Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Really bad coldsores...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My lip has come up with a huge coldsore, and i mean HUGE :nervous: the whole of my top lip is swollen because of it, i've only had it 2 days but i can see its spreading and getting bigger... im going to the docs today to see if they can give me some anti-viral tablets or something as i find zovirax doesnt work 4 me. I'm not sure if they will/can give anti virals just for that because at the end of the day coldsores are common, but its really getting me down as i've never had one like this before :crying: Does anyone have anyone know whether me asking the doctor for this is a waste of time? or does anyone suffer coldsores this bad and hav any of their own remedies that seem to work? i take L-lysine but i dont think that helps neither to be honest...

Any help/advice much appreciated...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about asking a phamasist (sp?) for advice?
    Here i bought a cream, it had Aclicovir in it. Got rid of my "what i think" was a coldsore in a few days, well at least reduced its annoyingness and size. Aclicovir is what some of the tablets that they give you for the herpes/coldsore virus, but i read that they don't like to give it as a tablet/ingested form too often as it can tend to have bad side effects, i think they only tend to give it out for bad cases such as genital herpes.

i'm in a completely different country to you so i'm not sure that England do actually do Aclicovir cream over the counter, But as Tweety said your best shot may be to directly ask a pharmacist.
    Here i bought a cream, it had Aclicovir in it. Got rid of my "what i think" was a coldsore in a few days, well at least reduced its annoyingness and size. Aclicovir is what some of the tablets that they give you for the herpes/coldsore virus, but i read that they don't like to give it as a tablet/ingested form too often as it can tend to have bad side effects, i think they only tend to give it out for bad cases such as genital herpes.

i'm in a completely different country to you so i'm not sure that England do actually do Aclicovir cream over the counter, But as Tweety said your best shot may be to directly ask a pharmacist.

Yeah i think thats the same stuff as zovirax, or at least i think zovirax contains aciclovir or whatever its called... hmmm i dunno, zovirax doesnt work anyway :(
    I wouldn't have thought a Doc would give you aciclovir or any other anti-virals in oral form - the creams are specifically for cold sores, whereas these have a wide action.
    BTW, Zovirax is usually a five day treatment. I know because I have a cold-sore at the mo aswell :(
    i once had a cluster of cold sores all the way round my mouth. was agony. i went to the doctor and he gave me a couple of creams to put on. i think one was a steroid and one was an antibiotic, which doesn't really make sense. but it did seem to do the trick.

zovirax does nothing for me either. i've got a cold sore at the moment too.
    I don't know, because I don't have cold sores, but my understanding is you have to get the aciclovir on it before it shows - from the first tell-tale tingle.
    Yes carriage i think that's true. However i think i found it also helped even though i put it on about halfway through
    well...

i dont actually think there is a way to permanently get rid of clodsores because they are part of the herpes virus and like the genital herpes virus there is no way as of yet to completely irradicate herpes from ur body so until they find a cure i guess you just have to kind of use the creams n stuff you can get over the counter alternatively you could go to your doctors to get something stronger good luck xxx
    I've never had a cold sore, so I wouldn't really know, but I read something in a magazine earlier today about natural remedies and apparently Lemon Balm is supposed to be good for cold sores.
    Cold Sores Suck!

Fortunately, you might find this site helpful:

http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/cold-sores.shtml

It has tips, remedies, news, loads of links, commercial products, and home treatments you can try.

-NJ
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Herpes on your gob. Ouch.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Herpes on your gob. Ouch.
    A different form to the genital herpes. ;)

This thread is old.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    A different form to the genital herpes. ;)

Still herpes! :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
    Prevner

I had been suffering from cold sores on and off for years,
    Zovirax just did not work for me. Finally I have found
    something that works for me and I thought I would share
    this information. A natural remedy called "Prevner", which
    I bought online did the trick, cleared up in about 24
    hours.

Cheers. :thumb: