Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

saftey concerns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right to cut a long story short. Ive been with the g/f for a while now and she wants things to go all the way. I was hoping she was going to go on the pill as this and using a condom seemed to be the safest way of doing things. Unfortunatly tho shes not prepared to do this because shes tried most types and everytime had lots of negative side effects ranging from being reduced to an emotional wreck to really bad bleeding - Basically shes now dead against using anything hormone based. So is just using a condom and being careful not to get any "substances" on say my hands etc still going to be safe??? Im scared stiff of getting her pregnant but at the moment just using condoms seems to be the only option. Coils etc are out at the moment for differing reasons. Im worried sick about somthing going wrong but shes seems to think we should just go for it what do u think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    be careful & make sure to use good condoms like durex / condomi

obviously the "extra safe" ones are going to be that bit more durable than the others, but as long as they have that kite logo on them, they should be pretty safe.

if you've never used one before, practice in advance! :p read the pack instructions etc
    Maybe she should go in and see the Dr. and talk about it. I've had many bad side effects with different forms of contraception. Eventually I found one good for me. There is the patch, the shot, dozens of different pills with different levels of hormones. There are iud's and rings.
    There are also various barior methods, such as a sponge or diaphram and cap. No hormones.

Before she makes the decision that she's not going to use anything, she should consider all the options and the alternatives.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    be careful & make sure to use good condoms like durex

ahah! you've got to be kidding, I've yet to use a durex condom that didnt split.
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    ahah! you've got to be kidding, I've yet to use a durex condom that didnt split.

really? I've had a pretty good experience of them, but then again, I was using the extra safe ones at the time, they're a bit thicker
    if you are really concerned, perhaps try talking to your gf again and ask her if a diaphram is an option as well as a condom? no hormones, and extra peace of mind for you if the condom splits.
    Well I've always just used condoms (for the last 3 years) and I'm not pregnant. Had a near miss once (and only once) when a condom split, but went to the doctor the next day and got the morning after pill, and everything was fine.

Maybe you should hold off on the sex for a while. She doesn't sound worried, but if you're bothered about it then save yourself the trouble and don't risk it. After all, if she did get pregnant she'd expect you to help her deal with it, one way or another, and "I wanted you to go on the pill" probably wont go down very well later on.
    if you put them on correctly and use good quality ones then you shouldn't have any problems.

she can't have tried ALL types of pill, but then again you don't want to pressure her into doing something she doesn't want to.
    Yeah shes not tried all but tried several different familys of the pill and never been happy with one of them for differing reasons. So shes now dead against any kind of hormonal contraception. Shes very experinced and she seems to knows what shes talking about and as someone said its her body so i cant make her do anything she doesent want.

@ Kate yeah i am holding off at the mo shes very keen but the thought of her being pregnant makes me feel ill. Shes very keen tho so im just seeing how the land lies think ill see if she will go to drs .
    Agree that maybe she should go and have a chat about using something that's not hormone based. I can fully understand the way she feels as i had the same problem and have spent the last 8 years off and on pills and being left with horrible side effects and depressions. Does tend to put you off. So she might not have tried all of them as lucifer said but maybe she's just got the point where she doesn't want to put her body through anymore but if she does have a good doctor that she's comfortable with then maybe there could be something out there for her that could ease your worries and not cause her any either.
    you need to come to some sort of comprimise with your girlfriend and work it out together. if se needs her mind put at ease then may be if you both had a chat with someone at your local FPC, that could help.
    To be honest its my mind that needs putting at rest not hers. Shes been to the drs recently and as shes DEAD against using/taking anything hormonal and shes ruled out other methods for one reason or another it looks like im kinda stuck at the moment. She keeps saying its fine dont worry but I keep thinkin what if?.......
    She should take your thoughts into consideration. I use a condom every night to ease my boyfriends mind, even though I'm on the pill. Its quite selfish and rude of her to be so stubborn about it. To be quite frank, if she can't even take into consideration your point of view on birth control and try to ease your mind, what next? It is her body, but its you shes fucking, its you who would be caught in a mess with her had something happened, then what. She sounds like a selfish bitch. I can't believe she won't even try.
    my_name wrote:
    She should take your thoughts into consideration.
    Its quite selfish and rude of her to be so stubborn about it. To be quite frank, if she can't even take into consideration your point of view on birth control and try to ease your mind, what next?

This is unbelieveable.
    She has tried lots of pills and they don't work for her. That is not being stubbon. That is trying very hard but nothing working.
    You're right it is her body and thus her desision. Nothing to do with him.
    If there were a pill for men I wouldn't take it and I wouldn't expect, or even ask, any woman to take a contraceptive pill.

Even so I, Personally, hate condoms, When it is put on it kind of means, right here we go then, we're just fucking now and that is all we're going to do till I cum.

If you're using condoms, always have a load so you can stop and do something else for a bit if it feels right.

To stop them splitting always squeeze all the air out of the teat and don't leave too much room at the end (you ain't going to cum that much and if you leave too much it will split)

E.
    You obviously missed the point of non hormonal methods :rolleyes:
    if condoms are used properly theyre an excellent method of contraception. Better for her as shes not pumped full of artificial hormones. Id try and stop being paranoid. If the condoms are used properly she wont get pregnant.