Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Calls for total ban on smacking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Discuss....should parents be allowed to smack their children?

Comments

• Options
    I think claims that smacking harms children's emotional development are far-fetched, and comparisons with child abuse are not based on reality.

I'd like to think we could all bring up our children without having the need to use the negative reinforcement of smacking, but I also don't think it is inherently wrong. Used sparingly as an extreme form of discipline and as long as it is not used routinely, I think it does no harm at all.
  • Options
    Nanny state gone mad.

Half the problem with the yoof of today is that they are not disciplined. Of course, generally there's a better solution than smacking, but a short, sharp shock can do the job where nothing else does.

Comparing it to child abuse in my opinion both paints a distasteful picture of the many parents who have ever smacked a child in the past, and completely belittles real cases of abuse.
  • Options
    i was smacked growing up and it didnt do me any harm whaoever. i thought all children were. :/ it wasnt all the time, but if i was especially naughty then a smack on the back of the legs / bottom.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Punishment is a necessary thing. I know some parents take it to far, but if there is no consequence, a child will never learn right and wrong. And this learning is a very important thing.
  • Options
    Yep... there are so many little mentalists running round that will learn whats wrong from someone else who doesnt care smacking them in later life instead of parents..
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that the people who call for a total ban on smaking have never smaked or been smaked themselves. I say, no ban, it's a parent's choice. Banning smaking will not prevent child abuse, it will only criminalise parents who discipline their children.
  • Options
    i think people should avoid smacking. it shouldnt be the first choice of discipline, but i dont think it should be banned.
  • Options
    i think people should avoid smacking. it shouldnt be the first choice of discipline, but i dont think it should be banned.

What do you think people should do instead then?
  • Options
    What do you think people should do instead then?
    talk to their kids, explain the problem, time out, naughty step, removal of privileges, positive reinforcement of good behaviour, telling off in authoritative tone, consistency with rules, etc etc.
    Sometimes a smack MIGHT be necessary, but I tend to think its the parent losing control more than anything - not that that is unforgiveable or anything. I think hitting should be a complete last resort, as violence can often breed violence.
  • Options
    I think that smacking is unecessary. The age old 'I was smacked as a child and it never did me any harm' *cue deformed pose* is pretty pointless.
    It seems to me that parents generally feel guilty about smacking and feel the need to excuse their behaviour with 'oh but my parents did it'. Smacking is learned behaviour, its a pattern and I think it needs to be broken.

I'm not saying that every smacked child is going to need counselling for the rest of their lives but that child is going to learn that violence is acceptable. I dont geddit. Junior hits Bobby at playgroup so Junior's father smacks Junior to teach him a lesson. HELLO!? Isn't this the same thing? I reckon the age difference makes it all the more worse to be honest.

A parent smacks because THEY lose it. They lose control of the situation. You can come up with plenty of scenarios where you think smacking would be of relevence. One that is often used is 'If a child is walking towards a fire. A quick smack to the back of the legs will deliver the shock factor and save the child from danger'. But surely if you're close enough to whack your kid in the back of the legs..then you are close enough to pull your child away?? I dont think smacking is excusable ever.

I know quite a few of you are rentz on ere so please dont jump on me thinking I am calling you a bad parent. I just might disagree with your method of 'discipline'.
  • Options
    talk to their kids, explain the problem, time out, naughty step, removal of privileges, positive reinforcement of good behaviour, telling off in authoritative tone, consistency with rules, etc etc.
    Sometimes a smack MIGHT be necessary, but I tend to think its the parent losing control more than anything - not that that is unforgiveable or anything. I think hitting should be a complete last resort, as violence can often breed violence.
    thats what i thought :yes: i was smacked, but rarely - and it works. a quick sharp shock is what they need sometimes
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    thats what i thought :yes: i was smacked, but rarely - and it works. a quick sharp shock is what they need sometimes

almost every method is good in moderation
  • Options
    I love it how plenty of those who oppose smacking don’t have children.

I’m pretty indifferent, not a parent so not really a qualified authority on this. Although I don’t see the point in banning smacking. Don’t see how it could be enforced and there is a clear distinction between smacking/discipline and child abuse. The law as it is provides a suitable framework to prosecute in case of the latter.

The thing is most parents don’t gratuitously smack their kids, most do it if their kid ran out into the road or something and only very occasionally smack their child when they believe it’s absolutely essential. There’s a minority that abuse smacking and they’re probably guilty of other forms of child abuse as well that are already outlawed – it should be these people that we’re worrying about; not law-abiding parents disciplining their children. So, I guess I'm not that indifferent. ;)
  • Options
    I love it how plenty of those who oppose smacking don’t have children.

I know plenty of people who oppose smacking and have infact squeezed quite a few out. Anyway, I oppose a man hitting his wife. Yet I don't have a wife. Not experiencing something doesnt stop you from having a strong opinion and it doesn't make it any less valid.
  • Options
    No but sometimes your lack of experience means that you don't understand the reasons behind why the parent has smacked a child.

There are occasions when reasoning is just not possible. I would be interested to know how to reason with a one year old, or why it is better than a mild slap on the back of the hand to teach them not to touch something. Better to use the Pavlov approach than the third degree burns apprach, non?

Smacking has always been my last resort and I haven't used it for some time.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I'm not saying that every smacked child is going to need counselling for the rest of their lives but that child is going to learn that violence is acceptable.

No he's not. Do you believe that I think violence is acceptable?
    I dont geddit. Junior hits Bobby at playgroup so Junior's father smacks Junior to teach him a lesson. HELLO!? Isn't this the same thing?

Your emotive language suggests that Junior's father is actually giving a beating, which is not smacking.

A parent smacks because THEY lose it.

Could be true in some circumstances, certainly not all.
  • Options
    I've been battered quite a few times by my ma and da, didn't do me any harm. I think the decision should be left to the parents on the best way to discipline a child but smacking should always be the last option.
  • Options
    In the old days kids used to get smacked even at school and I have never seen
    anyone that used to go at school back then that was traumatise from it...

Smacking sometimes is the only solution, one of my aunt never used to smack, but her kids went so bad they were playing tennis, football in the house. And when the kids were fighting they used to throw at each other knifes, froks...

She end up cracking up and not just saying they will get smack, but actually do it, she had to the situation was out of control... Specially since she have 5 boys...
  • Options
    theres a difference between a smacking and a beating
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Banning smaking will not prevent child abuse, it will only criminalise parents who discipline their children.

i agree.

i also think the use of the word 'violence' to describe smacking is pretty sensationalist. if you are injuring your child, you are not smacking them, you are hitting them, which is obviously wrong.

smacking should barely hurt, and it works more because it is a shock and they are embarrassed rather than because they are in pain. a lot of the parents i know say they only actually had to smack their child once or twice before they were able to stop doing it, because simply saying 'i'll smack!' works just as well.

i don't want to smack my kids and i hope i never have to, but sometimes you need a last resort, and if i had to do it i would find it ridiculous and downright offensive to be put in a category with people who abuse their kids.
  • Options
    Sometimes kids do go completely apeshit though and dont respond to any amount of talking etc. I suppose watchinhg that nanny program you could put them on the naughty step. Maybe its an old fashioned form of encouragement. I remember being smacked though, as it only happened on a few occasions. Once (I have no idea why) I poured different food ingredients over the floor. Fighting, several times :p. Having a wailing tantrum because I wanted sweeties in the middle of a shop.

Dad never really smacked me though. Mum did but it was never very hard, just enough to make me stop what I was doing. However, because of the 'fear' of it as a punishment, I think in my developmental years I was better behaved. Now, Im not really scared of mum slapping my legs :p but Im in the habit of behaving now. Something that some kids arent.

Of course, if you're clever you could instill a fear of the naughty step into your kids to achieve the same aim.

Not that its relevant, but my sister seldom got smacked because she was a girl, and now shes dropped out of school, my mums picking up fines and summons for her skiving, she hangs out with a bad crowd etc. - my mum thinks the only place she went wrong is she and my dad werent firm enough with her, she got away with murder sometimes.
  • Options
    Some people believe that smacking=eternal chain of hardship and psychological pain for the child and they're mostly condescending pricks...if a mother or father chooses to smack a child then fair play to them...don't judge anyone because you think you have the moral highground!