Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

recipes for the Stressy SG.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right you students, lets help our stressy friend who is worrying far too much about cooking (and other uni stuff).

for those of you who cook at all (and similar to Moonrat's AG thread it must be said) please post your cheap and piss easy student recipes so that Stargalaxy can copy them out/try them/master them for uni cooking....

i'll start

ingredients: 1 pork steak
1 tablespoon of apple sauce
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
1 onion
half a teaspoon of Garlic (the lazy variety in a jar) if u want

wipe all the ingredients on the pork steak, wrap it in foil , put it in an oven proof dish and put in the oven for half an hour. make up some bisto gravy and have that with it if you want. serve with chips or mash and veg.

Jacket potatoes

ingredients: 1 large potato
whatever you want in it - beans, tuna, cheese etc

method: Prick the potato 3 or 4 times with a fork, put in the microwave for 10 mins, then when you take it out wet the skin all over and put in a preheated to 200 degrees oven for 10-15 mins to get all crispy. then scoff.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, I was originally worried about cooking.

How's about an omlette?

Put two eggs and a splash of milk in a measuring jug and whisk them. Heat a pan (on moderate heat) and pour a bit of oil (or sunflower spread) in it. Then wait for the pan to get hot and pour the omlette mix in to it. The trick with cooking this is to know when to turn it over. I'd recommend a non-stick pan, they're better...

Anyway once it's thickened and is no longer goo, gently turn it over. The thing with this is as the other side cooks, you can put things on it... What I normally do is chop mushrooms and put them in to the uncooked mixture and cook them with the egg, then put cheese on top of it as the other side is cooking and then fold it in... You could put ham in it, chicken, leek and cheese is quite nice too.

Cheese and Marmite on toast is easy... Just use a toaster, put cheese on it and spread Marmite on the cheese then grill it.

Bacon butty... Full of calories, but easy.

Egg butty fried egg between bread.

Beans on toast is another one...

Chips can be put under the grill, as can burgers, most kind of meats... Just know with meat that you shouldn't eat it if the juices that come out aren't clear, or if it's pink.

A lot of cooking isn't too hard, it's just getting used to it. For example if you put butter in a pan you can fry mushrooms in it and they taste yummy. At this point in my life however I'm vegetarian so learning to cook that kinda stuff.

More to come...
    Do not underestimate the humble pasta. It comes in many different shapes and sizes and you can eat it with pretty much everything (I think). It's even a meal in itself.
    toasties ;) buy a toastie maker..
    get 2 piecies of bread with butter/low cal spray on outside and whatever you want in it! im quite partial to tuna i am!!!

or a CURRY

whatever meat you want (i usually have chicken)
    red, green and yellow peppers
    mushrooms
    garlic
    half an onion
    about half a pot of curry paste/sauce

cook meat first then add all the other ingredients until its nice and hot and cooked :)
    you can do the rice the traditional way by boiling it or just getting microwavable stuff!!

oh yeah, and then theres EGG FRIED RICE!

get 2 eggs, and basically make an omelette with them, ecxcept when its done you cut it all up into little pieces then put it to the side.
    then you boil some rice, add some soya sauce, onion, pepper, mushrooms (if you like em!) onion, and maybe even some baby sweetcorn!! mmm
    then you add the egg to the rice and mix it all up until its cooked! lurvely!
    Stir Fry
    You can buy this in packs from the supermarket, all you need to do is put it in a biggish frying pan with a bit of oil and keep stirring it until it is all cooked through. You can add a stir fry sauce and soy sauce if you like. I use straight-to-wok noodles which are yum, but you can use dry ones that cook separately (and are loads cheaper)

Pasta in Sauce with Stuff in it
    Cook some pasta
    Chop some garlic and red onion and put that in a saucepan with a bit of oil, and heat that while you quickly chop some pepper, and then stick that in as well. Then get a jar of Dolmio (or whatever sauce) and pour that into the pan - beware it will sizzle and make a noise. Stir it quickly to mix all the bits into it. I usually add sweetcorn, sometimes kidney beans, and if you chop carrot quite small that can go in as well. Cook it all till the sauce is hot through, and then add to the pasta.
    It will probably make a lot of sauce, so stick the leftover in a tub in the fridge to eat tomorrow. This one is good because there is a lot of veg in there.

Ricey Gloop with Stuff in
    Cook some rice
    Heat some garlic, red onion, pepper, carrot, sweetcorn (are you seeing a pattern here? :p ) in a frying pan/wok with some herbs and wholegrain mustard (if you like the latter). Add some frozen peas to the rice near the end of cooking.
    Drain rice, and add the veg to it. Cover it in soy sauce and some mayo and stir it all up. Yum.

Cheesy chilli garlic beans on toast
    Put beans in a pan. Add chopped garlic, and some chilli flakes - warning these are really hot, so just a few, and loads of grated cheese. Mix it all up until the cheeses has melted into it, and its all hot. Pour onto toast. Note - this will stick to the pan like crazy so you may want to soak it with some hot water and washing up liquid pretty soon!

Vegetable Soup
    Chop potato, swede, carrots, celery, parsnips, onion, garlic into cm cubes (not the garlic, chop that finely) and put them into a pan of water with a vegetable stock cube. When it is cooked, mix it all in a blender until it is smooth, or leave it chunky if you want to.

Food Hints
    -Milk goes off quite fast so remember you have it and use it up. Cereal makes a cheap filling meal/snack.
    -You can freeze spare bread
    -Buy things like herbs, chilli flakes, spices, stock cubes because they are cheap, last for ages and they add flavour to dull food
    -Remember to eat plenty of fruit
    -Tinned fruit in juice is a yum snack
    -Don't spend all your money on takeaway
    -Buy a student cookbook - the one I like best is 'Cheaper than Chips, Better than Toast' by Miranda Shearer.
    There are very few varieties of food raelly. well there are, but thats not my point :p. meat, fish, salad. However, if you learn to make sauces, and know what sauces go well, then you can have an infinite amount of dishes.
    agree with mist - if im short of money or cant be arsed to spend ages cooking (which is most of the time!) i have pasta. you can have it with pracitcally anything. i try not to buy the sauces cos theyre quite expensive, so buy tuna and cheese or tomatos and ham or bacon or beans or mince...
    id recomend that it would be a good idea to make a big meal once a week or so and then freeze a couple of portions so that you arnt tempted to get a takeaway whan you finish uni really tired and order a takeaway.

lentil chilli (The lentils make it really thick and creamy)

peppers (any colour), an onion, garlic, chopped tinned tomatoes (or buy a normal tin and mash them with a fork), mushrooms, some type of mince if you want meat in it (i prefear beef), Chilli powder, orange lentils (check wether they need soaking before, its easier if you buy the type that dont)

boil some lentils in a pan for about 10 min of untill they swell up and start to look like there falling apart, drain using the pan lid with it open just a little bit as they have a tendancy to go straight through a seive.

put some oil into a large frying pan and brown the meat, garlic and onions.
    add all the other ingreadiants and simmer for about 10 - 15 min (just bubbling slightly) you will probably need the lid on the pan as it will spit everyware, stir occasionaly.

serve on its own, with rice, chips, patatoes, pasta anything you want really

saussage couscus

buy some tesco flavoured packet couscus (the stuff that you add a measured ammount of water to and boil) and some tesco value hot dogs.

get the ammount of boiling water that the packet tells you and pour into a bowl with the couscus. you dont need to boil on the hob or anything the packet lies just stir it and leave it untilll all the water has soaked up.

put a few of the hot dogs in the microwave for a couple of min pierce them with a fork 1st. once there hot all the way through chop up and add to couscus

viola, the ultimate lazy meal :)
    risotto (for one)

into a wok on a medium heat, with olive oil in it, chuck:
    *chopped small onion (any kind, although red's nice)
    *chopped clove of garlic

stir till they soften up a bit

add
    *chopped mushrooms (any kind, although shitake or oyster are good, just stick the whole box in, after you've cut the stalks off)

stir a bit more for a few minutes till they begin to soften

add
    *rice for one (about a small cups worth, just look on the packet)

stir till nicely covered in oil

add
    *one pint veg stock
    *one glass white wine (optional, but tastes nice)

lower heat, simmer till most of the water's gone, then add another half pint of hot water & cook till the rice is done & the water's gone

that recipe works for anything in the place of the mushrooms, although if you want to do chicken, stick it in with the onions & garlic & seal it before you add the stock. Also adding paprika makes it a cool colour. :thumb:
    mexican...yum :)

stir fry some veggies (or chicken, i don't eat meat) with some chilli powder, or one of those fajhita seasoning packets (more expensive). roll in tortilla wraps, add lettuce, cheese, sour cream to taste. voila!

alternativly, omit the last 3 ingredients, put in an overproof dish, top with tomato sauce and cheese and bake til the cheese melts

serve with...

guacamole
    mash avacado with black pepper, chopped chilli (or powder), drop of tabasco if you have it, finely chopped tomato, tiny bit of chopped onion and a bit of sour cream. delicious and a million times cheaper than tescos version
    kangoo wrote:
    guacamole
    mash avacado with black pepper, chopped chilli (or powder), drop of tabasco if you have it, finely chopped tomato, tiny bit of chopped onion and a bit of sour cream. delicious and a million times cheaper than tescos version

good call :D

add a little lemon juice&garlic in there too :yes:
    Most supermarkets do packets of pasta and tubs of sauces where you boil the pasta and heat the sauce up and mix them together I use Asda's tagliatelle and carbonara sauce and make Tagliatelle Carbonara and it's lovely.
    There's also Toast Toppers that you put on toast and grill it for 2/3 minutes.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A Cheater's Risotto.

Boil some rice, fry some bacon, mushroom, onion and any other veg/meat you want to put in it. Mix them all together (when they are cooked) and grate some cheese over it. MmMMmMMmm.

Also, if you know how to make a cheese sauce and a bolognaise then lasange is an easy alternative from spag bol.
    Replicant wrote:
    add a little lemon juice&garlic in there too :yes:

ahh how could i forget! yes add lemon juice else it will go brown :yuck:
    All i eat is pasta, toast and readymade meals :(
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Cut up some chicken, throw it in a pan and throw in some veggies, then whack in some gravy or some sweet and sour sauce. Get some rice or roast potatoes, phwoar.
    My flatmate cuts up chicken into pieces about 4cm long and then covers it in Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli dipping sauce and just lets it caramelise in a saucepan, easy and yum (presumably, she eats it all the time!) Actually she might cook the chicken first but I'm not sure.

Another thing - if you put grated cheese on top of your finished meal it makes you feel like you are actually cooking! :D
    Renzo wrote:
    All i eat is pasta, toast and readymade meals :(

lmao, same here... i was getting worried that i was the only one.. I'll leave the chefs too it as long as i have something to eat :/
    Buy some pitta bread. Cut in half. Poke in some grated cheese and then put in the toaster. Blissss.
    I love this topic!

I've been trying to cook a bit more, all i've really eaten is chips and pasta...anyway, so this is something i like to call rice with stuff in the cupboard

Cook a pork chop
    Get some rice, and put it in a pan with some water, and crumble a chicken oxo cube in (this is quite important)
    Cut up some parsley, peppers, red onion...whatever else you feel like.
    Oh and the pork chop (which is now cooked)
    Drain the rice
    Heat some sunflower oil in a frying pan
    Stick the rice in with all the other stuff you've been chopping and then just keep erm....moving it around with one of those things you use to flip stuff.
    And then serve.
    I've been living of this for about a week now.
    pasta! but don't eat too much.

also i tend to go for veg and stuff as it's cheaper than ready made meals and better for you. however i make an exception for ocean pie! it goes excellently with brocolli.

jacket potatoes are also a good option as they're filling and go with a lot. e.g. tuna/prawn with mayonnaise and some salad or something, cheese and beans, ravioli..the list is endless!
    Right you students, let's help our stressy friend [Stargalaxy] who is worrying far too much about cooking (and other uni stuff). For those of you who cook at all (and similar to Moonrat's AG thread it must be said) please post your cheap and piss easy student recipes so that Stargalaxy can copy them out/try them/master them for uni cooking...
    Erm... for possibly the first time on this site, Stargalaxy is speechless! :blush: When you sent me that text message saying you'd done a thread to help me, I wasn't aware you actually meant a recipe thread! Mind you, since you have, I'll print these and try some out. I think I might pass some on to my sister as well, as she'll be starting uni in 2007. Thanks Kim, I :heart: you!!!!! And thanks to everyone who's contributed so far. If you've got more, please, keep them coming! :D
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Erm... for possibly the first time on this site, Stargalaxy is speechless! :blush: bla bla bla soppy crap

Cooking is simple, oh and I wrote out a really easy way to cook rice in the AG thread, make sure to do that.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Cooking is simple, oh and I wrote out a really easy way to cook rice in the AG thread, make sure to do that.
    Thank you.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Thank you.

Some people who worry too much said it could poison you, but dont listen to them, its a good idea.

Boil a huge tub of rice, cook, then rinse with loads of cold water to get rid of the starch, then freeze in serving sized packs. When you want rice, pull out of the freezer, 3 mins in the microwave and bingo, perfect rice in 1/10th of the time.
    your-babe wrote:
    tesco value pasta sauce (25p a jar)

ooh cheap pasta sauce, i can NEVER find that. i'll look next time im in tescos!
    spag bol is easy to make, too. and you could make it for under £2. though i use big jars of sauce and don't use it all.

paninis are quite easy to make, too.

i only seem to make stodgy things. :p
    super cheap meatballs & pasta meal:

pasta (any kind you fancy)
    sainsburys basic meatballs in tomato sauce (actually rather tastey)

cook pasta, microwave meatballs, mix together and grate cheese on the top :thumb:

chicken dippers & chips

self explanitory & very yummy :p

always keep chicken dippers & chips in the freezer

serve with some sweetcorn or any other veg

lasange & brocoli

good combination!

buy a chilled lasagne from sainsburys or wherever, (their beef one is good) be it chicken/beef/vege [also, freezable, good to keep in freezer, although you have to defrost it before you want to cook it :( ]

stick it in oven for best results, or microwave if you want it quick

cook some brocoli (try not to over cook it though :sour: )

serve together

generic chicken curry/mexican/chinese dish

these things all start the same, just add a different sauce :thumb:

stirfry:
    chopped onion
    chopped small pepper (depending on how much chicken you have)
    chopped chicken
    cook till chicken's pretty much done

add sauce (try different ones till you find one you like, at this stage you can add pretty much any sauce, indian / mexican / chinese / thai / morrocan, experiment!)

simmer till the rice/whatever you're serving it with is done
    serve with rice / noodles / rice noodles / pasta / egg fried rice
    In mash, use sweet potatoes as well as standard, they give it a nice extra dimension, take a little extra cooking time, so cut them up smaller than you might do normally. Also philladelphia makes for a nice creamy/cheesy extra.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    In mash, use sweet potatoes as well as standard, they give it a nice extra dimension, take a little extra cooking time, so cut them up smaller than you might do normally. Also philladelphia makes for a nice creamy/cheesy extra.

Mmmmm. Philly and chicken bits on a baked potato is just lush :yum:
    your-babe wrote:
    Wow... never thought about freezing rice... My person fave is:
    Rice (cooked obviously) with bacon, ham, and tesco value pasta sauce (25p a jar)... Been living off that for... 3 days now.

Tesco value pasta sauce used to be so much nicer- now its all runny and tastes really weird!