Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Aggression? You find words on a screen aggressive? :confused:

Aggressive use of words and general tone. Perhaps I haven't understood you properly and of course I don't know you but that's the perception you give off.
    Aggressive use of words and general tone. Perhaps I haven't understood you properly and of course I don't know you but that's the perception you give off.

I swear a lot. I do in real life too. Sorry if that offends you. :confused:
    Blagsta wrote:
    I swear a lot. I do in real life too. Sorry if that offends you. :confused:

Not sure I've said anything about being offended, my point was your habit of being extremely blunt is not something most women would endear to. Doesn't bother me of course but that wasn't exactly my point...
    Blagsta wrote:
    It tells us that the blokes on this forum tend to be sexist wankers.

Sexist? I hardly think so, since the people you're referring to don't make a particular distinction between either sexes when it comes to beeping or making lairy comments.

So if anyone has been sexist on here it is in fact, by definition, you.
    This argument is going nowhere, what's the point?
    Briggi, I'm not being funny, but what are you on about?

Who said it reduces women to tears? Nobody.

You just said yourself you don't like it. We've said a lot of women don't like it. What's put the bee in your bonnet?

If you love being honked and hollered at then say so. That's what Spliffie's arguing. If you don't, then what's the deal?

Spliffie's definition of a representative sample is 1000 people who agree with him. Expect the ramblings of 1000 people who think its cool to do drugs and nick your tea off Tesco.
    Not sure I've said anything about being offended, my point was your habit of being extremely blunt is not something most women would endear to.

:confused::confused: Women don't like people being blunt? Eh? Some do, some don't. Just like men really.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Sexist? I hardly think so, since the people you're referring to don't make a particular distinction between either sexes when it comes to beeping or making lairy comments.

So if anyone has been sexist on here it is in fact, by definition, you.

You appear to be using a different dictionary to the rest of the world.
    The point is spliffie, that men and women have different experiences in this society. Women are overwhelmingly victims of sexual assault, violence, discrimination, objectification, way more so than men.
    dear god, look at all this...the last time i caused something like this was when i made that thread about older men liking me...
    heh me thinks i might need to keep my thoughts to myself in the future...
    Ballerina wrote:
    dear god, look at all this...the last time i caused something like this was when i made that thread about older men liking me...
    heh me thinks i might need to keep my thoughts to myself in the future...

Why? Forums exist to talk, debate and argue.

Keep your thoughts coming :D
    \
    That's what the majority female opinion seems to be on this thread. However, we are all wrong, and will continue to be wrong until we think the same as Spliffie. For his part, he will shout at us until we say he is right. Which isn't going to happen.
    Blagsta wrote:
    The point is spliffie, that men and women have different experiences in this society. Women are overwhelmingly victims of sexual assault, violence, discrimination, objectification, way more so than men.

I accept that.

The difference in opinion, however, appears to lie with the fact the females you know hold diametrically opposed opinions on this to the females i know. I don't do lairy comments to random women, but whenever i see it happening the response isn't such that would lead me to agree everyone who does it in any circumstance is an absolute cunt. Also i talked with my g/f about this last night and as someone who is very middle class, socially reserved and uncomfortable with lairy people (myself after a noseful the exception) my opinion is largely unchanged.

It may have something to do with cultural difference. Being from glasgow there's a thickness of skin and darkness of character, that's something which is true of the scottish psyche generally. People up here are very different in attitude to people i know well from london.
    That's what the majority female opinion seems to be on this thread. However, we are all wrong, and will continue to be wrong until we think the same as Spliffie. For his part, he will shout at us until we say he is right. Which isn't going to happen.

Oh right. So i'm not allowed to contest my opinion? You seem to have a serious problem with other people daring to actually speak their mind to you. Remember when you stormed off politics and debate because someone had the audacity to correct you? :rolleyes:

If you don't like what i say then don't bother replying to me.
    I have no problem with you expressing your opinion, I have a problem with you trying to force your opinion on everyone else on this thread. In a very simplified form, it seems like the females on this thread are saying 'When it happens to me, I don't like it, I find it threatening and I wish blokes wouldn't do it' and you are saying that we are wrong for finding it threatening.

And the Politics forum thing? That has nothing to do with this!
    I have no problem with you expressing your opinion, I have a problem with you trying to force your opinion on everyone else on this thread. In a very simplified form, it seems like the females on this thread are saying 'When it happens to me, I don't like it, I find it threatening and I wish blokes wouldn't do it' and you are saying that we are wrong for finding it threatening.

And the Politics forum thing? That has nothing to do with this!

What someone finds threatening is entirely subjective. So no, i'm not saying they're wrong as such - people can't help their instinctual reaction to a situation.
    Spliffie wrote:
    What someone finds threatening is entirely subjective. So no, i'm not saying they're wrong as such - people can't help their instinctual reaction to a situation.

No, but you are saying its their fault for "not taking the compliment". As if they're an ungrateful bitch for not laughing along. You, Skive and Turlough basically said that Franki should have "taken the compliment", and had no right to get upset or threatened by it.

Getting back to it, there is no excuse for hooting and hollering at someone you do not know. Some people will like the attention, some will give back as good as they get, but most will not like the hassle. So why do it?

Kaff was right, it is just a joke from braindead people. But that don't make it acceptable, right, or proper.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, but you are saying its their fault for "not taking the compliment". As if they're an ungrateful bitch for not laughing along. You, Skive and Turlough basically said that Franki should have "taken the compliment", and had no right to get upset or threatened by it.

No, I haven't. You're misinterpreting what i've said because you're stupid or on a wind-up.
    Getting back to it, there is no excuse for hooting and hollering at someone you do not know. Some people will like the attention, some will give back as good as they get, but most will not like the hassle. So why do it?

Kaff was right, it is just a joke from braindead people. But that don't make it acceptable, right, or proper.

She's right when she says this.
    kaffrin wrote:
    the idea of there being blame anywhere in this situation is silly.

man doesn't realise woman could be offended by honking.

woman doesn't realise man means no malice by lighthearted honking.

simple misunderstanding, no?

Which has been the essence of what i've been saying.
    i dont like it when someone beeps with a really loud horn because i usually jump and then i feel like an idiot!
    i dont mind it though, and when people wave at me i wave back.

the thing is, i don't mind whistles or beeps, or 'you're beautiful' etc its just when it comes to comments like 'get your tits out' that i dont like.

tbh, this is nothing compared to what i went through in france! i used to get followed and harrassed daily there. awful.
    \
    oooh the 'smile luv' really pisses me off! if i walked around with a smile on my face people would think im crazy!

i was walking out of a shop once and the security guard comes over to me. and im like oh shit does he think ive pinched something. no he just wanted to tell em i'd be really beautiful if i just smiled.

last time someone said it to me i shouted 'ive got nothing to fucking smile about!' to him. but i had just lost my purse.
    i'd like to know why these men (and women) can't keep their eyes where they should be (on the road) and their thoughts to themselves
    lipsy wrote:
    oooh the 'smile luv' really pisses me off! if i walked around with a smile on my face people would think im crazy!

i was walking out of a shop once and the security guard comes over to me. and im like oh shit does he think ive pinched something. no he just wanted to tell em i'd be really beautiful if i just smiled.

that pisses me off too! i don't get it as much as i do, but generally get it at work. i'm just not one of these people that walks around with a grin on their face 24/7. doesn't mean i'm unhappy!
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'd like to know why these men (and women) can't keep their eyes where they should be (on the road) and their thoughts to themselves

oh come on, you mean if you were driving you wouldn't just be randomly looking at people as they walk past?
    the one that really gets me is "smile, it might never happen", which i got when walking past some builders at 7am on my way to work.

tell them if you were smiling, it wouldn't be at them, so they shouldn't let it bother them.
    kaffrin wrote:
    tell them if you were smiling, it wouldn't be at them, so they shouldn't let it bother them.
    ive started saying that too 'erm, not at you!'
    \
    It pisses me off when my FRIENDS tell me to smile, when builders and old men start telling me to, I just get a huge fuck off scowl on my face. I don't DO smiling.
    Every one at work always asks me if I'm okay to which the answer is normally: If you lot stopped bloody producing so much data that was fucking wrong for me to sort out on my own I might smile as I wouldn't be so stressed in the first place. And can you fix my fucking computer. :mad:

I just dont smile.