Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

darkie day

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    er yes, why on earth should such a thing be a legal matter, do you really think we should be locking people up for 'being nasty', really?

The fact that people don't do such things has nothing do with the threat of legal sanction, it is to do with basic civic virtues, and if people haven't got them that is to their detriment, not the people on the other end.....
    Not locking them up, but where appropriate fining them.

I disagree with you. If there wasn't threat of sanction, you would see and hear more 'cunts' and 'motherfuckers' than there are trees in the woods.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not locking them up, but where appropriate fining them.

I disagree with you. If there wasn't threat of sanction, you would see and hear more 'cunts' and 'motherfuckers' than there are trees in the woods.

Really?

You seriously think people swear less at other people to avoid 'sanctions'?

:eek2:
    Demolition man style nannying for us!
    Spliffie wrote:
    Really?

Imagine how many signed letters a day saying "you are a fucking cunt" would the likes of Tony Blair or Margaret Thatcher would get if it were legal to say those things.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Really?

Course they do, but not the sanctions Aladdin means.

People don't call the local meathead a cunt because he'll punch them on the nose.

It's not legal to send threatening letters. And that's why people don't.

Getting to the other points:

1. Diane Abbott is an odious twerp, but at least she doesn't castrate her sons at the altar of political belief. People who send their children to a shithole for political reasons are bad parents.
    2. I'd suggest the local MP probably knows more about it that Diane Abbott, who can't keep her ugly moronic face out of anything.
    3. Stargalaxy wasn't funny the first time, and just looked like a cunt the second time he repeated his "hilarious" joke.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Imagine how many signed letters a day saying "you are a fucking cunt" would the likes of Tony Blair or Margaret Thatcher would get if it were legal to say those things.

Having had some dealings with them we do get plenty of letters like that and whilst it would be perfectly possible to sue for libel we tend to screw them up and throw them in the bin.
    Aladdin wrote:

No-one i know nor will probably ever know would refrain from swearing at someone (policemen and such like the exception) because of potential legal sanctions. That's just ridiculous.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Demolition man style nannying for us!
    least I'm not the only one who thought that movie was worth remebering :rolleyes:
    Spliffie wrote:
    No-one i know nor will probably ever know would refrain from swearing at someone (policemen and such like the exception) because of potential legal sanctions. That's just ridiculous.
    Really? Have you ever heard of the terms libel and slander?

There are thousands upon thousands of such cases going through the courts every year. Many of which are directly related to abusive terms.
    Aladdin wrote:
    There are thousands upon thousands of such cases going through the courts every year. Many of which are directly related to abusive terms.

Yep.

Putting letters saying "p*ki cunt" through the door of an Indian takeaway will guarantee you a free stay at one of Brenda's holiday camps.

And I'd say rightly so.
    Padstow is nice.
    i doubt diane abbott has ever been to cornwall. not that it matters what she thinks anyway. in cornwall people are fiercely proud of their ancient traditions and will just ignore any attempt to ban them.
    Just how "ancient" is darkie day anyhow?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Really? Have you ever heard of the terms libel and slander?

Do slander/libel laws cover calling some a cunt?
    More importantly, who on earth would take someone to court for that, and what court would accept such a case?

If someone calls me a cunt in front of a police officer I doubt he would do anything and I certainly wouldn't ask him to.......
    no-one is exactly sure how old darkie day is, there are theories that it was originally a pagan festival which was suppressed by the church. apparently the main theory that it was related to slave trading has been discounted. if something similar happened in bristol, then i could believe that, but padstow is a tiny little harbour. the only thing brought ashore there was smuggled booze etc.
    discounted by who?
    the bbc claims that that theory " has widely been discounted ". sadly the organisers of the event have already made a series of concessions to whining liberals and pc witchfinder-generals, but these are apparently not enough for abbott. fortunately the police are taking no action, so hopefully she will stop her bleatings about racism.
    widely discounted by who?
    i dont know blagsta, you'd have to delve further into it i suppose. the links i looked at didnt specify a source, just the bbc. as i said earlier, i'd be very suprised if padstow had anything to do with the slave trade, and ive been there, unlike diane abbott.
    so you're claiming that its been "widely discounted" but you don't know who by
    No he isn't - he's claiming the BBC claim it's widely discounted.