Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone who supports England (and football) should boycott the News of the Screws

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Simon Jordan in the Observer sums up my views pretty well:
The News of the World ran 3,500 words on their six-month Sven sting. You can boil it down to this: Sven will leave 'if England win the World Cup'. He's a bit gullible, a bit soft-headed, easily aroused by money. Michael Owen isn't loving the fact he swapped Real Madrid for Newcastle. Shaun Wright-Phillips was overpriced at £24m. Managers tap up players. Rooney comes from a poor family. Rio Ferdinand can be lazy. Doug Ellis is unwell.

That's 3,500 words of nothing, spun into a story designed to disrupt England's best chance of winning a World Cup in 30 years for maximum circulation gain. And this from a paper that in a few months' time will be billing itself as 'England's official paper' and printing branded England flags. It's also a paper that still pays Terry Venables to write a column. Maybe if Sven sold himself more, played on his roguishness and cash-lust and was a bit more cockney, a bit more cheeky, he'd be El Sven, not the 'sneaky Swede'. That's the moral level we're operating on here. Sven's reputation is unaltered by this. The News of the World's is through the floor.

What a despicable, pointless piece of shit that rag is. Even more so than its sister paper.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    By the sound of it he's leaving either way (England so arent going to win).

I'm surprised people still get done by their dodgy arab, they've done it loads of times.
  • Options
    The papers do it all the time and it ain't just the news of the world, most papers write things that in my mind will disrupt the squad whether it be about the manager or the players, anything really.
    It winds me up and as soon as I saw this story I said "couldn't they wait till after the world cup", but they just want to sell papers, they will pretend to care when we're playing, they will bum the team when we're winning and they will crucify the team when we lose, it stinks but it is the way of the press.
  • Options
    The news of the world is just rubbish
  • Options
    Who buys it anyway though, I will be very surprised if anyone will come here and defend their actions, I didn't need this incident to know it was a rag and I am sure few did..........
  • Options
    Yes I would think so too Toadborg. Yet, incredibly, there are some media pundits out there who "saluted" the Screws for its 'scoop'.

Though I suspect these are the people who hated Ericsson from the outset and who can't wait for him to leave.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What a despicable, pointless piece of shit that rag is. Even more so than its sister paper.
    Why are The Sun and the News of the World doing this, that's what I don't understand. Do they just not like Swedish people? (unless the said Swedish people are blonde, with large breasts and draped over Page 3?)
  • Options
    It sells papers.

It'll be forgotten in a month.

I won't buy it because of how it treated the dead of Liverpool. But they you go.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Who buys it anyway though

Around three-and-a-half million copies are circulated every week. It's the biggest-selling Sunday paper by a mile, unbelievably.