Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anne Robinson in 'Anti-Welsh comments' Complaint Again.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story Here

As you may remember, in 2001 Anne Robinson said she wanted to put 'The Welsh' into room 101 for whatever reasons she had. I dont remember. In the story above she is seen as being 'anti-welsh' again. The question is would she be able to get away with the same thing if she said them about Black People/Muslims/Afrians/Indians and so on?

My opinion, of course not. But what do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    Story Here

As you may remember, in 2001 Anne Robinson said she wanted to put 'The Welsh' into room 101 for whatever reasons she had. I dont remember. In the story above she is seen as being 'anti-welsh' again. The question is would she be able to get away with the same thing if she said them about Black People/Muslims/Afrians/Indians and so on?

You're spot on. I could easily attack the English as being a bunch of beer-swilling thugs. Countless tourists abroad think much the same thing.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You're spot on. I could easily attack the English as being a bunch of beer-swilling thugs. Countless tourists abroad think much the same thing.

And you just have.. but it's just a bit of banter.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    It's just a bit of banter.

Would it be the same if an English person said it in the same way to an Indian or an African? "Oh you suck because you're Indian" I think not.
    Skive wrote:
    And you just have.. but it's just a bit of banter.
    It's about as old as the stereotype of the English that dictates they spend all day invading countries and drinking tea. I'm glad I don't speak French though - someone I used to know was studying French and was pretty good in it. He checked some French forums, talking about the English. Let's just say they weren't very complimentary.
    Renzo wrote:
    Story Here

And straight away we all know that this complaining viewer is a sad and pathetic individual with absolutely nothing better to do than make silly complaints that waste everybody’s time...

The English joke and make fun of the Welsh, the Irish, the Scottish, the French and the Americans and they joke and make fun of us. And mostly there is no harm done. Only a toddler should need that explaining.

Jokes about blacks, Indians or Pakistanis are less acceptable because there’s often a subtle if not patent racist overtone. Although Goodness Gracious Me and the Kumars at No. 42 have perhaps made it less taboo which is good.

Anyway say someone says they want to put the English or the Welsh in Room 101. Another says they want to put blacks Room 101. The latter is obviously offensive. The former isn’t.

Ffs people who get offended by this stuff really need to get a life.
    It's the same as taking the piss out of people from Birmingham or Portsmouth.
    I've never considered Wales a country as such, more an area (like East Anglia).
    Whatever it is, it's not racist, though, because Welsh isn't a race (or whatever you call it).

How long did you live in Wales for, Renzo?
    bad seed wrote:
    It's the same as taking the piss out of people from Birmingham or Portsmouth.
    I've never considered Wales a country as such, more an area (like East Anglia).
    Whatever it is, it's not racist, though, because Welsh isn't a race (or whatever you call it).

How long did you live in Wales for, Renzo?

I was born and raised in Wales until I was 8, but my family had to move away due to my dad losing his job. Why is this of any relevence?
    Renzo wrote:
    I was born and raised in Wales until I was 8, but my family had to move away due to my dad losing his job. Why is this of any relevence?

Because you rattle (whinge) on about this Welsh stuff so much.
    bad seed wrote:
    Because you rattle (whinge) on about this Welsh stuff so much.

So?
    Renzo wrote:
    So?

So nothing. I was just interested.
    Off to room 101 with you...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    Would it be the same if an English person said it in the same way to an Indian or an African? "Oh you suck because you're Indian" I think not.

Yes, and I didn't take offence with Stargalaxy's insinuation that we're all beer swilling thugs. It's just banter.

Get a sense of humour. Getting worked up about trival shit like this is really quite sad.
    Weekender Offender 
    jackoneel wrote:
    Freedom of speech. Get used to it, dingus.
    You've been banned before, haven't you? Not to worry, I've reported you, you'll get another banning soon. You'll like that, won't you? :wave:
    jackoneel wrote:
    No they aren't.

Freedom of speech should be total.

I'm free to say you come accross as a sad little person then. See you next time you decide to reappear. :thumb:
    All sensible people find the taffs annoying.

Next?
    Kermit wrote:

Next?
    we're not all annoying :crying:

granted some of us are, same as some english, scottish, french etc. are

can't we all just get along? :D
    Somewhere between Men of Harlech and today the Welsh seem to have lost their spine and subject to raging hissy fits if anyone dares to take the piss out of them. God, you're becoming more like the English every day.
    believe me ...the world was a far friendlier and more tolerant place when ...taking the piss out of your friends ...was a healthy thing to do.
    I hear that a sheep tied to a lamp-post is called a "leisure centre" in Wales.
    I hear that a sheep tied to a lamp-post is called a "leisure centre" in Wales.

:lol:
    Kermit wrote:

Next?
    I findit annyoing, the whole "we're so hard done by because we're always discriminated against" attitude so many Welsh people have and the culture of racism.
    \
    They're just bitter cos no-one outside of Britain has ever heard of Wales.