Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

darkie day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
harmless fun for the politically incorrect?

I think it's hilarious, very un-PC, they probably dont mean anything derogetory by it :lol:

'The blacking up is to do with having fun, not racism,' - the local Lib Dem MP

Comments

• Options
    People deserve a right to be racist.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    fFs... :impissed:

shh, just ignore him
  • Options
    I hate Diane Abbot! she is such a fuckwit, she lies all the time and is a hypocrit too!
  • Options
    You can't really expect Cornwall to be anywhere near the 21st century, can you?
  • Options
    Like Diane Abbott I’m unfamiliar with Mummers Day having never been to it.

If as the local LibDem MP (who is obviously far more familiar with the area and its customs than Diane Abbott) says the day is nothing to do with racism and
    originated with the idea that people's employers wouldn't be able to tell who they were if they created a bit of mischief.
    I don’t really see the problem. On the other hand, if Abbott is right and that this is
    a day devoted to people dressed up as n****r minstrels and singing songs about n*****s
    I’d side with Abbott.

But given that the LibDem MP is going to be a lot more familiar with this thing I’d guess Abbott misinterpreted the whole thing.
  • Options
    Diane Abbott is one of the most useless and unprincipled politicians of recent times. For years, she preached against grammar schools. So, what does she later do? Sends her son to one on the grounds other schools in the area had poor exam results for blacks. I see Abbott is playing the race card again, and her attempts to do so should be treated with the same mocking scorn they were the last time.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Diane Abbott is one of the most useless and unprincipled politicians of recent times. For years, she preached against grammar schools. So, what does she later do? Sends her son to one on the grounds other schools in the area had poor exam results for blacks. I see Abbott is playing the race card again, and her attempts to do so should be treated with the same mocking scorn they were the last time.

Fair dos to her - she put her son first.

She's also got my respect over Jonathan Aitken. politically they're very different, but they are friends. and when his perjury came out rather than make a cheap politcal point on Question Time she has constantly refused to comment - making the point she valued his friendship whatever.
  • Options
    Haha!

Why the fuck does she give a fuck what some cornish people celebrate or not. Kicking up a fuss over nothing.

Though I do quite like that show who's name escapes me at the moment, well her and Micael Portillo are in it anyway.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Though I do quite like that show who's name escapes me at the moment, well her and Micael Portillo are in it anyway.
    The Politics Show, with that awful Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The Politics Show, with that awful Andrew Neil.

Hey I think he's alright...good show though all in all...Portillo is just the funniest of politicians and he's totally oblivious to it.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    fFs... :impissed:
    like it or not he is right, people should have the right to be racist. Course he sorta misspoke when he said "deserve".
  • Options
    Actually no, I don't think people do. Well, let me clarify: people have the right to be racist, but they don't have the right to publicly express it.

Just as people have the right to hate you, but they don't have the right to publicly call you a cunt (unless they can prove in court you are one).
  • Options
    people have a right to their own ideas and beliefs - yes. but they don't have a right to cause misery / harm to come to other people because of those beliefs. having said that though, i do believe we take 'political correctness' to an extreme in this country.

having said that though, i only learned yesterday that calling somebody from pakistan a 'p**i' is apparantly racist, although i do fail to see why... its no different than someone calling me a 'brit' - which i wouldn't be offended by...
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    people have a right to their own ideas and beliefs - yes. but they don't have a right to cause misery / harm to come to other people because of those beliefs. having said that though, i do believe we take 'political correctness' to an extreme in this country.

having said that though, i only learned yesterday that calling somebody from pakistan a 'p**i' is apparantly racist, although i do fail to see why... its no different than someone calling me a 'brit' - which i wouldn't be offended by...
    Actually it is quite different. The term 'p*ki' is offensive to just about every single person of Pakistani origin. For that reason alone, the term is 'officially' offensive and should not be used.

Just as using the word 'negro' to describe black people is offensive.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Actually it is quite different. The term 'p*ki' is offensive to just about every single person of Pakistani origin. For that reason alone, the term is 'officially' offensive and should not be used.

Just as using the word 'negro' to describe black people is offensive.

actually i know plenty of young pakistanis calling eachother that, its the new n*****r here :lol:

i call my best mate half cast and have always used that phrasing, apparantly im being 'racist' when i mean nothing bad by it
  • Options
    Pejorative at most.
  • Options
    actually i know plenty of young pakistanis calling eachother that, its the new n*****r here :lol:
    Yes indeed, and some black people call each other n*gger. The term is still offensive and should not be used to describe people.

One thing is having an Asian/black mate and jokingly calling them that, another is to speak of Asians and blacks as a third person using such terms.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Just as people have the right to hate you, but they don't have the right to publicly call you a cunt.
    Take note, Kermit. ;)
  • Options
    Why can't you call someone a cunt?

Surely the central point is the difference between hostility towards someone because of what they do (justified) vs that which is directed towards people because of who they are (unjustified).

At a guess I would say the fact that the local MP is a Lib Dem suggests it ain't such a racist area.

Are there any black people living in Padstow, surely there opinions are the ones that matter. If they feel offended, upset or intimidated by this celebration then maybe there is a cause for it being curbed........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    At a guess I would say the fact that the local MP is a Lib Dem suggests it ain't such a racist area.
    Are you implying that Tory held areas are full of racist constituents?
  • Options
    No, but I would say they had more, certainly......

I can't prove it of course but there goes.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    That's rubbish. That would be like saying every Labour constituency in the country loves Tony Blair and his damaging, useless and failing policies.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Looking at where the BNP stands and gains votes and listening to grass roots Labour voters its just as likely that Labour areas are full of racists.

But the point about Padstow (if Abbot is right) probably is that these people probably do think its a bit of fun and certainly wouldn't regard themselves as racists. But at the same time people at the time probably thought the Black and white minstrels were fun. Times move on and what was acceptable once, isn't now.
  • Options
    According to wikipedia...cornwall is 99.0% white

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall

Doubt there's any blacks in Padstow kicking up a fuss...so why should anyone care?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Looking at where the BNP stands and gains votes and listening to grass roots Labour voters its just as likely that Labour areas are full of racists.
    Most of the BNP's strongholds are in the north - the Labour heartlands, as it were.
    But the point about Padstow (if Abbot is right) probably is that these people probably do think its a bit of fun and certainly wouldn't regard themselves as racists. But at the same time people at the time probably thought the Black and white minstrels were fun. Times move on and what was acceptable once, isn't now.
    I wonder how people would react now if the "oh, we're too scared to offend anyone, especially the government" BBC tried to bring that back.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Why can't you call someone a cunt?
    Because unless they are a cunt, you're breaking the law. Because it's an insult. Verbal abuse. Etc etc.

Would you appreciate it if you walked into a shop and were greeted 'hello cunt?'
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because unless they are a cunt, you're breaking the law. Because it's an insult. Verbal abuse. Etc etc.
    Would you appreciate it if you walked into a shop and were greeted 'hello cunt?'
    If that was true, Kermit would be doing multiple life sentences by now. :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

No but then I wouldn't buy anything from that shop and they would lose out......

Is it my imagination or do you often call people names on here?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No but then I wouldn't buy anything from that shop and they would lose out......
    Officer, arrest that man! :p
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Yes I do call people names. Including the Prime Minister of Great Britain and the President of the US. And if they wanted to sue me they might have a case (then again I believe I could prove in court they are what I've called them ;) ).

Are you really suggesting that someone can come and call someone else anything they want?

Can, say, a politician from one party, or an airline boss, or a member of the public who's had a disagreement with another, release an official statement that says "Mr. so-and-so is a fucking cunt", and expect no retribution for it?