before posting bit stuff do what I do.. highlight the text and copy it into the PC's memory, that way if it fails you haven't lost it.
  • Options
    thanks.

I just get so down and I wonder what life is like somwhere else you know? I mean people in different countries aren't aliens but they are different to peopl ehere if you get what I mean? Maybe they owuld appreciate more things about me then some people do here?

I do have money saved up. What worries me though is using all that money to go aborad forawhile, coming back, having no money and have nothing really change apart from having a time abroad.

I can be rational and I can be unpredictable but right now my indecisiveness is ruling me at the moment.

I'd be happy to learn on the job but when you can't even get basic admin work unless you ahve had 5 to 2 years experience and all other jobs wnat these specific things you don't have its hard.

I know I couldn' do the holiday rep thing, those mad crazy people in Ibiza and that. I mean its fun and I aint knocking but I just couldnt do that. Then I wonder where I'd travel to. Asia is cheap but risky.

Alot of the organised work aborad/travel abraod schemes are for students to and I am now not one.

I'll look into it more I guess.
  • Options
    i know where you're coming from walkindude, i've thought about just packing it in and trying life abroad somewhere, it still crosses my mind regularly.......but i've always wanted to travel anyways out of curiousity, widen my horizons a bit, i said to myself i'll be sensible and do the uni thing first to give me a headstart in life, then i realised i didn't fancy moving home afterwards, and before you know it you're stuck in the 9-5 grind with everyone else.......im still definitely going, just need to save up some money and hopefully not get too settled here in the meantime......

i've looked into it quite a bit and there are lots of work/travel schemes, not just for students.........the one i'm quite keen on trying is called WWOOF, you basically pay a membership fee then get info on farms around the world that you can go and work on for food and board, then you get to explore the place with the rest of your time, have a look on the site it's free to browse around and get a feel for different places......almost perfect for me because ive always wanted to learn to be a bit more self-sufficient, i was thinking of starting somewhere not too far from home like spain in case it doesn't work out i'm not stranded halfway across the globe.......anyways i digress, my point is you don't know until you try it, if you havent got much keeping you here then it's probably the best time to do it, it's not an easy thing to do especially on your own, but your only young once as they say.......good luck to you if you do decide to go mate.
  • Options
    Asia, as with every other country is dangerous. I mean, just walking through london and you could get mugged/run-over etc. But you can't predict these things. Don't avoid a place you really wanna go to cos ur scared of the negative possibilities cos then its you that's missing out on an opportunity many ppl would love to have. :yes: (besides its cheaper then the US lol)

There's always the dilema when it comes to travelling. Spend all your money doing a once in a lifetime thing, come back and be depressed and broke with the same lack of experience that you had before you went, or come back broke but with a better idea of what you wanna do and working from scratch. :eek2: catch 22, but if you've got the money then go for it.

Life's a bitch, it's upto how you play it.

:shocking: i dunno if i made sense i'm going now
  • Options
    yup thats the dilemma.

I get you. I just don't know what I am gonna do yet lol.
  • Options
    What do you want to do, jobwise? It's not an easy question, but try and point yourself in the right direction.

If you have any kind of office experience, then there should be plenty of temping opportunities near you. If not in Leeds, then there'll be some in Bradford (and probably Halifax/Huddersfield, too), which are all commutable for not much money.

Going abroad means you have no safety net. I'd at least get some experience (and money) here first.
  • Options
    its just like all those career magazines, its all those questions but no substance..

I'm not exatcly sure what I want tot do. I know I dont wanna working the retail indusrt or engineering or any of the trades like builidng and stuff. I wanna work where I can use my brain a bit, write, read. Nothing thats too maths based, nothing selling.

Office stuff I can do, ideas I can do, intelligence I could do. Publishing an dmedia seem inetersting to me but are impossible to. You have to do behyond hours of unpaid work and its no guarentee of anything.

I'd rather stick to leeds if I can. I think you underesitimate the cost of comuuting. Buses are bad enough in leeds without going beyoond it and train fares go up increasingly, plus I dont know bradford or those cities. I'd rather to stick to Leeds and if I was going to go elsewhere it would be somewhere I might wanna go like london or newcastle or somewhere really different like abroad.

I am on with temp agancies but last job I said wa senvelope stuffing. Hardly great office experience.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Maybe you could consider something like that, going working abroad see how you like it and then see how things are when you come back?

:yes:

I think the idea of travelling and/or spending a set amount of time working abroad is a better idea than just jacking it all in and heading off with no prior experience of the places you're considering. Maybe you could save up and do some travelling, which would not only give you an opportunity to scope places out in terms of a future move but would also just broaden your horizons - give you new experiences, the chance to meet new and like-minded people, and just a break from things that are getting you down at home. It's usually not the best idea to just try and escape all-together, but time away might give you necessary perspective...you might even realise it isn't as bad as you think here!

That said, I'm not trying to discourage you if it's what you really want to do. Once I've graduated and have the experience necessary to get the kind of job I want, I've already decided I'm out of here. However, I've spent a fair amount of time living in my chosen country (Germany, for what it's worth) and have been consistently improving my language skills ever since. If you have an Australian Passport (or are eligible for one, which you are by the sounds of it!) why not go over there for a while? You could work (either doing casual work like other travellers, or in a professional capacity) and blow off the cobwebs, and the culture shock wouldn't be as massive as if you went to a non-English speaking country. Otherwise, you could do some form of Charity/Volunteer work in Europe or beyond...long-term or short-term. There are so many options open to you! :)
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    its just like all those career magazines, its all those questions but no substance..

I'm not exatcly sure what I want tot do. I know I dont wanna working the retail indusrt or engineering or any of the trades like builidng and stuff. I wanna work where I can use my brain a bit, write, read. Nothing thats too maths based, nothing selling.

Office stuff I can do, ideas I can do, intelligence I could do. Publishing an dmedia seem inetersting to me but are impossible to. You have to do behyond hours of unpaid work and its no guarentee of anything.

I'd rather stick to leeds if I can. I think you underesitimate the cost of comuuting. Buses are bad enough in leeds without going beyoond it and train fares go up increasingly, plus I dont know bradford or those cities. I'd rather to stick to Leeds and if I was going to go elsewhere it would be somewhere I might wanna go like london or newcastle or somewhere really different like abroad.

No I don't, I commute to Leeds and a zones 1-3 metrocard is £63 a month.
    £85ish for the whole of West Yorkshire.

There's enough office jobs around here, which are good experience doing something, if not what you want to ultimately end up in. It's worth doing even if just to save up and bugger off to live/work elsewhere.

What's your degree in?
  • Options
    Political Studies. A very broad amount of what I am able to but inr eality a lot more difficult.

I find those prices quite a lot actually. And I have applied to loads of jobs, I can't make them give me a job.

I am signed up with Select and another one in twon I forgot the name of, plus a whole bunch of online ones.

Australia, I could walk intoa Government job as my aunt is an MP over there but that means I'd have to talk and see people I really don't want to so thats out.

Yeah, travelling does seem good. But even those gapyear projects are very expensive. I have yet to find one thats not costing the earth.
  • Options
    Our sister site, do-it, has a whole section on volunteering overseas that might give you some guidance:

Volunteering overseas

:)
  • Options
    thanks.

any info on working in america for non students would be gratefully recieved, especially in the califronia,florida, St Louis area.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Political Studies. A very broad amount of what I am able to but inr eality a lot more difficult.

I find those prices quite a lot actually. And I have applied to loads of jobs, I can't make them give me a job.

I am signed up with Select and another one in twon I forgot the name of, plus a whole bunch of online ones.

For the area it covers, it's really bugger all...it covers all of W.Yorks on the bus, too.

Are you pestering the temping agencies?
    I know there're a few up Park Row, and Office Angels on the Headrow.
  • Options
    it doesn twork that way. Old days people did see them everday or walk in places and get jobs easy but not now. I did that after I joined and I got a right look off the girl there at reception.

the one thats handling me there is ok, she rings me if sh ehas anything so I know I am sorted on one agency.

the other is pretty useless. I gues I will sign on to a few more soon. I am still applying for jobs in meantime.

gotta go to the dentist on friday, no longer on jsa is gonna cost a bomb, that sucks.

I have sent off for some work abroad broucres so I should get a couple soonish.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    it doesn twork that way. Old days people did see them everday or walk in places and get jobs easy but not now. I did that after I joined and I got a right look off the girl there at reception.

the one thats handling me there is ok, she rings me if sh ehas anything so I know I am sorted on one agency.

the other is pretty useless. I gues I will sign on to a few more soon. I am still applying for jobs in meantime.

Before I had much experience, I rang them in the morning every day until they did something useful for me. It wasn't that long ago.
    You can't rely on them to ring you, because there're so many people registered with them...you need to make yourself noticed (and giving you work shuts you up!). It really works.

It's less of an issue when you've decent experience, and a good reputation with that agency.
  • Options
    I guess so. Might try with other agencies, send a few emails an dstuff.

recieved a work abreoad broucheure today. Seemd ok, still expensive mind.

Is it better to do these things with companies or strike out on your own?
  • Options
    i think with agencies you need to be really pro-active, especially at this time of year when i would think business is slow and companies might not be looking for anyone.
    whenever i look for a job in the summer i print off a load of CVs and go to at least 5 different agencies in person. i would never just send them an e-mail because it doesn't really show that you are making an effort. Also, they will request for you to go into the agency anyway for an interview and to sign up so you might as well just go in. Then every couple of days I would call up and ask them if theres anything going.
    good luck!
    (i recommend spending sometime abroad, theres nothing more worthwhile in terms of gaining confidence, experience and building your character).
  • Options
    yeah I have done the interviews with the 2 agencies I am with. Been applying for jobs not via agencies now though and hoping something comes up.

yeah sometime aborad robably would be good., Its just doing it you know? and the expensive.
  • Options
    got a few brouchures, its still well expensive.

even the cheapest projects for the shortest time cost about £2000 overall.

what about doing things independantly? does that work?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    got a few brouchures, its still well expensive.

even the cheapest projects for the shortest time cost about £2000 overall.

what about doing things independantly? does that work?
    why, what is it you actually want to do? volunteer work like building a house in a remote village? i know you have to pay for that. i did want to do that until i realised that there wouldnt be such things as toilets and hairdryers.
    don't you want to travel and see places? or maybe try to get a job somewhere?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    why, what is it you actually want to do? volunteer work like building a house in a remote village? i know you have to pay for that. i did want to do that until i realised that there wouldnt be such things as toilets and hairdryers.
    don't you want to travel and see places? or maybe try to get a job somewhere?

Don't they set you up in a hotel when you do that?
  • Options
    I'm not sure really.

I mean I have one brouchure and they do teahing, journalism and enviromental work, depending where you go.

I mean some enivromental thing working with animals would be great, or some journalism thing would be good to.

Travelling and just seeing sites I wouldnt mind doing. I guess if I was staying somewhere for ahwhile I'd get a job there.

I reckon I'll just concentrat eon trying to get a job here for the meantime.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    thanks.

any info on working in america for non students would be gratefully recieved, especially in the califronia,florida, St Louis area.

I'm moving to the USA in the summer, and if you really want to go for paid work, you will need the correct visa- in your case probably an H1-B or 2B visa, and these are not that easy to come by. Before you can apply for one, you must have an official job offer, then you will have to get a lawyer to apply for the visa on your behalf.

What they don't tell you is that they only release the visa's on the 1st of April every year, and in each class of visa, they only release a set amount, which are usually gone by August, so if you apply too late, you have to wait until the next April before you can apply again!

Also- you need to make sure that the job you get is appropriate for the class of visa that you fall into ie, as you are a graduate you will need to get a graduate level position, as they will not let you into the country on another type of visa- so it means you can't just get any job.

...And even once all that is taken care of- due to the way the American financial year works- you are cannot legally start work in the country until the 1st of October!!!!!

...if you can prove that you can support yourself they will let you into the country on a 6 month tourist visa, but it means you can't work; failing that you can stay in the country under the visa-waiver scheme for 90 days.

.....a bit long winded, but I hope it helps :thumb:
  • Options
    thanks!! much appreciated