Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoothy-maker or juicer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this is the right board for this or not, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. What is the difference between a smoothy-maker and a juicer? Also which is better? I'm trying to decide which one is better to get, or should I just buy a blender? Its such a dilemma!! :confused:

thanks,
rushin :D

Comments

• Options
    A smoothie maker is pretty much a juicer/blender with a tap on it to pour your drink out of.

Juicers could specifically refer to objects designed to remove juice from fruit.
  • Options
    Juicer extracts juice, smoothie makers blend what you put in to make a smoothie. Personally I'd get a blender over a smoothie maker, it does the same job but you can use it to make things other than smoothies.
  • Options
    Juicer extracts juice, smoothie makers blend what you put in to make a smoothie. Personally I'd get a blender over a smoothie maker, it does the same job but you can use it to make things other than smoothies.

of course, you can do that with a smoothie maker too. ;)
  • Options
    yeah i think you should just get a blender then you can do owt in it!! smoothies rock btw..
  • Options
    Juicers take the whole fruit and leave you with the juice. You don't have to skin the fruit, de seed it and all that stuff.

Though, I learned this at an old job, if you want a blender, get one where the bottom is not smaller than the top. When blenders are shaped like that it is near impossible to crush ice. The ice gets stuck and doesn't blend properly and you end with chunks and water.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    of course, you can do that with a smoothie maker too. ;)

Yes, but I'd feel really silly if I made yorkshire pudding batter and had to dispense it through a little tap :p
  • Options
    Blenders are easier to clean than smoothie makers because it is hard to clean inside the tap etc.
  • Options
    Unless you buy a stupidly expensive juicer you are going to waste most of the goodness of the fruit.

Your best option is just a good blender, most fruits can just go straight in without much hassle, and you get all the goodness. Add just a touch of ginger beer to loosen.