Want to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19? Head to the dedicated subforum .

Quick questions about Nytol...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been unable to sleep recently which i've been trying to sort out by myself (e.g. by tackling the root causes of the problems) but this is taking a while, and as I have exams at the moment I *really* need to get a good nights sleep so I bought some Nytol in the hope that it will help. I've done a couple of searches but couldn't find the exact answers that I was looking for, so:

If it works for me, how long do the effects usually last? Is it very likely that I will wake up feeling groggy in the morning, or does this only happen to a few people? I could do with not waking up feeling too groggy really, what with exams and all. And yes, i've tried all the usual warm milk/exercise/quiet activities etc.

I've taken antihistamines before a while ago for whatever it is that you usually have antihistamines for (I can't remember what) and they didn't make me feel sleepy at all, although they usually knock my friends out. Does this mean that Nytol won't work for me, or do they contain a different type/stronger/larger amount of antihistamine than usual?
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i shouldn't think you'll wake up feeling groggy if you get a good nights sleep. :no:

    i sometimes find it really hard to get to sleep but find that nytol has no affect other than just making me more tired and still unable to sleep!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Waste of money IMHO

    Roasting hot bath, lavender on the pillow should work
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Panthro wrote:
    Roasting hot bath, lavender on the pillow should work

    Yup tried that one, didn't work. Gah.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try a lemonsip with a drop of scotch and a spponful of sugar, my dad swears by it!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nytol is dipenhydramine (as far as I remember), which is different to the antihistamines given for allergies.

    But where a product makes you drowsy, there's always the chance you'll feel groggy the next day. :chin:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    May sound silly, but i have really bad problems sleeping so a few days before exams, i just stay up for a solid 24 hours, and that means i tend to be asleep by 10 and up by 7 for the next few days at least...a temporary solution for exam times, though by no means would i recommend doing it regularly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scarlet wrote:
    Nytol is dipenhydramine (as far as I remember), which is different to the antihistamines given for allergies.

    But where a product makes you drowsy, there's always the chance you'll feel groggy the next day. :chin:

    Thanks :thumb:

    May sound silly, but i have really bad problems sleeping so a few days before exams, i just stay up for a solid 24 hours, and that means i tend to be asleep by 10 and up by 7 for the next few days at least...a temporary solution for exam times, though by no means would i recommend doing it regularly.

    Heh I did that once, it certainly got me to sleep the next day, the effects unfortunately continued over the following few days however :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm on Nytol at the moment, it seems to be working for me. I don't wake up groggy and I fall asleep pretty easily. I was wondering whether it could be a placebo but it practically says on the packet 'I AM NOT A PLACEBO'.
    Whooo knows.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nytol works well, the effects last for a little while, and you shouldn't wake up groggy. You do sometimes wake up with a dry mouth, so keep a glass of water by your bed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find that I quickly build up immunity to Nytol so if I try to use it two nights in a row that the second night it does work.

    My GP warned me about grogginess the day after but I have never experienced this.
  • BunnieBunnie TheSite's sweetie pie Posts: 6,099
    i took nytol for a while, but i found i was sleeping in, and it took an earthquake to wake me up (though incidently i did sleep thru a few tremors a couple of years ago) but once i was up, i was ok, just make sure u have plenty of people to come wake u, or a very loud alarm clock!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems for us serious insomnia sufferers Nytol does absolutely nothing, but for the more general public it does seem to work.

    I've never found it work in the slightest. I'd advise the staying up 24 hours idea.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    last night i swear i woke up every 1-2 hours. :grump:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used nytol last week for 2 conscutive nights. it only took me an hour to get to sleep as opposed to 3-4 but i did find that although nytol relaxed my body and made me feel sleepy, my mind was still buzzing. so i had to concetrate on shutting that down too.
    the next day though i felt soooo tired even though i got a good nights sleep.

    i wouldnt take them again.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    last night i swear i woke up every 1-2 hours. :grump:

    Better than being woken by your cat being sick and then treading in it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote:
    i used nytol last week for 2 conscutive nights. it only took me an hour to get to sleep as opposed to 3-4 but i did find that although nytol relaxed my body and made me feel sleepy, my mind was still buzzing. so i had to concetrate on shutting that down too.
    the next day though i felt soooo tired even though i got a good nights sleep.

    i wouldnt take them again.

    Yeah, I don't think I will bother taking them again. I tried them in the end and they didn't work at all, they just made my arms feel a bit heavy for about 5 minutes and I still didn't get to sleep until about 4am. :grump:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i sometimes find it really hard to get to sleep but find that nytol has no affect other than just making me more tired and still unable to sleep!

    :yes: That's exactly how I feel about all these sleeping aids. Then again most over the counter drugs seem to have little effect on me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find half a Nytol is usually enough for me just to nudge me gently over into sleep - and then not have the problems of grogginess in the morning ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    I find half a Nytol is usually enough for me just to nudge me gently over into sleep - and then not have the problems of grogginess in the morning ...

    Are you one of those people who can 'feel' vitamin pills working?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    I find half a Nytol is usually enough for me just to nudge me gently over into sleep - and then not have the problems of grogginess in the morning ...


    i take 2 and it still doesn't work!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i take 2 and it still doesn't work!

    Its not a cumulative effect, taking more of it wont make it work more. Its not like a benzo or anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes but surely taking half has less of an effect than taking a full 1?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes that's right. Also, taking half often does the trick for me. And if that doesn't work I take another half. Which is good because you can become tolerant to them so a minimal amount is best.

    Occasionally I get groggy feelings in the morning but it does wear off.

    They're only over the counter, so they're not going to sell you something that could bring tranquilise an elephant.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm no elephant. :grump:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Are you one of those people who can 'feel' vitamin pills working?

    No - impertinant sod! :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    No - impertinant sod! :)

    I'm just surprised that anyone can get that much effect from half a nytol, they are totally useless for me, I could pop them on the hour every hour during the day and feel no different.

    Not that thats a good thing of course, I'd rather like not to be an insomniac, but there you go.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm just surprised that anyone can get that much effect from half a nytol, they are totally useless for me, I could pop them on the hour every hour during the day and feel no different.

    Not that thats a good thing of course, I'd rather like not to be an insomniac, but there you go.

    Wow, I would be stuffed if I took more than one in any 24 hour period.

    I guess it must be my metabolism. I find if I have a whole one, I am usually groggy the next day unless I get a full 8 hours or more of sleep in. Half is usually enough unless I have something on my mind then a whole one is better ...

    So what do yo use to help you sleep then? Do you need prescription stuff?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    Wow, I would be stuffed if I took more than one in any 24 hour period.

    I guess it must be my metabolism. I find if I have a whole one, I am usually groggy the next day unless I get a full 8 hours or more of sleep in. Half is usually enough unless I have something on my mind then a whole one is better ...

    So what do yo use to help you sleep then? Do you need prescription stuff?

    Curious, as I said they do absolutely nothing for me, unless combined with about 4 large brandy's.

    I dont have a full time script for sleeping pills no, so in general I dont sleep well or often. But on the occasion I am allowed pills from the GP they do seem to work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Curious, as I said they do absolutely nothing for me, unless combined with about 4 large brandy's.

    I dont have a full time script for sleeping pills no, so in general I dont sleep well or often. But on the occasion I am allowed pills from the GP they do seem to work.

    Ah, brandy! A magical elixir. It's more fun than Nytol anyway ... :razz:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    Ah, brandy! A magical elixir. It's more fun than Nytol anyway ... :razz:

    Certainly, Hine petit champage rare congac is certainly magical. Though dark spirits give you a nasty hangover.
Sign In or Register to comment.