Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'Why do you want to come to college?'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The ONE question I've written an answer to about 20 times and not liked any of them enough to actually write on my application form for college.
It's driving me nuts. Why do I want to come to college? Because I want to be a makeup artist - that's why...

So why's it so hard to write a paragraph about why!? Grrrr. Must be the ADD. :grump:

Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do a Billy Elliot and say it 'makes you feel like you're on FIRE'.

No seriously, just expand. I hate doing those questions..it all seems a bit phony. I guess you want to go to college for training in order to be a makeup artist. This is a shit answer. I'm sorry!
    The ONE question I've written an answer to about 20 times and not liked any of them enough to actually write on my application form for college.
    It's driving me nuts. Why do I want to come to college? Because I want to be a makeup artist - that's why...

So why's it so hard to write a paragraph about why!? Grrrr. Must be the ADD. :grump: Ilora x
    I was fortunate enough never to have to answer this question myself when I applied for college. At university level though, I had to, in effect, explain my reasons in a personal statement. It's not the same thing, though it does give some guidance. You want to be a makeup artist, you note. OK, but why? What is it about being a makeup artisit that appeals to you so much? Why do you want to do that? This is what they want you to reveal.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Say something like "I have always loved make up and recently decided that I wanted to work with it and thought that this course would be an ideal opportunity"

Just make sure you sound passionate about this course and make it sound like it has been your lifetime ambition to do something like this and that you can't wait to start.

Personal statements/questions like this always have a corny answer so don't worry if it sounds naff - everyone who has applied will have a naff answer.

Oh, and it ain't the ADD. Most people struggle with questions like this as the truth never sounds that good: "well, I was flicking through your prospectus and thought the course sounded alright."
    just say because you feel that it's something that you're good at and want to expand your knowledge of the subject both theoretically and practically. plus you want to meet new people etc etc bla bla.
    If its like a statement:

start off with an introduction - who you are, what you've done and why youre interested in the course then Future goals - hence why you want to do this course
    meet new people, take a course you're interested in, learn new things, help get into the career you'd like to do, learn new skills...
    Woooot. Finally found the right words and filled in the answer :D
    Handing my applicatin form to the college's admissions office 2moro :shocking: :D

Thanks for your help peeps :thumb:

Ilora x