Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Berocca

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I take berocca most days, the tablet vitamin energy booster thing that makes an orange drink in a glass of water...It's great, mornings really suck when I've run out of it though. Does anyone know if there's any harm in taking this daily? It says on the packet that it's okay to so I'm guessing it is. Anyone else use this?

Comments

• Options
    I used to take it daily until I looked at the back of the packaging... insane amounts of vitamins in one tablet! It's not a good idea to take that much over the recommended daily amount everyday... good for every once in awhile or when feeling under the weather.
  • Options
    Are there actually any negaive effects to taking too many vitamins though? I understood that most weren't stored in the body so... if it's ok to do it one day, why is it not ok for everyday?
  • Options
    It's not an energy boost, just vits/minerals - and my personal opinion is that it would not be on sale and being recommended to be taken every day if it were dangerous.

It's also won some award for best supplement...

Think about it.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    It's not an energy boost, just vits/minerals - and my personal opinion is that it would not be on sale and being recommended to be taken every day if it were dangerous.

It's also won some award for best supplement...

Think about it.

true, but it is quite possible to have too many vitimins, should you take over the RDA
  • Options
    Bearing in mind they are meant for people with active lifestyles.

...also, the RDA vary for men, women and children etc etc...

But again, they would not realistcally be allowed to sell something recommended to be taken on a daily basis if it were dangerous (please no retorts about smokes or booze etc...)
  • Options
    The berocca tablets contain way way over the RDA, look on the tube.
  • Options
    >..................................... I know.

800% RDA Vit C etc.

Re-read what I said. Twice.

It's very simple.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    800% RDA Vit C etc.

But taking that amount of Vit C over the RDA is fine because unused Vit C is passed through the body .... what you DO have to be careful of are vitamins like A, D etc which store up in the body and can cause liver complications ...

Remember, too, that the RDA is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM recommended level that your body needs to function properly. Most days you eat well over the RDA in your normal meals without any complications ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    But taking that amount of Vit C over the RDA is fine because unused Vit C is passed through the body .... what you DO have to be careful of are vitamins like A, D etc which store up in the body and can cause liver complications...

Large doses of vitamin c will make you piddle a lot, and make you runny.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Large doses of vitamin c will make you piddle a lot, and make you runny.

:lol: ... oh I didnt know it made one runny - although the piddle does wash out the excess Vit C ... but generally speaking, the effects of too much Vit C (and I mean reasonable amounts of excess) isn't too harmful in any way ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    :lol: ... oh I didnt know it made one runny - although the piddle does wash out the excess Vit C ... but generally speaking, the effects of too much Vit C (and I mean reasonable amounts of excess) isn't too harmful in any way ...

Yep, it pushes both the liquids and the solids out quicker. Especially in doses higher than about 500mg.
  • Options
    Thanks. Can’t say I’ve uh noticed the particular side effect mentioned although I probably should try and cut down...
  • Options
    I can't talk from the clever vitamin based positions, but I can give you personal (ish) experience. My dad's been taking them daily for 4 years or so. He's fine! They taste good too! :yum: