Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Important" Browser message - nicking my credit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got a browser message this morning on my phone. Said it was important, nothing else. Having only had them before when changes were being made to my browser, I followed the link. It basically said "You have won £600" so I closed it without (or so I thought) agreeing to anything.

And now somehow, I have lost £6 in credit today. Except wait for it, the 3 messages I've been had since the browser one have apparently cost me £1.50, and yet supposedly put my balance up to £620.

Tried ringing the number they're coming from and it's not a recognised call number, and when I went back onto the web link it said "Sorry". Meaning I'm really p*ssed, I now have no credit and I need credit on my phone at all times, and can't find a thing to do about it.:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Get in touch with the network see what they can do
  • Options
    Also complain to ICSTIS - www.icstis.org.uk
  • Options
    Well I tracked the IP address to an American company, and dropped them a fairly polite email although it left no doubt that i'm annoyed. They're a server provider so I don't know whether it was them or a client.

Also sent Tesco an email as their customer care keeps diverting me to top up, which is the last thing I want given the circumstances. Wondering if I should be emailing O2 instead, as they provide the browser side rather than Tesco.

Will write to Icstis as well, thanks for the link. :)
  • Options
    Write lots of emails to everyone and soon enough someone is bound to listen to you :-). Send copies not only to customer complaints, but sales, finance, everyone. Well, thats if you dont get anywhere with your polite emails :)
  • Options
    Reply to the message with the word "STOP". I believe that should stop everything (legal) in the UK. Otherwise, write to Tesco (find a postal address somewhere) asking for the money back, since you couldn't get through to them on the phone. Make sure you send it recorded.
  • Options
    Me_and wrote:
    Reply to the message with the word "STOP".

I found that on the site above. Slight problem, I only have 7p credit, and can't afford to top my phone up. I should be able to set that number as one of my "favourites" and get a 5p text on it tomorrow, so might have to try that.
  • Options
    Got hold of tesco through their sales centre, and the guy traced the number and gave me the number of someone to ring. So I've cancelled the texts and was given the number of the service provider, and just got to see whether or not its possible to get my money back when the lines aren't busy.

Thanks for your help guys :thumb: