Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

File-sharing 'not cut by courts'

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Who agree that we could have told them that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4627368.stm

Wasn't it obvious, when they arrest one, thounsands start...

I'm happy they wasted a lot of money on that and look foolish for it...

Too bad some people got smacked tho...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Such stupid legislation... Half the albums I have bought I wouldn't have if i wasn't able to download some songs for free..

Apparently album sales are at a high for most record companies atm too, so not sure what they have to complain about :/
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Such stupid legislation... Half the albums I have bought I wouldn't have if i wasn't able to download some songs for free..

Apparently album sales are at a high for most record companies atm too, so not sure what they have to complain about :/

I think it is more a control thing than anything else...

They probably hate that they can not control p2p and make cash out of it...

And now people know the price of a blank CD and when you see the price of
    the CD you buy there is abuse...

And some people say think of the artists, I say ok, but on CD sale artist barely got 10~15% unless they own they own production company...
  • Options
    They can sue all they want but piracy will never die. There will always be people that will buy music and there will always be people that download from P2P or Usenet.
  • Options
    They can sue all they want but piracy will never die. There will always be people that will buy music and there will always be people that download from P2P or Usenet.

Yep P2P will live forever :thumb:
  • Options

Quite true. If i really like a band, I'll go out and buy their new releases, as I like to have the originals. If I hear something on the radio, or it's recommended, i'll usually look to download some of their tracks first to sample them.

As for the watchdog's saying that artists don't prosper, you only have to llok at the arctic monkeys, who have 'marketed' all their stuff by p2p prior to releasing any of it. Their first single went in straight at no.1, and their album is forecast to. Therefore, people have sampled it by downloading, but have then gone out and bought the album too.
  • Options
    doesn't supprise me, you only need to look see how many people you're connected to when you turn on any torrent client... millions. they can't sue them all.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Replicant wrote:
    doesn't supprise me, you only need to look see how many people you're connected to when you turn on any torrent client... millions. they can't sue them all.

Yeah, you can't arrest everyone, or no-one is left... so many people are actually important and have important jobs.
  • Options
    It's funny how Sony had to give something like 20p (yes, I know it was more than that, but not enough) for putting dodgy software (that installs itself to the users' computer) on their CDs...but record companies will sue a downloader for about 3 grand or suchlike.

I don't agree with nicking music, but the fact that Sony got away with some miniscule punishment annoys me.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

Same here. Also, I think many people are downloading because record companies/shops put their prices too high. (And some stuff is harder for me to get in town than it is to get stuff off a friend of mine)
  • Options
    What I would want to see if someone sue them, for not offering CD replacement service...

When you buy a CD of any artist, you have buy the license for it as well and technically, if the CD breaks, you still own the license, so you shouldn't have to buy a cd again as you would end up with 2 license.

Normally there should be way for us to get remplacement CD at lower cost when they are broken as we still own the license for it, therefor they must provide us with the content included within that license...

They could still charge for the price of the burning and delivery, but we shouldn't have to buy a second license...

Basically they force us to buy the license again, which is illegal, to bad noone
    sue them about it yet, I know if I had the cash I would...
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    I don't agree with nicking music, but the fact that Sony got away with some miniscule punishment annoys me.

Same here.

The CEO of Sony should have been done for fraud, and be spending the rest of his days in Strangeways.