Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Only women in swimming pools? Oh, we can't be having that!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    None of the arrangements is ideal, if you ask me. I remember at primary school, we used to have mixed-sex classes for swimming. Even then I hated it. But by secondary school, it was just the boys. And teenage boys all have completely different bodies, don't they? Some were bald as a coot, others were all hairy, like me. And God help you if you had "man tits"!

Nowadays, I'd only even enter a swimming pool by myself or maybe with trusted friends, but what council has the resources to allow everyone to use the pool by themselves?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Anytime? Last time I wanted a swim at 3am, my local pool was shut. :(
    Were you drunk? :p
  • Options
    I always find that women are more critical of other women and their bodies than men are anyway.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Anytime? Last time I wanted a swim at 3am, my local pool was shut. :(

You know what I mean. When it's open. I wouldn't like it much if I walked in looking to have a swim after uni classes only for someone to say there's a women only session on now.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Er, yeah.

A LOT of the women who go to these sessions (at least the ones I've been to over the last few years) go at this time (early evening) because they want to have a relaxing swim. I didn't say no women at these sessions hurtle up and down, but in my experience they generally don't.

If this man is so indignant about it then it might have been more constructive for him to campaign for "men only" swimming sessions, but then I think a lot of men wouldn't be keen on going to them.....

its not that, the council has redone the night so it's an adult only night, to ensure its a peaceful night

whats so wrong in that?
  • Options
    I also agree that in some case, like periods, pregnancy or other female related issue, women have here more reasons or should i say proper reasons to have such session...

personally i don't give a toss about things like that, there are ways around the 'monthly' issue at swimming pools to my knowledge, and for pregnent women, as long as it's a relaxing 'adults' night theres nothing wrong with it being mixed sex

they're just making the relaxed session mixed sex, what's the harm?
  • Options
    Ideal then, problem solved!

whats the argument again? Humans with penises are more likely to harrass people, ogle or swim too fast???
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You know what I mean. When it's open. I wouldn't like it much if I walked in looking to have a swim after uni classes only for someone to say there's a women only session on now.

Has someone stolen yer phone?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Were you drunk? :p

I didn't really want to swim at 3am. It was a way of illustrating a point.
  • Options

:yes:

I don't think single sex sessions are a good idea at all.

If it's a case of being quiet then the pool should have regulations on splashing and diving etc. at certain times of the day.

I know if I turned up to my local pool and was told I couldn'd use it because I wasn't a women I would be really pissed off.
  • Options
    Where do you stand on kids sessions?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Has someone stolen yer phone?

What are you talking about?

Incidentally, my last two phones were stolen so don't jinx me.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It was a way of illustrating a point.

No it was a way of coming across as an idiot and you succeeded, give yourself a pat on the back.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What are you talking about?

You can phone 'em up before hand to check.

All I'm saying is that if some women feel more comfortable in a women only session, is it really that big a deal?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The same as disabled sessions, they're specified and are acceptable in my book. There's no difference between males and females and no one deserves special treatment over the other.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You can phone 'em up before hand to check.

All I'm saying is that if some women feel more comfortable in a women only session, is it really that big a deal?

So would you support men only one's then?

And no, it's not that big a deal but the principle remains the same.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No it was a way of coming across as an idiot and you succeeded, give yourself a pat on the back.

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So would you support men only one's then?

If thats what some men were more comfortable with, yeah why not?
    turlough wrote:
    And no, it's not that big a deal but the principle remains the same.

Who gives a fuck?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If thats what some men were more comfortable with, yeah why not?

I've already said why not. It's a stupid idea.

I must admit it's not a thing that bugs me all the time but I have an opinion.

I know I come across as an idiot a good 80% of the time, I admit it. Will you admit it now too?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've already said why not. It's a stupid idea.

Why?
    turlough wrote:
    I must admit it's not a thing that bugs me all the time but I have an opinion.

Opinions are like arseholes. We all have one and they all stink. :p
    turlough wrote:
    I know I come across as an idiot a good 80% of the time, I admit it. Will you admit it now too?

I've never denied it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    i think they should have seperate pools, or just go in with everyone else tbh.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why?

Opinions are like arseholes. We all have one and they all stink. :p

It serves no real purposes or benefit.

:lol:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It serves no real purposes or benefit.

:lol:

If someone wants to use them, then surely it does serve a purpose?
  • Options
    b
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    :yes:

I don't think single sex sessions are a good idea at all.

If it's a case of being quiet then the pool should have regulations on splashing and diving etc. at certain times of the day.

I know if I turned up to my local pool and was told I couldn'd use it because I wasn't a women I would be really pissed off.

exactly

ladies man here :lol:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why?
    Toady wrote:
    Women only sessions are in fact so common that they clog up quite a large chunk of the timetable, leaving little for simple mixed swimming.

That's why.

It's different for kids who are going for swimming lessons for obvious reasons, or people going for specific activities such as water aerobics and polo. I don't see a valid reason to make sessions sex specific though.

What about specific sessions for white people?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    What about specific sessions for white people?

About 40 years ago in Alabama!
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    About 40 years ago in Alabama!

Try 5 :p

I dont see whats wrong with women only swim classes. There are some at my gym. Its probably alot more comforting to women who are insecure having only women around them in the class. I know if I were ever to take a pool exercise class I would prefer it to be womem only. I dont' know why really. The men in my yoga class don't bother me, but I'd just feel more comfortable with women only in a swim session. They have men only swim clases also. Are the pregnant swim classes discriminating.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    never seen a pool with womens only sessions... nudists maybe, but not womens.
    Nudists? WHERE???

But seriously, I'm as much for women's swimming sessions as men's... I don't see a problem with having seperate sessions if men get one too.
  • Options
    I think there should be a session for people who actually want to swim, rather than stand in the shallow end nattering with their friends. :mad:

I've never not been able to go swimming because there was a women only session on, but I would be really annoyed if it ever happened. Of course I check the timetable before I go, but if people can only go at a certain time during the week, then is it really fair that they can't because they're a man? I'm against single sex sessions, for either sex, purely because people only have a limited amount of free time, and therefore the pool should be open to most of the people, most of the time (since it is a public pool after all). And a training pool should be open for proper swimming most of the time too. It's not hard to set up different lanes for differing abilities, for people who don't want people speeding past them all the time, or having to dodge between slower people.

I just don't understand the justification for it, since most of these women would have no problem sharing a pool or a beach with men on holiday. To suggest that men only go to the swimming pool to check out the girls, or that they'll somehow be more critical of your body than other women is stupid. I just don't think that women (or men) as a group have any sort of special requirements that means they need the pool for themselves, and there's only so much time in the day.
  • Options
    as i said before also, if the womens night was redone as a non playing around night but instead a night of relaxing swimming, which incidently is happening, there is no reason to complain whatsoever other than for entirely sexist reasons

much like they have kids and parents nights, they should have non-playing around nights only etc as it's fair and on discriminates on how the people behave, not their sex