Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what is your viewpoint of feminism?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what is feminism to you?

simple really, personally i seperate feminism from the fight to get equal and fair rights for all people, and thus i dont really have a definition of feminism myself

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Femanists want to turn all women into Lesbians, get them to practise whitchcraft and kill their babys,,

Thats right isnt it ?
    \
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you define "feminism" as "all people should be equal" then I'm 100% for it. If you define it as "women are superior" then I'm 100% against it.

Keep in mind though that "equal" doesn't only mean "equal rights and opportunities", it also means "equal obligations" etc. Can't have the good parts without the bad ones too.
    still no mention of what the aims of the movement are.....
    \
    \
    of course, that goes without saying, but no feminist would try to dispute that. that implies you think there are some duties and obligations that feminists would like to shirk.
    Well, it's mostly the situation here (Greece) that made me say that. Men have to spend about a year in the army once they're finished with school or university, women don't.
    no feminists do define feminism as such. the only people who do are anti-feminists who fear that giving women too many rights will mean that their dinners won't get cooked or their dishes won't get cleaned.

what a load of bollocks :lol:

what would you like to see happen?

equal responsibilities of both sexes, or what? many people i know who call themselves feminists, still 'expect' men to do certain things in life, which well ruins the point of it surely?
    \
    but i will say that i don't think men and women having "equal responsibilities" means they should have the "same responsibilities". there are differences between the sexes, and i won't try to deny that; but we live in a society where one sex is valued over the other, and that is still true despite the many advances the feminist movement made in the last century.
    Sure, but I don't see anything wrong with women in the army. In other countries they can join if they want, so if it's an obligation for one sex here it should be for the other too. Besides even men don't "have to", you can declare you're opposed to military things and be made to do something else for a longer time.
    feminism is the movement originally started to increase womens rights to be equal to that of mens.
    A feminist believes in equal rights for the sexes.
    feminism is the movement originally started to increase womens rights to be equal to that of mens.
    A feminist believes in equal rights for the sexes.

what i like to see, now to make sandwiches for mine and lubys queueing :p
    "It is about knowing that a woman is the equal of a man in art, at work, and under the law, whether you say it out loud or not -- but for God's sake start saying it out loud already. You are a feminist."

I'm entirely too tired/lazy to define what feminism is to me, right now, so I'll let this opinion-piece do it for me - it says everything I'd want to only 100x more eloquently. I've read it more times than I care to imagine. :blush:

Link.
    *loves Briggi* :heart:
    \
    That's nice, men can be feminists too.

Totally ridiculous idea of course, because no two people are ever equal.
    klintock wrote:
    That's nice, men can be feminists too.

Totally ridiculous idea of course, because no two people are ever equal.
    yes but they have equal rights, and their equality isnt decided by the fact of which gender they happened to be born as.
    I think feminists are teh sex.
    yes but they have equal rights, and their equality isnt decided by the fact of which gender they happened to be born as.

Depends what you mean by "rights" I think. If you mean the right not to be disciminated against in court or whatnot I think fair enough. If you think that the right to force a person to employ people it wouldn't normally choose too, then, no.
    I think kermits old av was "Feminism is the radical notion that women are equal" and yes that's true, legally they are entitled to the same rights men are. However, they're not equal psychologically or physically equal so I can see how some people can see feminism as a problem, that it de-genderizes society.
    \
    only if by that you mean, "they are not psychologically or physically the same", which is obvious anyway as no two people are the same. But if by equal you mean possessing of equal value and worth, then women are equal to men in every respect, including psychology and physiology.

:confused:

I can see where you're coming from but they're not the same equally, men produce testosterone, we're stronger. Women have been proven to be better at multi-tasking than men, just two examples. We're not psychology of psychologically equal, though these attributes generally have equal worth in terms of their contribution to scoiety.
    only if by that you mean, "they are not psychologically or physically the same", which is obvious anyway as no two people are the same. But if by equal you mean possessing of equal value and worth, then women are equal to men in every respect, including psychology and physiology.

Who to?

Which person, when and to which other person?

To a pit owner? A small office? A family of five?

Anyway, to say that a whole group should be considered equal when individual members of that group never are and are never going to be is a bit dim, frankly. As an expression of a wish, it's nice enough but so is wishing for a french villa and a sack of gold.
    klintock wrote:
    Depends what you mean by "rights" I think. If you mean the right not to be disciminated against in court or whatnot I think fair enough. If you think that the right to force a person to employ people it wouldn't normally choose too, then, no.
    Choosing 3 men to work for you when a woman who applied would be better than at least one of them is sexist. But choosing 2 men and 1 woman because you'd be labeled sexist, while a man that applied would have been better than the woman is sexist too. That's not what feminism is about though.
    Choosing 3 men to work for you when a woman who applied would be better than at least one of them is sexist. But choosing 2 men and 1 woman because you'd be labeled sexist, while a man that applied would have been better than the woman is sexist too. That's not what feminism is about though.

Ok, fair enough. Makes sense.

How do you get someone who wouldn't follow your sensible suggestion to agree and do as you wish?
    \
    then men and women are equal, but different.

Does that make sense?
    turlough wrote:
    Does that make sense?
    Yes. 2+3=7-2 (cliche).
    turlough wrote:
    I think kermits old av was "Feminism is the radical notion that women are equal" and yes that's true, legally they are entitled to the same rights men are. However, they're not equal psychologically or physically equal so I can see how some people can see feminism as a problem, that it de-genderizes society.
    You've got a fair point. Men and women are different, they have different skills and are differently abled. There are people who overlap though, and job areas, and as such there should be no descrimination based on sex, just on ability.
    \