Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What looks bad on the opposite sex

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Panthro wrote:

You should've felt right at home then, coming from airdrie :lol:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :lol: funny I found this one (attachment) whats up with those glasses? Is that a joke?

Those sunnies are awesome. I doubt that chavs would wear aviators. Fake Police, Dior, Chanel etc. etc. YES!
  • Options
    I love the chav "if it's got a brand name on it, it must look good" style of dress. The bigger the logo, the better. Even better if it's something like those Nikes with the bubble (or springs now) in the heel so they're unmistakable. Makes for some very amusing outfits.

Oh and just to add something to my ever increasing list, (I'm not really bothered, honest) those clothes with bike or car logos on them. Especially people who wear Ferrari or Porsche clothes, when it's obvious they could never afford one.
  • Options
    Oh and just to add something to my ever increasing list, (I'm not really bothered, honest) those clothes with bike or car logos on them. Especially people who wear Ferrari or Porsche clothes, when it's obvious they could never afford one.

Why shouldn't they wear clothes with "Ferrari" on? Do you feel the same way about people wearing football and rugby shirts, too? After all, I doubt many of them could afford to buy the club.

I don't think "chavs" (I think you should all know the word is actually "charver", and originated in the West End of Newcastle over a decade ago :p ) dress that way feeling it's a "uniform", at all. I think that style of dress suits most of the stuff they're spending their time doing (I mean, they aren't exactly off to a cocktail party, are they?) and they probably don't give two figs about style etc. Most of the time, anyway.
  • Options
    band/singer tshirts/hoodies :no:
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    You should've felt right at home then, coming from airdrie :lol:

Aye right. Stirling boy.
  • Options
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Anything that doesn't suit them.
    Too right.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Aye right. Stirling boy.

Not at all ;)
  • Options
    Oh I know this isn't the opposite sex, but I had to share. I saw a chick wearing a denim skirt with one of those lame studded belts with black leggings that cut off right below the knee and black pumps.

Needless to say we all had a good laugh for a minute ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh I know this isn't the opposite sex, but I had to share. I saw a chick wearing a denim skirt with one of those lame studded belts with black leggings that cut off right below the knee and black pumps.

*shudders* the 80s are coming back to haunt us...
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

welcome to england :)

its shit innit
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    *shudders* the 80s are coming back to haunt us...

Lucky its few and far between else I'd have myself an anyurisim.

And whats with men in tight flared jeans. Talk about a sure fire way to lose your lunch.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    briggi wrote:
    I think you should all know the word is actually "charver", and originated in the West End of Newcastle over a decade ago

I think you should know that chav and chavie is a common word in the Romany language word that means mate, or young kid.
    I've been using the word chav for over 15 years.

Chav didn't come from Charver and it didn't come from Chatham. It's a modern equivalent of 'Gypo'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lets debate the word monkey next :hyper: I've been using it for over 27 years.
  • Options
    I just thought that chav was invented by the media, because I'm from the land of chavs (the north west) and nobody here had heard of it when it started to get used in the papers a few years ago. It was always scallies or townies up here. And I know that every other region seemed to have their own word for them. What region is chav from then?
  • Options
    I just thought that chav was invented by the media, because I'm from the land of chavs (the north west) and nobody here had heard of it when it started to get used in the papers a few years ago. It was always scallies or townies up here. And I know that every other region seemed to have their own word for them. What region is chav from then?

I was told that chav was a shortening of cheltenam average...not sure if it is true though? :chin:
  • Options
    men who carry too much in their pockets, I find that very offputting
  • Options
    I was told that chav was a shortening of cheltenam average...not sure if it is true though? :chin:

Thats what i heard my old teacher worked at a posh school in Cheltenam and he said its what all the kids used to call everyone else and this was way before it became the medias favourite word
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    men who carry too much in their pockets, I find that very offputting

Or men that wear the pants with the extra large pockets that go down to the knees.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    film_buff wrote:
    Thats what i heard my old teacher worked at a posh school in Cheltenam and he said its what all the kids used to call everyone else and this was way before it became the medias favourite word

There you go.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-cha2.htm
    Weekender Offender