Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student stuff's making me anxious

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with everyone else. There are tons of students over 18/19. Think about it: anyone who's ever been held back a year, anyone who's taken a gap year, anyone who's repeated a year, anyone who's changed courses. And practically every international student I knew was over 20 when they started, so you've got nothing to worry about, especially since the differance is so small.

As for other essential things at uni (assuming you're staying in halls):

TV and DVD player (although I did do film and TV so perhaps moreso for me): a big one (preferably with a games console) will allow you to invite people round to yours. Easy ice breaker to let everyone to have a quick game and get to know each other before you go out. Freeview makes you quite popular.

George Foreman Grill: make sure you clean it out often though, cos those little trays that catch the fat were the bane of my second year. It's quicker and easier to clean than a full grill and cooks all the same stuff. Go on, Grill with George. :thumb:

An Iron: plus a board is something you might want to invest in, since the ones in halls tend to be crap and always in use.

Clothes racks: Saves a lot of money on tumble drying, (plus some clothes can't go in) but make sure you're heating's on at the time, cause otherwise they don't dry and you get that horrible wet smell.

Those little plastic drawers from Argos (keep all your own cooking utensils in your room, or others will use them and not wash them, plus keep all you bank statements, uni letters etc separate from all your other stuff). Also those little plastic cutlery separators that you put in drawers, and those things that you use to drain them. Plus a washing up bowl (handy for taking everyone elses crap out of the sink, washing your own, then putting all their crap back - I never do other peoples washing up). Essentially, go to one of those shops that sells all that sort of plastic crap, and buy everything. It's all dirt cheap (about £1 each). But you'll get a better idea about this sort of stuff when you get there, since it may be there already.

Alarm clock: get you up in time for lectures.

A heater: if you've already paid for electricity in with you rent, go nuts (seriously, you've paid for it, keep it on permanantly). Convection heaters a good for a quick boost. Otherwise only use when you need to dry clothes etc. About £15+ depending on how powerful you want it.

Cutlery and crockery: Everyone seemed to have their own even though our halls provided them. It's just handier to have your own that only you are responsible for washing up etc. You can get both for about £10, so it's worth it.

Cooking Utensils: one big frying pan, one or two saucepans, two oven trays (seriously DO NOT let anyone else use your oven trays. You can gaurantee someone with scratch the shit out of them, and then all your food will stick to it), wooden spatula, metal spatula, thing to put over bowls in the microwave, to stop things exploding over everything, a set of knives, everything else (blender, steamer, wok etc) depends on what you might want to cook. All of this stuff is pretty cheap (under £5 each)

Plenty of cleaning stuff: Kitchen roll (everyone seems to forget this, but it's much easier to wipe up a spill straight away than wait a week 'til it dried on), those Mr. Muscle wipes (much better than spray, cos you don't have to put up with keeping skanky old sponges tht you've cleaned the toilet with - if you've got five people living with you, not everyone knows which is the sponge for the toilet, and which is the sponge for the kitchen surfaces - think about it), washing up sponges (one pack should do for the year, but you can be sure that people will always use the nice, new, clean sponge to remove their crusty burnt-on crap from the pan), rubber gloves - for cleaning the oven, bin bags (you'd be surprised how little clue some people have about basic things like putting a bin bag in the bin before you pour all of your leftovers into it).

TWO sets of bedsheets:
    that way you can throw up on one, and you can wait til the morning to sort it. :D Change them often, or no-one but you will ever want to sleep in your bed.

Laundry basket: absolutely essential if you want to avoid having clothes all over the place. Only bring clothes you're actually gonna wear, because by the end of uni, all I had in the bottom half of my basket was stuff which I'd worn once, and wasn't gonna waste my money washing again when I probably wouldn't wear it. I had a wooden frame one in my first year and it broke, so I got a metal frame one, which still exists (gave it to my friend).

A freezer: more for the second year and depending on whether you have enough space. If you have a few friends you can trust by then, buy one between you (£120 for a decent size one, which isn't much between 5 or 6 of you), then at the end of uni sell it and split the money. You'll soon find out that everyone buys frozen stuff, then wonders why the tiny little freezer compartment gets full when shared between 5 people.

Lot's of posters and pictures of friends because halls are so dull, so anything you can do to brighten it up basically. Our uni had a poster sale at the start of each year, for this very reason. Everyone also seemed to have fairly lights for some reason. Air freshner is also useful, the kind that continually releases smell, or scented candles.

I know you said your a mature student, but if you're parents are dropping you off, and offer to buy you your first lot of shopping, take this opportunity to stock up on stuff which doesn't go off, like rice, tins and cereal. And don't feel guilty about it.

Finally, for me at least, lots and lots of extension leads. You'll usually only get two or four sockets. I had 3 six-way extentions in my final year, and still couldn't plug everything in at once.

Just remember that your bedroom will often be your dining room and you living room too, so it important to be clean or you'll end up living in a shithole. So anything you can do to remove clutter (use a TV/DVD as a CD player, for example) will help.

God that's long.
  • Options
    I'm With Stupid, that's a really good list. A couple of things are a bit luxurious and I wouldn't count them as essentials, eg the George Foreman grill, and a huge TV! I did my first term without my tv so I brought it back with me, and I feel much better for it!

Things I have that are a bit different from the above list
    TV
    Laptop + Printer
    2 x desk lamps
    Kettle for your room - totally worth it
    Crockery wise - 2 x dinner plates, 2 x sandwich plates, 2 x bowls, somehow I have about 7 mugs, don't know why! Oven proof dish.
    Cutlery wise - 2 forks, 2 knives, 1 butter knife (I had to steal one from home because it turned out mine were too pointy to spread stuff!), 2 spoons, 2 teaspoons, 1 sharp vegetable knife
    Cooking stuff: 1 big frying pan/wok thing, small frying pan for eggs etc, 3 saucepans (S,M,L) all with lids, collander (but I generally drain stuff with a lid, although you can steam your veg in a collander over a pan of boiling water), baking tray (Agree with I'm with stupid - NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET OTHER PEOPLE USE YOUR BAKING TRAY!)
    And the utensils I got from Tesco value, and they were 38p each: 3x wooden spoons, 1x plastic ladle thing, 1x holey spoon, 1x wooden spatula spoon thing, 1x plastic holey lifting spatula thing, 1x potato masher.
    A measuring jug is also useful. (I use mine for keeping my utensils in!)
    Don't forget a chopping board.

As people have said before, this is really good.
  • Options
    personally i'd buy alot of things when you get there. i brought a whole loads of stuff that my flatmates ended up having and i'm in my 2nd year and still never taken out of the box! kitchen equiptment is a good idea to see whats already there before you buy and if you're short you can pick up some really cheap stuff from tesco.

are you in halls or a house? i've found that in most houses people are quite willing to share blenders, geroge forman, knives and forks, irons and even tellys if you can't afford one.

you're very sensible wanting to learn how to cook cos on you'r budget its alot cheaper to cook meals from scratch. check out tesco value!

oh and don't worry so much! it'll all come naturally once you get there :)
  • Options
    best bits:
    making lots of new friends
    student nights out, cheap drinks
    going out allll the time
    independence
    freedom
    laziness
    daytime tv
    living with your mates

bad bits:
    essays
    exams
    presentations

as for what you'll need:
    tv, computer, music, photos of your family, pots and pans, toaster, kettle, camera and just your general day to day clothes and toiletries.
  • Options
    fucking hell im with stupid, how long did that take you? :p
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    fucking hell im with stupid, how long did that take you? :p
    I was waiting for stuff to download (well actually, attach to emails - it takes ages) and wanted to go to bed so thought I'd make use of my time.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I've nothing against takeaways and microwaves. Indeed, they have proven to be my best friends on some nights - but I want to be able to cook a little more than I can now regardless. Maybe I'm being too sensible here.

Its dead easy to learn half a dozen evening meals, that way you wont be stuck eating crap all the time and will ocasionally have something decent. Plus of course ability to cook something moderately decent is a good thing with the ladies (not that you should be getting involved at your young age).
  • Options
    Cooking is easy... Personally I think people who say they can't cook haven't tried, or are copping out. It's very easy... Chipsunder the grill, egg in the pan... Burgers inthe oven ect

Uni isn't so bad... It's actually quite fun being independent.
  • Options
    :yes: i always used to think i couldnt cook but really it was just because i was too lazy to make the effort. which i still am really... but i know that if i had to, i could manage to make something half-decent.