Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    all of you

Does that include me? :D
    Blagsta wrote:
    So one female on the thread isn't really bothered, but admits that it is annoying. All the other females don't like it.

What does that tell us?

Not much. This forum is hardly representative of the female population.
    maybe i'll make a poll?
    Spliffie wrote:
    How about all my friends at college who also get pissed off at it?
    Spliffie wrote:

What, in your opinion, would be representative of the female population?
    Franki wrote:
    How about all my friends at college who also get pissed off at it?

How about all my friends at uni who don't mind it? I asked as many as possible last night, only my g/f had mixed feelings on it and that largely depended on the situation.
    What, in your opinion, would be representative of the female population?

A study of 1,000 females surveyed at random would be more accurate. This forum really isn't representative, few if any internet forums are.
    FFS, both "sides" of this argument have sidelined the views of women. It happens every single time there's a thread of this nature. Those of you who find yourselves standing up for the meek, frightened little lady should consider that just because someone has been abused or raped it doesn't mean they wouldn't say boo to a goose in the future. Or that they're petrified when someone hollers at them from a car window. Some may be, but using rape and abuse victims to prove a point about generally harmless, clueless and chancing men is insulting to those of us who have been through such things.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, and I respect that some of you have a heightened awareness of the things women are sensitive to. But really, I find it incredibly frustrating to read this thread and be told that because I'm female and may have had bad experiences with men in the past that I am threatened and moved to tears by such occurences.
    Spliffie wrote:
    How about all my friends at uni who don't mind it? I asked as many as possible last night, only my g/f had mixed feelings on it and that largely depended on the situation.

A study of 1,000 females surveyed at random would be more accurate. This forum really isn't representative, few if any internet forums are.

Or in other words i dont like this evidence so im going to dismiss it.

The girls here are normal enough, they are teenage girls and young women. Maybe thats because they're not all pikeys mind...
    Spliffie wrote:

Granted, you might be technically right that this forum isn't fantastically representative. But random isn't necessarily actually more representative either.

That's not really the point though. What you appear to be failing to grasp is that this is an incredibly emotive topic for some people and any kind of statistics isn't going to make a difference to that.
    Renzo wrote:
    Or in other words i dont like this evidence so im going to dismiss it.

The girls here are normal enough, they are teenage girls and young women. Maybe thats because they're not all pikeys mind...

Errr...no.

I listen more to what people i know personally of differing class, opinion and subculture have to say on the matter.

I don't know too many 'pikeys' from richer backgrounds than myself doing Honours in English lit/politics/philosophy either :rolleyes:
    Miffy wrote:
    Granted, you might be technically right that this forum isn't fantastically representative. But random isn't necessarily actually more representative either.

That's not really the point though. What you appear to be failing to grasp is that this is an incredibly emotive topic for some people and any kind of statistics isn't going to make a difference to that.

If you think statistics don't make a difference then why bring it up?
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you think statistics don't make a difference then why bring it up?

Maybe statistics wasn't the best way to put it. Let's say empirical evidence instead. You alluded to it by saying that this forum isn't representative.

And what it doesn't make a difference to is how emotive a topic this is to some people, not that it makes no difference full stop.
    What gives people the right to hoot at other people when they are walking down the street? ffs Spliffie! Give it a rest. Generally (given the responses on this thread) girls don't like it. Ok? It has nothing to do with them not taking it as a joke, or whatever, but just leave it! I doubt you are going to stop doing it as a result of this thread, but do you really expect girls to start 'taking the compliment' just because that's how you think we should take it?

Errr...I don't even do it :rolleyes:
    Maybe statistics wasn't the best way to put it. Let's say empirical evidence instead. You alluded to it by saying that this forum isn't representative.

In reply to the implication that a conclusion can drawn from female opinion on this thread. So i really didn't allude to anything of the sort.
    Spliffie wrote:
    In reply to the implication that a conclusion can drawn from female opinion on this thread. So i really didn't allude to anything of the sort.

:rolleyes: Whatever, you're really splitting hairs now. As far as I'm concerned you referred indirectly to something more scientific than qualitative evidence by mentioning representativeness; I didn't say "you started it".

What I'm trying to point out is that for you this is an abstraction, would you at least agree with that? And that someone who has had a bad experience is unlikely to be able to abstract the issue. That was my point, pure and simple.

Right, now I'm off, firstly because I get the feeling you'd argue till you're blue in the face when I wasn't even actually countering anything you said and secondly because I have other things to do.
    Miffy wrote:
    Does that include me? :D

Dunno, depends how old you are.
    Spliffie wrote:

It tells us that the blokes on this forum tend to be sexist wankers.
    briggi wrote:
    FFS, both "sides" of this argument have sidelined the views of women. It happens every single time there's a thread of this nature. Those of you who find yourselves standing up for the meek, frightened little lady should consider that just because someone has been abused or raped it doesn't mean they wouldn't say boo to a goose in the future. Or that they're petrified when someone hollers at them from a car window. Some may be, but using rape and abuse victims to prove a point about generally harmless, clueless and chancing men is insulting to those of us who have been through such things.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, and I respect that some of you have a heightened awareness of the things women are sensitive to. But really, I find it incredibly frustrating to read this thread and be told that because I'm female and may have had bad experiences with men in the past that I am threatened and moved to tears by such occurences.

I haven't told you anything of the sort. :confused: Time of the month is it luv?
    Blagsta wrote:
    It tells us that the blokes on this forum tend to be sexist wankers.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Time of the month is it luv?

:hyper:
    Its called "irony". Look it up sometime.
    Blagsta wrote:

My post was called 'humour' perhaps you could check it out at the same time.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I haven't told you anything of the sort. :confused: Time of the month is it luv?

You're a prick.
    Blagsta wrote:

Unfortunatly it's something that doesn't come accross very well in text...
    Spliffie wrote:

I listen more to what people i know personally of differing class, opinion and subculture have to say on the matter.

Yes, so do I.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, so do I.

I think you [all] listen to what you want to hear, from whom you wish to listen to, so you can back up your opinion and continue to sideline women's views and then bleat on about it as if you aren't the ones doing it.
    briggi wrote:
    You're a prick.

And you're daft. You have no idea what my personal circumstances are. Instead of working yourself up into a self-righteous froth, try thinking. Try thinking that I might actually have women close to me who have been abused. Who are still very strong and forthright, who will tell men to piss off if they're being arseholes, who aren't at all the "the meek, frightened little lady" or "petrified when someone hollers at them from a car window.", (where did that come from anyway? Certainly not anything I wrote, it came from your head) but who still get angry that men feel the right to behave in this way. Maybe have a think too that I might know women who haven't been abused but still get angry about it. Just use yer fucking brain.
    briggi wrote:
    I think you [all] listen to what you want to hear, from whom you wish to listen to, so you can back up your opinion and continue to sideline women's views and then bleat on about it as if you aren't the ones doing it.

What the fuck are you on about now?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Try thinking that I might actually have women close to me who have been abused. Who are still very strong and forthright, who will tell men to piss off if they're being arseholes, who aren't at all the "the meek, frightened little lady" or "petrified when someone hollers at them from a car window.", (where did that come from anyway? Certainly not anything I wrote, it came from your head) but who still get angry that men feel the right to behave in this way. Maybe have a think too that I might know women who haven't been abused but still get angry about it. Just use yer fucking brain.

I'd find it hard to believe you have many women close to you judging by the agression in most of your posts.
    Blagsta wrote:
    And you're daft. You have no idea what my personal circumstances are. Instead of working yourself up into a self-righteous froth, try thinking. Try thinking that I might actually have women close to me who have been abused. Who are still very strong and forthright, who will tell men to piss off if they're being arseholes, who aren't at all the "the meek, frightened little lady" or "petrified when someone hollers at them from a car window.", (where did that come from anyway? Certainly not anything I wrote, it came from your head) but who still get angry that men feel the right to behave in this way. Maybe have a think too that I might know women who haven't been abused but still get angry about it. Just use yer fucking brain.

That's fair enough, you may know women who've been in situations I can't even begin to imagine. It's fair enough that you're indignant on their behalf and protective of their right to walk down the street undisturbed by men in cars (my previous sentence was paraphrasing from this entire thread, I apologise for deviating from your exact terminology). I have no doubt that more than a few males on this board have loved ones who've been through terrible things, but you seem to think that knowing the opinions of women who've been abused makes your views on the subject worth more than mine - as someone who has experienced both abuse, and daft bastards in cars. Is there any need to systematically destroy the opinion of anyone who thinks differently about a subject than you? It seems to be something of a pasttime round here.

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss it anymore since it's not exactly my favourite subject.
    I'd find it hard to believe you have many women close to you judging by the agression in most of your posts.

Aggression? You find words on a screen aggressive? :confused:
    briggi wrote:
    but you seem to think that knowing the opinions of women who've been abused makes your views on the subject worth more than mine

Where have I done that? :confused::confused::confused: